• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I The Only One Left?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And maybe the buffoon who said that I stated we should compare W2's to determine if we should tip him or not apparently didn't read my post. I merely contend that those who are suffering financial hardship, which any Regional FO does and even some TP CA's are if they are trying to support themselves on their salary alone, should not have to spend upwards of 30 bucks a month, nearly $400 a year just because our jobs require us to receive hotel transportation to and from the job. If you have 400 bucks a year to tip van drivers, congratulations. I DON'T!! If the van drivers want more money then maybe they too can spend a small fortune on a college degree and tons of flight training and become pilots like us!! Errr, uhhh, what am I thinking? Disregard. Momentarily I thought I was a pilot pre 9-11 when we actually had a reasonable career path to big money. Silly me. I forgot I am involved in a profession with a bunch of back stabbers and sellouts with the most impotent union known to the history of mankind. ALPO!!

And I merely contend that if you are of the mindset that since you are poor and that the van driver obviously makes more money than you is good enough for you to be the cheap a$$ that you are and not throw a buck his way. Cry me a river you RJ scumbag, I was once where you were and you know what...I tipped the drivers because it's the "right" thing to do. They provide a service, and you tip them...that's the way it works here in the US of A ******************************. That is the way it is whether you like it or not. You think you are the only one making crap wages and paying off that expensive degree? You think you are the only one trying to make more out of this once glorious career? You are the epitome of bitter RJ scum that I have long forgotten since I was lucky enough to escape from years ago. It's people like you that bitch about your career, bitch about your regional ALPA representation, what you didn't get and who's to blame, where your resume is out to and then plant one and kill a bunch of people because you lost focus and took off on the wrong runway. I hope NetJets never buys me a ticket on your flight, I'd rather take the van with the driver who you stiffed on the tip. Cheap A$$.

I never tip the van driver. I suppose all you wussies who do also tip Starbucks coffee girls, sub shop employees, and the Great American Bagel stooges.
You see a tip jar or a van driver and feel that people will think you're cheap if you don't leave a tip? Man up, and don't wear cowboy boots in the cockpit.

Thanks to all the non-tippers for further degrading our profession with your lack of class. Now go spend that extra dollar on your tall boy of Natty Light.

Yep-

The next time I fly with some non-tipper, I will take a wiz in his NattyLight while he is away from the bar.... He will never be able to taste the difference.

-Cheap Bastards.

I will always tip unless there is some serious attitude from the driver or unless I've spent all my dollar bills on General Lee's wife. ;)

first of all, many so called van drivers are much more than just that. They are a hotel "everyman". MX, engineering, driver, etc etc. And I am sure few, if any at all have anything more than a highschool diploma, many have not even graduated from HS based on the quality I have seen from some. If they want decent pay, perhaps they should have gone to college and earned a college degree or some sort of technical training in some profession. Based on the the nature of the job they do, and the lack of much responsibility or expectation of their performance, I don't think I should have to pay a hotel employee for picking me up at the airport and driving me to the hotel. I mean it is not a function above and beyond what they are obligated to do. Now taking you to a local restaurant, thats a different story and I will compensate them for that.

Um. I was a hotel van driver. MEI/CFI, BA and MA. I did it to earn money while I was finishing up my CFIs. Would still do it now as there is a lull right now in folks seeking flight instruction. I find it rather insulting that you consider yourself superior to us low life's at the hotel. I find it rather sad that you just assume that all people in customer service are incapable of anything else. Or that it is somehow work that is not worthy.

FYI, the actual van driver. in most cases DOES NOT,decide when to run the van. The front desk clerk or front office supervisor tells them when to go based on their needs at the desk. The actual van schedule can be a nightmare. Flights are late, crews run behind, some station staff call when your flight is in range, others call when you hit the curb. Sometimes there are other guests that need picked up. The schedule of runs is different every single day, soemtimes every hour, because the needs of the customer change everyday.

Look at it like this... at 1800 Debbie Desk Clerk calls me and says the Express Jet crew needs picked up at Applebees; there is a Net Jets crew arriving at 1815 at the FBO and you need to drop off the ASA crew as the plane came off MX and is ready to go. I grab the keys and... oh the guest in room 348 needs to go to the mall.

Not everybody gets what they need. It has to be prioritized. We have contracts and commitments to each of those customers. MOST staff will do their best to take care of the customers. We, believe it or not, want you to come back despite being just a dumb beast of burden placed at the hotel only because I cannot do anything else. I needed that job while I experienced that magic that is flight.

Um. I was a hotel van driver. MEI/CFI, BA and MA. I did it to earn money while I was finishing up my CFIs. Would still do it now as there is a lull right now in folks seeking flight instruction. I find it rather insulting that you consider yourself superior to us low life's at the hotel. I find it rather sad that you just assume that all people in customer service are incapable of anything else. Or that it is somehow work that is not worthy.

FYI, the actual van driver. in most cases DOES NOT,decide when to run the van. The front desk clerk or front office supervisor tells them when to go based on their needs at the desk. The actual van schedule can be a nightmare. Flights are late, crews run behind, some station staff call when your flight is in range, others call when you hit the curb. Sometimes there are other guests that need picked up. The schedule of runs is different every single day, soemtimes every hour, because the needs of the customer change everyday.

Look at it like this... at 1800 Debbie Desk Clerk calls me and says the Express Jet crew needs picked up at Applebees; there is a Net Jets crew arriving at 1815 at the FBO and you need to drop off the ASA crew as the plane came off MX and is ready to go. I grab the keys and... oh the guest in room 348 needs to go to the mall.

Not everybody gets what they need. It has to be prioritized. We have contracts and commitments to each of those customers. MOST staff will do their best to take care of the customers. We, believe it or not, want you to come back despite being just a dumb beast of burden placed at the hotel only because I cannot do anything else. I needed that job while I experienced that magic that is flight.

And THANKS for all the dollar bills and advice. Most crews still tip.

And THANKS for all the dollar bills and advice. Most crews still tip.

I am glad to see that is the case.... I never would have guessed-given the cheapness of the crews I get stuck with. I guess it must have something to do with the crappy job our hiring people were doing back then...

Latest resources

Back