• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA wants more of your money

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What did you expect from a union filled with lifers? Wait, so shouldn't they want their 401Ks left untouched? What gives? How do you explain this move? Why would anyone want ALPA to take more money from your pocket by taking 1.95% of your 401K portion? Come on Pinnacle MEC, ALPA only took you so far. Why throw them a bone?

Just to be clear, it WONT take money from your 401k. That will remain the same.

ALPA tried this a couple years ago and it was voted down.

X

Yeah I was gonna say when I read the first post that I remember them trying this some years back.

ALPA is looking at an income loss going fwd. With senior top of scale pilots starting to retire in the next few years they are left with more guys not at or near top of scale to get their 2% from.

They have to find a way to pay themselves, pay for their townhomes/condos in DCA, cars, meetings on yachts in Miami and secretaries that make more (like 75K/year salary) than most of its dues paying members. Otherwise they might have to go out and actually fly.

Currently at ALPA national, a resolution has been passed at the Executive Board level and sent to the upcoming National Board Meeting in October for a full vote by the Board of Directors (that is every ALPA LEC status rep). This resolution is regarding how ALPA figures our dues. Currently, our dues are calculated off our pay after our 401(k) has been deducted. The resolution would now include our 401(k) in the dues calculations.

Discuss.....

The dues exemption for 401 (k) contributions is not universal. It does not apply to all ALPA pilot groups and even treats pilots within an airlines differently depending on their pension plans and the amount they contribute.

It's a fairness issue. All pilots should pay the same level of dues on their income. No special favors, treat everyone the same. If we can afford lower dues, then lower the dues for all members equally.

The dues exemption for 401 (k) contributions is not universal. It does not apply to all ALPA pilot groups and even treats pilots within an airlines differently depending on their pension plans and the amount they contribute.

It's a fairness issue. All pilots should pay the same level of dues on their income. No special favors, treat everyone the same. If we can afford lower dues, then lower the dues for all members equally.

Yes, but "income" is the taxable income line on my W2, not the gross income line.

If someone contributes 15% of their income to retirement, that money should be exempt from dues, and ALPA should welcome the incentive to contribute more. Isn't it ALPAs charge to do what is best for the pilot group? Encouraging higher contributions to retirement is better for the group.

Yes, but "income" is the taxable income line on my W2, not the gross income line.

If someone contributes 15% of their income to retirement, that money should be exempt from dues, and ALPA should welcome the incentive to contribute more. Isn't it ALPAs charge to do what is best for the pilot group? Encouraging higher contributions to retirement is better for the group.

The problem is that there are pilot groups out there that are unhappy that they must pay dues on their 401k contributions when other pilot groups do not.

I agree that from a regional pilot's perspective, with only a 401k retirement account, it is a hard sell. I think if ALPA wants to collect dues on what I contribute to a 401k, they should make it a priority to negotiate a B fund for the pilot groups that do not have one.

OK then, let's call it pay. Every pilot should pay the same dues on their union negotiated pay. No more subsidies, everyone pays their fair share.

ALPA should treat all pilots fairly, and charge dues the same for every full member in good standing.

I would encourage a defined contribution plan in addition to a 401(k).

Latest resources

Back