• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Old School 737

NG's now and it is A OK!!
August 3, 2007

ALPA’s President and First Vice-President briefed the ALPA Executive Board by teleconference on August 1 on developments related the status of the seniority integration issues facing pilots at America West and US Airways.
Capt. Prater briefed the Board on the following points:

“Let me first begin by thanking the Executive Council, union leaders, and committee members of both America West and US Airways, members of the Rice Committee, our outside counsel, and our ALPA staff for working tirelessly to develop creative solutions to the issues that both pilot groups are facing when it comes to the integration of their seniority lists and their members’ future.

“I have said many times that, when one pilot has a problem, we all have a problem. I won’t sugarcoat it: I believe that our entire union and all of our 61,000 members have a problem. It is important to each of us, and to each of our members, for us to help resolve the issues that the US Airways and America West pilots are confronting. I am an optimist, and I believe that these pilot groups—through contract negotiations—still have the opportunity to forge a collective bargaining solution that will help all of our groups put the 9/11 bankruptcy era behind us.

“That is why ALPA’s Executive Council, including all the national officers, has worked hard to impress on both East and West MECs that their mutual success depends on their working together to find common solutions to their problems. Unity is the only option. Division will lead us nowhere,” Prater said. “In fact, only their airline’s management will be able to take advantage of this situation. That is completely unacceptable.

“Before I discuss the Executive Council’s resolution passed on July 19, let me brief you on the events leading up to the Council’s resolution. After the corporate transactions at US Airways and America West, and at the request of the two MECs, the Executive Council in October 2005 initiated the requested Policy Initiation Date, the first step in Merger Policy. The merger committees of America West and US Airways pilot groups were unable to negotiate a seniority integration agreement pursuant to policy. They were also unable to reach agreement through mediation, so again following policy, they appointed a three-person arbitration panel. Each group picked a pilot neutral from the ALPA list of pilot neutrals, and they then agreed on the neutral arbitrator, George Nicolau.

“Then, on May 3, 2007, arbitrator Nicolau released the seniority award he had developed. That announcement effectively halted much of the momentum that the joint negotiations and joint campaign demonstrations had garnered. The unity between both sides that we had witnessed through joint picketing events, rallies, and negotiations ground to a halt. I must also interject here that never have the leaders of the two MECs stopped trying to communicate with each other,” Prater said. "Hard disagreement does not mean that any of them have stopped trying to create a solution that works.

“However, the MECs’ public positions concerning the merits of the award were nearly diametrically opposed. We—the national officers and Executive Council—subsequently received thousands of letters and e-mails from pilots of both airlines voicing their opinion about the award and the path forward that each of them preferred we take.

“After I met with the US Airways MEC and the America West MEC during the week after the publication of Nicolau’s award, I extended an invitation to the MEC officers to appear before the Executive Council,” Prater recalled. “We heard from the two MECs at the May 21 meeting of the Council and deliberated on the subject through the Executive Board meeting at the request of the US Airways MEC. The Executive Council took up the issues of seniority integration again on June 26 and decided to extend consideration of the award until the Council next met on July 17.

“During that time, the Council established a committee under the guidance of ALPA’s first vice-president, Capt. Paul Rice, to work with both MECs and their Negotiating Committee members to communicate with all pilots and develop creative solutions to the problems that the pilot groups face.

“Between June 16 and July 17,” Prater said, “we worked hard to set up a joint MEC meeting, which I would convene on July 17. We also conducted polling and moved forward on several fronts with the Rice Committee [click here to read an update from Capt. Rice], and we focused on keeping the lines of communication open between the two MECs.

“Then, on July 17, the Executive Council participated in a full day of intense dialogue with both the America West and US Airways MECs. This session took place at the AFL-CIO headquarters in Washington, D.C., and was facilitated by three members of the Rice Committee (Paul Rice and Capts. Ray Miller, the ALPA executive vice-president from Northwest, and Dave Webb, the FedEx MEC chairman). Deliberations centered on the representatives’ views as to the seniority award and various collective bargaining solutions to the present situation.

“I am pleased to report that the joint MEC meeting led to an increased understanding on everyone’s part as to the true nature of the difficult issues confronting us,” Prater said. “Of equal importance, the deliberations formed the basis for significant action taken by the Executive Council on July 19.

“Let me first say that the resolution was passed unanimously by the Executive Council. In its resolution, the Council determined that ALPA’s role under Merger Policy is to provide a process for seniority integration, while remaining completely neutral on the outcome. The Council determined that no evidence had been presented to persuade them that any aspect of our Merger Policy process was not followed. It’s important to note that this does not constitute a ruling on the US Airways pilots’ request, but it does set forth the rules for deciding that request.

“The resolution also acknowledged that no timetable has been set under either the Merger Policy or the Transition Agreement regarding the handing over of a merged seniority list to US Airways management,” Prater said. “Further, the Council recognized that, in accordance with Merger Policy and the Transition Agreement, management may not use a merged seniority list without a single collective bargaining agreement, and that such an agreement will not take effect without separate successful membership ratification votes by America West and US Airways members. This means that both sides have effective veto authority on any such agreement.

“What the resolution does is to clarify that ALPA National’s role in seniority integration under Merger Policy is to provide the process for the MECs and their merger representatives,” Prater said. “The resolution does not require the MECs and the Rice Committee to focus on continuing to seek a merged agreement at this time, but it recognizes that potentially there are other practical solutions that may or may not lead to a merged agreement. It assumes that both groups will continue to cooperate with the work of the Rice Committee to develop these solutions.

“To summarize, given all of this, the Executive Council decided that our union’s resources should be devoted to bringing about practical results through the efforts of the Executive Council, the Rice Committee, the MECs, and the Joint Negotiating Committee.

“The result may lead to a merged agreement, umbrella agreements, or multiple agreements. The Executive Council believes that, with the terms of its limited jurisdiction clarified, there is now a clear basis for full cooperation with this process on the part of both MECs.

“I want to reiterate to everyone on the call that we are not going to stop working until we get to collective bargaining outcomes that we want. It’s going to take hard work, and good faith, within our union.

“The problems that exist today for these two pilot groups are not going away by looking for some other organization to join or form. We need to get on with the work of providing good pay, good benefits, good work rules, and career protection for all of the pilots of the combined US Airways,” Prater said.

“I am asking each of you to pledge your personal support for this effort and to make yourself available to join our work as we move forward. It is in the best interests of all ALPA pilots that we unify the pilots of the combined US Airways and get them what they so richly deserve. They and many of our members have worked and lived for far too long under the bankruptcy-era post-9/11 contracts, and that is the express purpose for which I wanted the Executive Board to be briefed and engaged in finding the solution to our problem.”

Capt. Rice, who chairs the special committee formed by the Executive Council provided the following report.

Get on with it already and quit stalling. Both sides followed the ALPA guidelines and merger policy and a judgment was made. All they "ALPA" is doing now is making it worse for the rest of us buy making it look like they don't follow the rules when they don't like them. Great way to run an organization.

Thanks!!:) Nice to see someone from an airline other than the 2 in question who seems to 'get it' . Sure wish Prater and his minions did.:rolleyes:
PHXFLYR:cool:

August 3, 2007

“During that time, the Council established a committee under the guidance of ALPA’s first vice-president, Capt. Paul Rice, to work with both MECs and their Negotiating Committee members to communicate with all pilots and develop creative solutions to the problems that the pilot groups face.

Deliberations centered on the representatives’ views as to the seniority award and various collective bargaining solutions to the present situation.

What the resolution does is to clarify that ALPA National’s role in seniority integration under Merger Policy is to provide the process for the MECs and their merger representatives,” Prater said. “The resolution does not require the MECs and the Rice Committee to focus on continuing to seek a merged agreement at this time, but it recognizes that potentially there are other practical solutions that may or may not lead to a merged agreement.

“To summarize, given all of this, the Executive Council decided that our union’s resources should be devoted to bringing about practical results through the efforts of the Executive Council, the Rice Committee, the MECs, and the Joint Negotiating Committee.

The result may lead to a merged agreement, umbrella agreements, or multiple agreements. The Executive Council believes that, with the terms of its limited jurisdiction clarified, there is now a clear basis for full cooperation with this process on the part of both MECs.

For the life of me I cannot believe ALPA is actually going to endorse separate contracts or they are going to try to force the West pilots to negotiate fences or "give backs" in the new contract.

The actions of ALPA should have EVERY member up in arms. Not only is ALPA and Prater not following their own policy manual, a manual that is suppose to protect ALL of us, Prater is actually trying to force one pilot group to change an arbitrated award because the other pilot group is not happy with the outcome and throws a tantrum.

Doug Parker said he will not run the companies separately. THE MERGER DOES NOT WORK IF THE COMPANY CANNOT MERGE THE PILOTS AND THE AIRPLANES. THE STRENGTH OF THIS COMPANY LIES IN A MERGER GROUP. BOTH EAST AND WEST WILL FAIL WHEN THE ECONOMY TAKES A DOWN TURN. LOOK AT THE HISTORY OF BOTH AIRLINES. But it appears as though Prater knows more about running USAirways than the highly paid management team that is at the helm now. DO YOU REALLY WANT ALPA MAKING STRATEGIC DECISIONS FOR YOUR AIRLINE? Especially enlight of the fact that OUR ALPA leaders feel as though they can pick and choose what parts of the policy manual they will follow.

The actions of ALPA should have every member from every airline up in arms. If policies do not need to be followed then what comes next? How about someone merges with CAL and Prater thinks that his CAL pilots didn't do so well in the seniority arbitration I guess he can just throw it out, delay delay delay, or even better force the other airline to bend over and take one for the team.

PLEASE EVERY ALPA MEMBER CALL YOUR MEC AND DEMAND THAT APLA FOLLOW THEIR OWN POLICY MANUAL. DEMAND THAT ALPA NOT PRESSURE A PILOT GROUP INTO CHANGING AN ARBITRATED LIST THAT WAS DETERMINED TO HAVE FOLLOWED APLA MERGER POLICY! DEMAND THAT ALPA DEFEND AND PRESENT THE LIST AND FOLLOW THE MERGER POLICY. DEMAND THAT YOUR DUES ARE NO LONGER USED BY ALPA TO “SEARCH FOR ALTERNATIVES” TO AN ARBITRATED AWARD, DETERMINED BY A MUTUALLY CHOSEN ARBITRATOR.

This is no longer an east or west thing, ALPA breaking its own policies and putting the very survival of the new USAirways at stake.

Word on the street is that East may be spun off to UAL of another airline, do you, UAL pilots, or any other pilot group for that matter, want to go into seniority arbitration knowing that the award is not final unless it makes the USAirways East pilots happy.

I agree with the east in that it may be time for ALPA to go. This is the beginning of the end for a once proud union.

Where is my valium……..and scotch.

Look at ALPA's past....it is riddled with instances just like this where failures lead to disunity among groups.....

This is another glaring example. ALPA by policy remains a neutral. This is unacceptable. Setting an "outline" for how a third party decides the fate of your membership and then sitting back and ignoring the fact that the process is a failure? All it does is give ALPA the shelter it needs in case of a lawsuit.

If ALPA had a "true" merger policy and stuck to it, this wouldn't happen.

Ask the AFA. Their policy happens to be DOH. No lawyers, no arbitration, no mess. Their is no negotiation. I don't see any lawsuits or executive
meetings over at the AFA.

A350

ALPA National, Prater, & Rice are straddling the fence to keep from alienating either pilot group. Just like any other politician.

Let's see: we have a Merger policy, we followed the policy, and now the larger of the 2 groups doesn't like the results. So let's have committee meetings, resolutions, more negotiations,.......delay, delay, delay.

Maybe this problem will go away without us having to do anything - like making a decision and putting our political neck on the line.

This is not adding anything positive to the conversation but...........ALPA f-ing blows, along with all it's crooked money and power hungry yes-men.

A350
Alpa DOES have a true merger policy. You just don't like the results that were obtained using that merger policy. Remember that Nic is one of the most respected arbitrators in the country AND the two pilot neutrals both thought he did an excellent job, with only one minor dissention from the CAL guy.

Wake up and realize that living with LOA 93 is going to cost you 60k+ as an Fo or 114k+ if you're a captain. That's how much money you will lose out assuming you will obtain a seperate contract sometime around 2011 (two years after opening up LOA 93). Also those numbers come from the companies low ball initial offer. Obviously the real numbers will be much higher. The collective stupidity of the east is costing their families SERIOUS cash....

Green:

You must have me confused with someone who has a dog left in the fight.....I may be USAir furloughed, but I am not returning. The seniority integration is just the last nail in the coffin.

You are correct the results stink...unless you are on the West side of the fence.

My beef is with ALPA and its lack of a defined merger policy. Oh, yes, there is a written policy. That policy, in its entirety is a nebulous outline that can be interpreted 100 different ways, all of which can say they followed policy. It uses big words like expectations, which cannot possibly be measured by anyone. Further, ALPA is a NEUTRAL, which is typical. If noone is steering the ship, noone knows where it will go or what hazards it will encounter.

My post about the AFA is just that....they know mergers happen. They know seniority is king. They merge DOH. No questions, no lawyers, no outside parties. No hearburn from expectations not being met or careers lost.

If you can look in the mirror and say that if the result was the opposite and not say it is flawed, good on you. I know for a fact that if the arbitrator would have stapled the west pilots I would be the first one standing with YOU in the line to ALPA headquarters. Right is right and wrong is wrong. I think the arbitrator missed the mark. The fact that you agree with him is not surprising.

Your crying about lost $$$ is not lost on the East guys.....they lose a lot more than that if the award stands. That is why they are so POed.

A350

Look at ALPA's past....it is riddled with instances just like this where failures lead to disunity among groups.....

Your premise that disunity between groups is caused by Merger Policy is specious hooey. The only reason the dispute over list integration went to an arbitrator is because both sides didn't agree. That means there was pre-existing "disunity" on the key issue.

This is another glaring example. ALPA by policy remains a neutral. This is unacceptable. Setting an "outline" for how a third party decides the fate of your membership and then sitting back and ignoring the fact that the process is a failure?

Get thee to Emerald City, Scarecrow...the Wizard has something you need!

Merger Policy directs both sides to reach an agreement. If there is sufficient disunity that prevents agreement from happening, it mandates sending it to a neutral.

All it does is give ALPA the shelter it needs in case of a lawsuit.

Lemme get this straight...the rest of us should be liable for the failure of two pilot groups to negotiate a list merger?

Really? Mandating DOH would make everybody happy, and there'd be no disunity?

Here on Earth we have collective groups of individuals who sometimes have different opinions on what is "fair". Perhaps on your planet there is no such thing as disunity over list integration, but if your species has studied past mergers on Earth, I would appreciate you citing all the non-ALPA mergers here that left everybody joyful at the outcome, and convinced of its fairness.

Ask the AFA. Their policy happens to be DOH. No lawyers, no arbitration, no mess. Their is no negotiation. I don't see any lawsuits or executive
meetings over at the AFA.

So DOH is the only "fair" method?

Let's test it, shall we?

Anybody disagree with A350 on DOH being a fair method for list integration between all pilot groups?

(Remember, if anybody disagrees...we have disunity)

Latest resources

Back