Am I The Only One Left?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
-Do I handle their bags?

-Have some class, we need to represent our profesion well-especially these days.

I don't know about you, but I regularly carry someone's bag down to the cargo compartment when it won't fit in the overhead (just as the FA said it wouldn't).

Anyway, I normally tip, but if I'm out of cash, I don't sweat it too much.

both sides are correct on this argument. When i was an fo suffering from teeth pain and barely making it, i sometimes didn't tip. I also never went out and spent no money on myself. Now that i am making a livable wage i tip.

Not to hijack the thread but on a similar subject: Do you leave a tip for the maid when you leave your hotel room on an over night?

I ask because my Mother-in-law used to be a maid in her younger days and she says it is a pretty common practice.

I started leaving a buck but I think I am a minority.

4 trips per hour x 4-8 crewmembers per trip = potential of $32/hr.
A driver at SFO told me while waiting for a pax one day he averages $45/hr.

Be reasonably on time, drive safely, be polite and professional, you'll get my buck. No different in any other tipping situation.

W

It may not be the driver's fault if they're late.
That may or may not be true. I don't really know how they work. I think there are times when the driver drops off one crew when the inbound crew will be out there in about 7 minutes. The driver just heads back to the hotel only to get called back enroute or turn around as soon as he gets back to the hotel. If these drivers had an incentive, they might use their heads a little more. Also, if they have an incentive, they might be a little more likely to confront management about what works and what doesn't. They might be more likely to watch flight aware instead of American Idol if it effects their money.

I have no way of knowing if they are part of the problem or not. Either way, if I wait more than :15, NO TIP.

If I have to load my own bag, NO TIP.

The company has set up transportation for the crewmembers. They negotiate and PAY for the services that will be required. Our contract states that if food is not available, the hotel will provide transportation to meet the dietary needs of the crew.
When Joe the sales man takes a client out to dinner does he tip the server with his own money? NO! He adds it to the company expense report. When my airline reimburses me for tips to van drivers I will tip them. I don't pay to work, I work to get paid.
PS I waited tables for over 10 years, I know how tipping works. I always tip 20%+ because they have to claim it all. Unless you pay for the meal with a card and tip with cash, then uncle sam won't know :).
Van drivers don't submit weekly tip reports to the hotel for tax purposes. If they don't get taxed on it, it's not a legal source of income.

As long as you're not claiming it on your taxes then I'm OK with it. I however, tip the standard $1 per ride (from the a/p, the gym or restaurant, whatever) and then deduct it on my taxes. My biggest pet peeve is waiting and for that I won't tip. If they don't load my bags, well then it depends on the driver. I wouldn't let my Grandma or my pregnant wife load my bags, would you? If she's on time I'll get my own bags and leave her the buck.

It all depends on the attitude and service. I'll hand out a dollar or two dollars if it's deserved. I really don't put much thought, or care on what others do. It's a personal preference.

Cheap Ba$tard$!

It's only $6 on a 4 day trip

TIP THE VAN DRIVER!

701EV

Latest resources

Back