• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I The Only One Left?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been caught without cash. Feels like crap when the guy is waiting for you at the airport and throws your bags around.

I will pay the $2.50 fee at an ATM to avoid leaving these guys without a tip.

if the van is not there within 15 minutes - no tip.

if he doesn't get out to load the bags - no tip.

I dont tip if I have to wait more than about 10 minutes and they dont load my bags. If they get there after a short wait and load our bags, I always tip.

It may not be the driver's fault if they're late.

Do the pax tip you for getting them to their destination safely????

No. Flying pax is not even comparable to driving a hotel van. Tips are essentially to encourage great service. As a pilot (if you're not corporate/charter), sometimes you don't even see the pax. I hope you don't expect a tip to do your job. What's your point again?

No. Flying pax is not even comparable to driving a hotel van. Tips are essentially to encourage great service. As a pilot (if you're not corporate/charter), sometimes you don't even see the pax. I hope you don't expect a tip to do your job. What's your point again?

And here I thought the van driver's job was to drive you to and from the airport and not collect one dollar bills.

Do the pax tip you for getting them to their destination safely????

-Do I handle their bags?

-Driving the van is the van guy's primary job. Getting the bags out and remembering which ones belong to whom is a very nice bonus-that is the reason I tip.

-Have some class, we need to represent our profesion well-especially these days.

The company has set up transportation for the crewmembers. They negotiate and PAY for the services that will be required. Our contract states that if food is not available, the hotel will provide transportation to meet the dietary needs of the crew.
When Joe the sales man takes a client out to dinner does he tip the server with his own money? NO! He adds it to the company expense report. When my airline reimburses me for tips to van drivers I will tip them. I don't pay to work, I work to get paid.
PS I waited tables for over 10 years, I know how tipping works. I always tip 20%+ because they have to claim it all. Unless you pay for the meal with a card and tip with cash, then uncle sam won't know :).
Van drivers don't submit weekly tip reports to the hotel for tax purposes. If they don't get taxed on it, it's not a legal source of income.

And here I thought the van driver's job was to drive you to and from the airport and not collect one dollar bills.

It can also be said that a bartenders job is to make and serve their customers' drinks, not collect one dollar bills.

Latest resources

Back