• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA sues SKYW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How come ALPA doesn't report where the money goes? What happened to my 2% I had taken away from my family and given to ALPA? Where did it go?
What do they do with it?

ALPA DUES​
ALPA’s regular Active member dues rate is 1.95% of the member’s airline
income subject to dues. That’s the easy part. More complex is the manner in which the
dues income is allocated to provide funding for all of the union’s activities. This
structure has been carefully honed over time and has served ALPA members well. All of
the allocations are pieces of the gross amount generated by the 1.95% of each member’s
airline income. (As a reminder, the MEC is the Master Executive Council, the highest
governing body at the airline level, and is made up of the elected status representatives
from each domicile, plus the MEC chairman, vice chairman and secretary-treasurer.)
The first 0.35% of the 1.95% is allocated to the Special MEC Reserve Account
(SMRA). SMRA funds are allocated directly to each MEC, which uses SMRA only after
the MEC operating income (discussed below) is exhausted. The MEC has the option to
budget and spend SMRA funds or save them for future use. The MEC may retain unspent
SMRA funds for future years to support contract negotiations or special MEC needs, or if
budgetary conditions permit, the MEC can approve refunding the money to members in
good standing annually.
The next component of dues – 0.10% of the 1.95% - is allocated to the ALPA
Administrative and Support Account (A&S), discussed below.
After deducting the two components of dues allocation mentioned above, 1.50%
of the 1.95% remains; it is called “operating income.” This 1.50% is allocated to the
MECs, the A&S account, and the Operating Contingency Fund (OCF). The MEC
account allocation is 24% of the 1.50%, the A&S account allocation is 71.50% of the
1.50%, and the OCF account allocation is 4.50% of the 1.50%.
The MEC account allocation (24% of the 1.50%) is distributed to each MEC,
except that ALPA’s largest groups are allocated 20% of the 1.50%. The remaining 4%
(24%-20%) of operating income of the largest pilot groups is redistributed to smaller
MECs throughout ALPA. In essence, ALPA’s larger pilot groups provide a subsidy to
ALPA’s smaller pilot groups to ensure adequate funding for their union activities. The
MECs utilize this allocation to fund the operation of pilot group field offices,
wages/benefits of support staff assigned to the pilot group, MEC committee work, etc.
The A&S account allocation (71.50% of the 1.50%, plus 0.10% of the 1.95%
discussed above) provides services that are available to all ALPA pilot groups, including
Representation, Economic & Financial Analysis, Legal, Retirement and Insurance,
Communications, Engineering and Air Safety, Membership and Council Services. The
A&S account allocation also provides the per capita budget funding for all Local
Executive Councils of ALPA.
In addition, the A&S account supports Administrative Services such as the
National Officers, General Manager, Legislative Affairs, Governing Bodies, Finance,
Information Systems, and Human Resources. When an MEC uses the services of the
A&S departments described above,​
that MEC is not charged for the services provided by
those departments.
This is the ALPA “toolbox” of services that includes professional,
technical, administrative, and clerical personnel. The central pooling and allocation of
these resources has enabled ALPA to ensure the availability of highly qualified and
experienced personnel to all member pilot groups on a cost-effective basis.
The OCF account allocation (4.50% of the 1.50% of operating income) primarily
provides funds to smaller pilot group MECs during times of financial need, usually as a
result of contract negotiations. Grants from ALPA’s Major Contingency Fund (currently
valued at $81 million) are also available for these purposes. A large portion of the OCF is
allocated in advance to the smaller pilot groups’ MECs during the budget preparation
process based on anticipated negotiating schedules and other special needs. The OCF
allocation supports the organizing efforts of ALPA, and a portion of the OCF is also set
aside for contingencies and projects of special interest to the union.

Sounds like someone who did not go to any local meeting, or work on any comittees. POS who instead of standing tall and working towards a better future for his co-workers, said fukkit, I am going to SKYW for the quick upgrade. Guess what? You are gonna be swinging the gear for a former ASA F/O, and guess what I hope it happens that way, because they paid their dues the hard way, you took the easy way, leaving your co-workers hanging, because you are too greedy for the fast upgrade.
PUTO
PBR

dang do you have some love fest going on with ASA guys or what? First of all we aren't even close to merging yet. I highly doubt we will merge within the next 2-3 years. Plenty of time to upgrade and move on before a merger would even hurt. Who cares who pays dues its all about being in the right place at the right time. Mergers take lots of time and they haven't even begun the process of merging the employees yet. They haven't even finished merging management.

For all you know ASA could be gone next year. Why else do you think they are moving all those airlines into ATL? DL will not allow a strike to have the effect comair did ever again. By the time ASA gets a release there could well be enough airlines flying out of atlanta to make the disruption minimal. I doubt that would happen but stranger things have occured. Worst case if we did merge anyone who is already captain won't be displaced simply because the lists are merged. Nice to see you have lots of ASA wet dreams. How bout you go work for them so you can "pay your dues".

Funny...
Binding contract???
We saw what happened at Delta, United, Northwest, etc... When things hit the fan, where was ALPA to stand up for their contract they had signed years prior? People have the notion that once you signed your contract, everything will follow 100%. We all know that's not the case, so don't give me that lame excuse.

You also sound like ASA was the place to be prior to SKYW buying them. People hated there when was owned by Delta. Though I don't agree with things that SKYW management are doing to them now, I just don't see how ALPA is the answer.

Your argument has no basis about UNITED and Skywest losing their flight. If , and there is a big if, were to happen, I guarantee you if management wanted to impose a pay cut, it would happen. ALPA or not. We all saw what happened to MESABA. It is just bull to believe that ALPA will fight for you and will stand up for everything that is on the contract.

Skywest management, even though far from perfect, has always tried to do an OK job running this airline. Now they are portraited to be the devil in person, and without ALPA we will all get F***** in the butt.

How come ALPA doesn't report where the money goes? What happened to my 2% I had taken away from my family and given to ALPA? Where did it go?
What do they do with it?

All of the above mentioned airlines Had a contract and still have a contract. the paycuts etc... where negotiated and voted on by the pilot group. You forget to mention one little fact. If there was no contract the paycuts would have been immediate and the company could have done what they wanted without the consent of the pilots.

You also did not mention that while the Delta and UAL pilots were negotiating the so called cuts they where still getting paid at the old rate. Its not as simple as the company goes to court and the next day the contract is gone, that law was changed back in the 80's. As far as were the ALPA dues go look at the above post. Why dont you go to one of the meetings and ask any qestions you may have?

You can also check the DC 9 payrates for the poor NWA pilots. www.airlinepilotcentral.com 5 yr capt is at $115/hr. How much do skywest pilots make flying the 70-90 seater?

ALPA DUES​
ALPA’s regular Active member dues rate is 1.95% of the member’s airline
income subject to dues. That’s the easy part. More complex is the manner in which the
dues income is allocated to provide funding for all of the union’s activities. This
structure has been carefully honed over time and has served ALPA members well. All of
the allocations are pieces of the gross amount generated by the 1.95% of each member’s
airline income. (As a reminder, the MEC is the Master Executive Council, the highest
governing body at the airline level, and is made up of the elected status representatives
from each domicile, plus the MEC chairman, vice chairman and secretary-treasurer.)
The first 0.35% of the 1.95% is allocated to the Special MEC Reserve Account
(SMRA). SMRA funds are allocated directly to each MEC, which uses SMRA only after
the MEC operating income (discussed below) is exhausted. The MEC has the option to
budget and spend SMRA funds or save them for future use. The MEC may retain unspent
SMRA funds for future years to support contract negotiations or special MEC needs, or if
budgetary conditions permit, the MEC can approve refunding the money to members in
good standing annually.
The next component of dues – 0.10% of the 1.95% - is allocated to the ALPA
Administrative and Support Account (A&S), discussed below.
After deducting the two components of dues allocation mentioned above, 1.50%
of the 1.95% remains; it is called “operating income.” This 1.50% is allocated to the
MECs, the A&S account, and the Operating Contingency Fund (OCF). The MEC
account allocation is 24% of the 1.50%, the A&S account allocation is 71.50% of the
1.50%, and the OCF account allocation is 4.50% of the 1.50%.
The MEC account allocation (24% of the 1.50%) is distributed to each MEC,
except that ALPA’s largest groups are allocated 20% of the 1.50%. The remaining 4%
(24%-20%) of operating income of the largest pilot groups is redistributed to smaller
MECs throughout ALPA. In essence, ALPA’s larger pilot groups provide a subsidy to
ALPA’s smaller pilot groups to ensure adequate funding for their union activities. The
MECs utilize this allocation to fund the operation of pilot group field offices,
wages/benefits of support staff assigned to the pilot group, MEC committee work, etc.
The A&S account allocation (71.50% of the 1.50%, plus 0.10% of the 1.95%
discussed above) provides services that are available to all ALPA pilot groups, including
Representation, Economic & Financial Analysis, Legal, Retirement and Insurance,
Communications, Engineering and Air Safety, Membership and Council Services. The
A&S account allocation also provides the per capita budget funding for all Local
Executive Councils of ALPA.
In addition, the A&S account supports Administrative Services such as the
National Officers, General Manager, Legislative Affairs, Governing Bodies, Finance,
Information Systems, and Human Resources. When an MEC uses the services of the
A&S departments described above,​
that MEC is not charged for the services provided by
those departments.
This is the ALPA “toolbox” of services that includes professional,
technical, administrative, and clerical personnel. The central pooling and allocation of
these resources has enabled ALPA to ensure the availability of highly qualified and
experienced personnel to all member pilot groups on a cost-effective basis.
The OCF account allocation (4.50% of the 1.50% of operating income) primarily
provides funds to smaller pilot group MECs during times of financial need, usually as a
result of contract negotiations. Grants from ALPA’s Major Contingency Fund (currently
valued at $81 million) are also available for these purposes. A large portion of the OCF is
allocated in advance to the smaller pilot groups’ MECs during the budget preparation
process based on anticipated negotiating schedules and other special needs. The OCF
allocation supports the organizing efforts of ALPA, and a portion of the OCF is also set
aside for contingencies and projects of special interest to the union.

Thanks Weasil,
That tells us what "fund" the dues go to. But where does the money actually go? What is the money spent on? After the money gets to the SMRA, what do they spend (or save) it on? Where does the OCF spend the money? How does A&S allocate the money? Personally, I would love to see a line by line of where ALPA money is spent before I would consider joining. But that's just me.

How about answering the question. If we are not running classes at the time and only one slot is open do you really expect them to run one special class for one person? Do you expect them to pay for 2 months worth of hotels for a TDY while waiting for a pilot to get done with training? Either way is quite unreasonable. It is NOT a violation of seniority.

The most senior ABLE BODIED person is transfered instead of either wasting money on running one special class or wasting money on TDY expenses for a couple months. You complain about how it is a violation of seniority. What are your solutions? How can a union fix this? It is already in the policy manual which is a very reasonable policy. We will probably be done hiring for a little bit sometime this winter. It is absurd to expect the company to run special classes. Do any airlines actually award classes to one person if they aren't doing any hiring at the time?

How about you answer my question that I asked you earlier...What is your problem with ALPA?

dang do you have some love fest going on with ASA guys or what? First of all we aren't even close to merging yet. I highly doubt we will merge within the next 2-3 years. Plenty of time to upgrade and move on before a merger would even hurt. Who cares who pays dues its all about being in the right place at the right time. Mergers take lots of time and they haven't even begun the process of merging the employees yet. They haven't even finished merging management.

For all you know ASA could be gone next year. Why else do you think they are moving all those airlines into ATL? DL will not allow a strike to have the effect comair did ever again. By the time ASA gets a release there could well be enough airlines flying out of atlanta to make the disruption minimal. I doubt that would happen but stranger things have occured. Worst case if we did merge anyone who is already captain won't be displaced simply because the lists are merged. Nice to see you have lots of ASA wet dreams. How bout you go work for them so you can "pay your dues".
Ahhhh, yes the voice of reason has spoken. Sounds like you will be the first one to cross the picket line, guess what that will make you a scab! Finally you will have the label you so richly deserve. Whatever goes on at ASA, I will not cross the picket line and will take whatever fallout that comes with that. I should be saying that I hope you get your 1000PIC and move on, I actually hope you cross the picket line and get your coveted scab label you so richly deserve. I do not have any "ASA wet dreams", I just hope and wish that the company would bargain fairly and find a compromise. You on the otherhand, I would hope and wish that you would step/fall onto the tracks of the EL and no-one helps you up, viola no more you. I am not nearly as nice as most on the boards, you are the enemy and need to be treated as such. The SKYW/ALPA issue will solve itself, you on the otherhand need a thorough PC with no gimmes/charity.
PBR

Thanks Weasil,
That tells us what "fund" the dues go to. But where does the money actually go? What is the money spent on? After the money gets to the SMRA, what do they spend (or save) it on? Where does the OCF spend the money? How does A&S allocate the money? Personally, I would love to see a line by line of where ALPA money is spent before I would consider joining. But that's just me.

I don't have a specific balance sheet, but I can say that the money that goes to the SMRA or MEC account is typically spent on hotels, per diem, and flight loss pay. If the MEC is holding a meeting, then MEC members receive flight loss pay to cover the trip that they were scheduled for, per diem, and a hotel. Obviously during contract negotiations the negotiating team is traveling to negotiations and pilots will be conducting road shows (info meetings) in crew rooms so the cost of the added manpower increases during these times.

If the MEC runs out of their funds during these busy times then the OCF will help replenish their funds. The OCF also aids pilot groups during strikes.

As for the Admin and Support, again no specifics, but it primarily goes to fund ALPA National HDQ. The building and the people in it (lawyers, safety analysts, fincials analysts, staffers) as well as the various methods of communication (magazine, emails/IT, and phone systems).

The bottom line is that the majority of the $ no matter what fund it goes to ends up paying people's salaries. It could be your LEC rep working on something (flight loss pay), or an ALPA safety analyst testifying before Congress.

On a side note, I am not sure if this is a concern to you, but many people think ALPA spends your dues money on political campaigns. That is false. ALPA might attend a rally or sign a letter of support for a candidate, but no dues money goes to political campaigns. That money is separate and made up entirely of voluntary donations to the ALPA PAC (political action committee).

Ahhhh, yes the voice of reason has spoken. Sounds like you will be the first one to cross the picket line, guess what that will make you a scab! Finally you will have the label you so richly deserve. Whatever goes on at ASA, I will not cross the picket line and will take whatever fallout that comes with that. I should be saying that I hope you get your 1000PIC and move on, I actually hope you cross the picket line and get your coveted scab label you so richly deserve. I do not have any "ASA wet dreams", I just hope and wish that the company would bargain fairly and find a compromise. You on the otherhand, I would hope and wish that you would step/fall onto the tracks of the EL and no-one helps you up, viola no more you. I am not nearly as nice as most on the boards, you are the enemy and need to be treated as such. The SKYW/ALPA issue will solve itself, you on the otherhand need a thorough PC with no gimmes/charity.
PBR

Who said anything about crossing a picket line? You are jumping way ahead of yourself there. I said they are adding all these airlines to ATL probably so the impact of a strike will be minimal. If airlines are already flying the same routes as ASA BEFORE the strike then it is not struck work. I am saying it appears they are slowly adding other airlines into the ATL mix. My guess is some other airline will be on almost any other city pairing that ASA does. The days of one regional airline dominating a hub are done. Diversity is the name of the game in todays portfolio concept. This is why having a union will not help. The so called strike threat is diminished since other airlines will already be flying the same routes.

I don't have any intention of crossing a picket line and there will highly unlikely be any picket line to cross. The NMB could probably keep this contract in limbo forever as long as the union remains unreasonable. The 70 rates are already close to top of the industry. SkyWest 50 seater rates and the same 70 seater rates are more than fair. I believe that was the companies latest offer on pay. Obviously the mediator has decided that is fair and rightfully will not allow a release. The longer the contract is in limbo the more incentive to "git er done". I believe there will be a contract done before there would ever be a strike. Too many airlines are coming into atlanta.

You yourself have shown your true colors. You simply have distain for anyone that is against the union. You hate those who don't have similar views as yourself. You already possess that mob mentality. I never once showed a desire for ASA to go out of buisness simply a desire for them to finish the contract as a strike is not good for anyone. I also pointed out how Delta is lining up more and more flying for other regionals out of ATL.

How about you answer my question that I asked you earlier...What is your problem with ALPA?

They have simply gotten to big for their own good. They are too old school, too sluggish to react to todays changing environment. They represent too many airlines. They are too in your face about things. They manipulate the pilots and the polls so it seems everyone is always out for blood. They try to make you think if you have ALPA everything will be all right.

I would say most pilots from other airlines that come here or fly on the jumpseat say ALPA is not the way to go. Tons of people can't be wrong about having a bad experience with ALPA. When we have American pilots on the jumpseat out of ORD they say dumping ALPA was the best thing the pilots ever did and they are very glad not to have to deal with ALPA.

I think UPS, SWA, and AA all have a terrific deal going with their in-house unions. One big difference between those companies and SKYW is that they can afford to be on their own. Even with 2600+ pilots, with our regional pay, it would be very difficult to afford the type of professional infrastructure, communication systems, and experience that ALPA can bring to our group. For the 3 airlines I mentioned above, it isn't that difficult to afford those things given the size of their pilot group and payscales.

Also, let's not just focus on people who are/were upset with ALPA...CAL & FDX both left ALPA only to realize that it was a mistake and they returned to become ALPA carriers.

Latest resources

Back