• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Amazing Northern Lights Display

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I ditto what FalconCapt said about the lights during the Anchorage runs this week...

Between PANC and Yellowknife it was the best I have ever seen!

totally worth staying awake for...

:D

saw it tonight near lewisburg, wv (wed night)

green with red

Any effects to the GPS or mag compass due to this storm?

MarineGrunt said:
Any effects to the GPS or mag compass due to this storm?
I heard it shut down the Maglevs for a few hours.

On the plus side, it's giving the chemtrails a striking hue... :D

from spaceweather.com (I had it bookmarked before it was mentioned above .. :cool: < nerd glasses :D )

One of the most powerful solar flares in years erupted from giant sunspot 486 on Oct. 28th. The blast measured X17 on the Richter scale of solar flares. As a result of the explosion, a strong S3-class solar radiation storm is underway. The explosion also hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) toward Earth. The CME struck Earth's magnetic field on Oct. 29th and sparked an intense geomagnetic storm.

and..
Meanwhile, another CME is heading our way. It was hurled toward Earth by giant sunspot 486, which unleashed an X11-class solar flare at 2049 UT on Oct. 29th. The fast-moving cloud could excite more auroras when it arrives on or about Halloween.

and one last tidbit for those of you wanting to be at FL400...

S3

Strong

Biological: radiation hazard avoidance recommended for astronauts on EVA; passengers and crew in commercial jets at high latitudes may receive low-level radiation exposure (approximately 1 chest x-ray).

It says a S5 storm is the equivalent of 10 chest xrays!!

"how can it hurt you if it looks so good?" :D :D :cool:

Hmmm. I flew all day. And all evening and into the night. I didn't see any northern lights (or any rogue southern ones, either). All I saw was smoke.

But if you shine a flashlight through it with a lens cover, it does take on a sort of reddish hue.

*Another* cloudy night in Fairbanks

Well, I got gipped again. More clouds.

But Barrow needs their soda pop so that's where I'm headed. The sun doesn't rise there for another 3 or 4 hours so maybe I still have a chance.

Later.

FlyChicaga said:
Man, they better call me to fly tonight!!!

FlyChicaga you better remove that chick on the left because I have already spent like 30 min staring at her in the last 2 days... don't even post the URL where I can see the full size 1600-1200 pixel image because I don't need to see that. Thx.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back