Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

badog

Right career, Wrong time
Currently at ALPA national, a resolution has been passed at the Executive Board level and sent to the upcoming National Board Meeting in October for a full vote by the Board of Directors (that is every ALPA LEC status rep). This resolution is regarding how ALPA figures our dues. Currently, our dues are calculated off our pay after our 401(k) has been deducted. The resolution would now include our 401(k) in the dues calculations.

Discuss.....

Pinnacle's MEC voted for the resolution. Pinnacle and Commute air were the only regional Mec's to vote for it. Time for a recall!

What did you expect from a union filled with lifers? Wait, so shouldn't they want their 401Ks left untouched? What gives? How do you explain this move? Why would anyone want ALPA to take more money from your pocket by taking 1.95% of your 401K portion? Come on Pinnacle MEC, ALPA only took you so far. Why throw them a bone?

Why should 2 pilots, both making 100k pay different alpa dues because one contributes 5% to his 401k and the other contributes 10% to his 401k?

What does 401k pilot elected contributions have to do with paying for the protections and services provided by your union?

They are not related.

ALPA tried this a couple years ago and it was voted down.

X

Why should 2 pilots, both making 100k pay different alpa dues because one contributes 5% to his 401k and the other contributes 10% to his 401k?

What does 401k pilot elected contributions have to do with paying for the protections and services provided by your union?

They are not related.

Working the system better to retain more of what S/HE earned!? Because one is smarter than the other. Protections and services? they haven't done much for me lately. With a tabled contract (XJT), grievances that are never dealt among many other issues in which they're completely ineffective, some occasional chest thumping that they got a bid window extended or sporadic communications do not justify the dues we're already paying.

They're getting too much already. 401k is MY pre-tax money for retirement. I don't make much as an FO and for them to take even more is ridiculous.

Pinnacle's MEC voted for the resolution. Pinnacle and Commute air were the only regional Mec's to vote for it. Time for a recall!

I recall this debate around 5 years ago. The former Mesaba reps voted in favor of it and took a lot of heat for it. Several of the reps were ousted as they voted against the overwhelming wishes of the pilot group. If I recall correctly, Mesaba was the only regional whose reps voted in favor of the proposed change. It was all moot because it never passed nation wide. Sad to see it has resurfaced.

If I remember right, the motion failed mainly because United voted against it. I assume they will vote against it again unless something has changed.

There's a little more to it than just classifying 401k contributions as duesable. If your airline had another retirement program (like a pension), the 401k contributions have always been included in dues. So, for FedEx and Alaska, there's no reason to vote against it because it won't change their calculations one bit.

If your airline has no retirement other than a 401k, then currently the amount you contribute is not subject to dues, but will be under the proposal. If I remember right, some of the airlines were inconsistent about how they handled this, with some airlines considering a B plan a retirement program and therefore having to pay dues on 401k contributions, and some did not consider it that way. I could be wrong on that, but that's what I seem to remember.

Under this proposal all will be unified, however, it would affect the regionals and the lower-tier national airlines without a B fund the most. That's why most of the regionals voted against it (except Mesaba for some reason, probably due to handwringing from the NWA MEC at the time.)

Latest resources

Back