• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Altitude deviations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With regards to the 300 ft, that isn't always the case. It depends on if the controller has the assigned altitude in as a hard (ie final) altitude or interim, in the computer. With an interim, and readout other than that exact number will display. With a hard altitude, there is a buffer in the computer that will show the plane level as long as it is +/- 300 ft of the assigned.

What is the altitude deviation at which ATC will query the flight crew?

Always be on your altitude and do not deviate from it.

But, if you're off your altitude by 100 feet for whatever reason and ATC asks what your altitude is, you better say you're at the altitude you were told to maintain. Then get your @$$ back up there, especially if you value you and your crew's certificates.

That's not the answer I'd give on your recurrent test, but that's what I would do in everyday line flying.

Hey ATCT or any controller,

While we're on the subject, I thought I'd point out something I've been wondering for awhile. The Md80 has a cruise autopilot/autothrottle mode called PMS, "Performance Management System", or PERF. When you engage PERF in cruise flight, the autopilot "hunts +/- 125 ft to maintain cruise Mach, rather than moving the authrottles back and forth. Obviously it is legal since it's an approved cruise mode. Do you guys notice the +/- 125 deviations when working us Md80 guys, or not? And would you call us on it?

Thanks,

Brings up another good question, how often do Radars update?

Along the same lines...if a crew commits a "violatable" (is that even a word?) offense, do you ask them to call you or can they just get blindsided a few weeks later with a call from the FAA or their Chief Pilot?

This is an old post, but I just read it!
I'm curious out this one myself- is there any discussion before paperwork is filed (phone call after landing, etc), or will the flight crew find out without prior notice?

From the stories I have heard, ATC has told the crew to call 1-800-UR-SMOKED...but wanted to get the "official" word from FI.

If ATC doesn't give you a phone number they can still violate you, although The brasher doctrine applies.

Essentially if you get a phone number you'll fill out a NASA or ASAP report, and you're (usually) covered. If they don't give you a number (as they're required to do) AND you get a LOI, you can still receive a NOPCA (notice of proposed certificate action).

You argue (or your attorney argues) with the Brasher Doctrine and you get the same privileges as if you did fill out a NASA form. click here for an article that may clear it up.

Ive asked for more phone numbers from controllers than Ive gotten. I just wish I could talk on the the phone to the actual controller...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back