• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA's take on the UsAir merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While it is correct that, because of the Transistion Agreement Both sides have to work towards and agree on a contract before the list is used.

At last weeks JNC meeting where Mr Stephans stated that they "are not interested and will not participate i anything that accelerates the acceptance of the Nic list"

As he is making it clear since he said it TWICE that he doesn't intend on living up to the Trans Agreement. Just how long do you think the Company will allow him to hide behind it???

So what's your point?? So you believe that if the company thinks that the US Air pilots are not 'working toward a joint contract' that the company can just 'force a contract down their throats'??

You AWA guys talk all the time about alpa merger policy; and it specifically states that a merged list can only be used with a joint contract, and from what I have heard from guys I know there, there is just nowhere the votes to approve a 'joint contract.' Where are you going to get the votes for a joint contract, as any TA/potential joint contract has to be ratified by a majority of the pilots.

Where are the votes??? No 'joint contract' then things go NOWHERE. Right??

Just my thoughts for what's it worth; now feel free to 'rant away'

DA

An honest question- I don't get the AAA argument- but i'm open minded and i'd like to.

What do USAir East pilots want?

Since this was announced- everyone knew it would be complicated. The bottom guy at AAA was an 88 hire and the top guy at AWA an 83 hire.

Where is the heartburn? From my perspective- people are getting recalled- your relative seniority is exactly the same if not a bit higher- Someone explain it to an outsider...

b/c i learned a while ago that "seniority" does not equal "longevity" or "years in service". Seems some are confused on this point.

Should a pilot w/ several hundred underneath him at a growing company w/ AWA be furloughed b/c of a merger? Is that really what you're saying?

If it is-- Say it - let's be honest. Would that type of "seniority" change the mind of people who are choosing not to come back?

... and from what I have heard from guys I know there, there is just nowhere the votes to approve a 'joint contract.'
How can there be "no votes" when there isn't even a tentative agreement to vote on? I say we negotiate a TA and find out if there really are no votes. No harm in that, right? Too bad bad the AAA MEC doesn't even want to give their pilots that option.

Exactly. Negotiate a new contract and lets see what happens.

The East MEC is so wrapped up in Nic that it's squandering a great chance to improve the working conditions of its entire pilot group during an upswing in the Airline industry.

Instead of getting something done for the profession as a whole they can't get over the fact that a younger airline being merged with them gets everyone relative seniority. Or the idea that guys who didn't have a job with USAir when the merger was announced come back junior to guys who had a job at the younger airline.

Way to go East! You're harming the airline (you know, the place that pays you), harming your constituents and harming the profession as a whole.

So what's your point?? So you believe that if the company thinks that the US Air pilots are not 'working toward a joint contract' that the company can just 'force a contract down their throats'??

You AWA guys talk all the time about alpa merger policy; and it specifically states that a merged list can only be used with a joint contract, and from what I have heard from guys I know there, there is just nowhere the votes to approve a 'joint contract.' Where are you going to get the votes for a joint contract, as any TA/potential joint contract has to be ratified by a majority of the pilots.

Where are the votes??? No 'joint contract' then things go NOWHERE. Right??

Just my thoughts for what's it worth; now feel free to 'rant away'

DA

The votes will be there. Remember, the East Captains have never, and still don't, give a damn about the guy in the right seat. How long do you think they're going to fall on their swords, and pass on extra cash? No retirement, only a few working years left?

The East talks big about their unity, but it's all talk. When the green meets the rd, the only guys that want to stall are in the right seat of the East ops...far from the majority.

Remember, ALPA serves pilots...how do you like yours cooked?

Originally Posted by PlaneDrvr
Also on Wednesday, we entered into a philosophical discussion between the two sets of JNC representatives and management regarding the process for moving this negotiation to completion.

Management indicated that this process was not advancing us toward a conclusion and suggested that we jointly apply for mediation as provided for under the Transition Agreement (although the TA does not require a joint request for mediation).
We indicated our interest in proceeding to mediation while Captain Stephan spoke on behalf of the East MEC and indicated that his MEC was not interested in anything that would advance the implementation of the Nicolau Award.

Management also indicated that the East MEC’s notion that separate and permanent contracts for the two pilot groups, as expressed in a recent East MEC Resolution, was not what management had in mind when they discussed a temporary period of separate operations. In fact, management claimed that the East resolution was in violation of the Transition Agreement.
~JNC Update Aug 9, 2007

The company is in business to make money. We are a part of that plan. They can't shove a contract down anyone's throat, but they can start legal action to get things going.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back