Amazing Northern Lights Display

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lindy

Did anyone else see the most amazing Northern Lights display last night? It was seen around Chicago to MCI approximately 0300 local. (it may have been a larger area, just that is where we saw the display).

Many years of flying and many years of night freight, I have never seen such vibrant red and movement as I did last night. It looked almost "arced" similiar to a rainbow arc; the lights extended red, white, bluish-green in the arc and eminating vertical.

Truly a beautiful and wonderful sight to behold.

Would anyone know if it has something to do with the solar eruption/flash of late?

Yes, it has everything to do with the recent solar storm...

I saw a pretty good display on Sunday night northwest of Calgary on my way to Anchorage at FL400... Tnight is supposed to be even better... too bad I don't have a flight to go on tonight.

A solar storm.

Unfortunately it was cloudy in Fairbanks last night so I missed it. But this morning is clear so maybe there will be a little left over tonight.

Red is the rarest color to be seen so it must have been a heck of a storm.

After eight years in Alaska all I've ever seen is green. Oh well.

I was doing the red eye last night from LAS to PIE. Not a cloud in the sky the whole way. Up at 410.When we were just north of Lubbock Texas we saw the red lights/glowing/streaking to the north/NE. It was simply amazing. I think it might have something to do with the solar flare. We could see it til we got to the gulf of mexico. I love this job.

anyone know how long it will last? or is it just like, one-night only, get it while it's hot, kind of thing? i'll be up north on saturday, but down south till then.

I saw northern lights every year I lived in North Dakota, usually the best displays were in late summer-early fall. These are more active and brighter than usual due to the solar flare activity.

It looks like it's going to be cloudy in Chicago this evening as usual so no go tonight for Logolight...hey that kinda rhymed.

I saw it across new york state tonight. I saw green, blue, and red.....the red was the best part. The light even reflected off the wing. And i could see it barely while on the ground too.

Latest resources

Back