• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA wants more of your money

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK then, let's call it pay. Every pilot should pay the same dues on their union negotiated pay. No more subsidies, everyone pays their fair share.

ALPA should treat all pilots fairly, and charge dues the same for every full member in good standing.

I would encourage a defined contribution plan in addition to a 401(k).

Just FYI, XJT pilots have a defined contribution plan and are exempt from paying dues to the money contributed to the 401k by the pilot and the company (which is income).

It's a fairness issue. All pilots should pay the same level of dues on their income. No special favors, treat everyone the same. If we can afford lower dues, then lower the dues for all members equally.

...except that fairness is not really achieved with your plan. Consider airline A with a full company-funded pension plan for the pilots, and airline B with only a 401k. If you "charged the same level of dues on their income," then the airline A pilot's compensation that funds their retirement (and therefore almost their entire retirement nest-egg) is not subject to dues, while the airline B pilot's compensation that funds their retirement (and therefore almost their entire retirement nest-egg) IS subject to dues. Is that really fair?

Fair is what you negotiate. Others shouldn't be penalized because you didn't negotiate wisely.

It's bid-ness homies, nothing more. Someone had mentioned alpo is in a revenue shortfall. Of course they are! Just take a look how much revenue in dues they've lost over the past few years...

USAir
AWA
ATA
Champion Air
Air Midwest
Airtran
Independence Air (ACA)
Comair

That's a lot of dues cashola, ya know? As a west pilot as you may well guess, I don't feel sorry for them. I can't stand usapa, but alpo wasn't much better (for me anyway). I don't believe they really stand for pilots anymore (if they ever did). It's about bid-ness. They're in it for da paper! I suspect if this resolution doesn't pass, they will most likely increase the dues requiriement for all their remaining members..

Ya wanna know why the MECs and ALPA do this stuff?

The average line pilot cannot be bothered going to the local chapter mettings. net effect MEC and LECs think yhat you do not care what they do, so they do what they want. You can either take control of your future or leave the decisions to others. If you don't like the direction ALPA local and national is going, participate and change the course.

Latest resources

Back