• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA sues SKYW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You ALPA people are all the same. You love to put your nice suits, travel from crew room to crew room with free meals and pass along cards.
You love to steer the pot, but that's as far as you will go. Why don't you spend the same effort to represent the poor pilots at Mesa and other carriers? They are already paying their 2%. Why don't you sued JO? Believe me, there is a lot of things that Mesa can be sued for.

Tell me 5 things that ALPA would bring to Skywest that would benefit the pilot group.

Now, tell me if you have those 5 things at other regionals that ALPA currently represents like Comair, Mesa, ASA, etc.

And finally, if ALPA wasn't able to get those things at other carriers, what makes you think it will happen at SKYW?

I love to hear these ALPA supporters, thinking ALPA will come down and tell management we need a pay raise, more days off, better block, etc, and things will happen. Just like they have happened for all the other regionals they represent.

Have your parents ever told you that you lead by example? Once you start showing me that your theory really works, and that things are improving for the companies you already represent, then I might listen. I have no confidence in all the bullsh*t you write in your cards.

Okay I've come up with 3 off the top of my head...

1. A written contract that would be binding on a successor
2. Only be subject to discipline for "just cause" - With an appeal path all the way to the Supreme Court.
3. Right to force the company to negotiate with you in "good faith" or face self-help.

You mentioned Com Air, Mesa, and ASA

Mesa - work rules/pay sucks, but they ended up utilizing a LOT of negotiating capital getting a solid scope and all of the MAG pilot-groups under one contract. They will have much more leverage the next time. Pilots only bitch about pay rates/work rules, but there is a reason Scope is Section 1 of every ALPA pilot contract.

ASA - what about them? The way I see it, it is your beloved management that is putting the screws to this pilot group. If your management had it their way, there would be no ASA pilot group...their contract-and the fact they were unionized is the only thing that is keeping your management from ramming your payrates/workrules down their throats.

ComAir - There company went bankrupt, it had nothing to do with ALPA. They spent the last few years with an industry (regional industry) leading contract.

Let me ask you this...

If the Skywest pilots were themselves on the receiving end...

What would stop management from suddenly cutting your pay rates say...UAL cancelled your code-share?

Say Skywest had to furlough, what would stop your management from furloughing for convinience instead of seniority? Let's see, that Midwest deal didn't work out...let's close the Milwaukee base - all Milwaukee pilots are furloughed regardless of seniority. Do you think the rest of your non-furloughed pilots would put up a fight?

If Skywest were bought by another carrier - say Mesa, what would stop Mesa from dissolving your pilot group and giving you a "take it or leave it" proposition. Maybe you will be lucky and they will give you a preferential interview. I'll give you a hint, the answer is a 7 letter word that starts with n and ends in g n_ _ _ _ _ g!

Good luck.

Last edited:
One more question...

Skywest pilots all seem to think that the mere fact that ALPA comes on the property would decrease pay/work rules...look at Mesa - look at PSA.

Management is deathly afraid of ALPA setting up shop.? hmm?

If the anti-ALPA skywest pilots are correct, then wouldn't the company want ALPA to come on board and lower pay/work rules...lowering their cost. Hey, you got what you asked for! Shoot, pretty soon, ALPA would do such a poor job that maybe management will start passing out ALPA buttons.

wake-up people

O
Skywest pilots all seem to think that the mere fact that ALPA comes on the property would decrease pay/work rules...look at Mesa - look at PSA.

Management is deathly afraid of ALPA setting up shop.? hmm?

If the anti-ALPA skywest pilots are correct, then wouldn't the company want ALPA to come on board and lower pay/work rules...lowering their cost. Hey, you got what you asked for! Shoot, pretty soon, ALPA would do such a poor job that maybe management will start passing out ALPA buttons.

wake-up people

Interesting argument......

You need to try a little harder... try including those who were given a "choice" of resigning or being fired!
P.S. I already gave Newwoman a long list of initials on an old thread of people here that were unfairly terminated but he's too junior to know any of them.

Really, because I used to work at an ALPA carrier, and I could provide you with a list of initials longer than a horses d*ck of people that were unfairly fired there. In fact it was so common it happened on almost a monthly basis.

You guys can keep your ALPA, and I'll keep my 2%...hey I'll use it to buy more stock. Oh yeah, what ALPA carrier offers that plan?
hmmm, let me think...

P.S. I already gave Newwoman a long list of initials on an old thread of people here that were unfairly terminated but he's too junior to know any of them.[/quote]

He may be junior...but he probably has some real experience as to what a union has to offer.

I would bet the majority of you on here at SkyW whining how we need a union were cfi's that went straight to the bro, now you're on the big jet and you hear what ALPA tells you. You listen, but you have no real experience as to what ALPA can do.

I'm not saying SkyW is perfect, we certainly have our problems, just as every other carrier does and believe me ALPA won't solve these. But I have to say the grass is pretty green here at SkyW.

If you guys are that unhappy at SkyW...quit, because I'm running out of tissues and t*mpons for you.

I would bet the majority of you on here at SkyW whining how we need a union were cfi's that went straight to the bro, now you're on the big jet and you hear what ALPA tells you. You listen, but you have no real experience as to what ALPA can do.

Actually, it's quite the opposite, in fact. The junior Skywest guys with no previous airline experience tend to be very anti-ALPA, while the more senior pilots tend to be either pro-ALPA or leaning towards it.

Actually, it's quite the opposite, in fact. The junior Skywest guys with no previous airline experience tend to be very anti-ALPA, while the more senior pilots tend to be either pro-ALPA or leaning towards it.

That seems quiet contrary I have to say. Considering the majority of the new guys coming online now are previous 121 from uh em, ALPA carriers who want nothing to do with ALPA.

I have no beef with ALPA. I firmly believe that a company with a bad working relationship with its employees is in need of union representation. However SkyW management has a great working relationship with it's people, they will go out of their way to help you if you help them. If that relationship suddenly changed and they imposed pay cuts for no reason...Then maybe there would be a need for ALPA.
I will say the majority of the problems I hear of from other pilots with management are self-induced.
I would love to be paid 100,000 a year too and sit at home...but that's not the name of the game anymore.
Just ask your fellow UAL pilots.

You ALPA people are all the same. You love to put your nice suits, travel from crew room to crew room with free meals and pass along cards.
You love to steer the pot, but that's as far as you will go. Why don't you spend the same effort to represent the poor pilots at Mesa and other carriers? They are already paying their 2%. Why don't you sued JO? Believe me, there is a lot of things that Mesa can be sued for.

Tell me 5 things that ALPA would bring to Skywest that would benefit the pilot group.

Now, tell me if you have those 5 things at other regionals that ALPA currently represents like Comair, Mesa, ASA, etc.

And finally, if ALPA wasn't able to get those things at other carriers, what makes you think it will happen at SKYW?

I love to hear these ALPA supporters, thinking ALPA will come down and tell management we need a pay raise, more days off, better block, etc, and things will happen. Just like they have happened for all the other regionals they represent.

Have your parents ever told you that you lead by example? Once you start showing me that your theory really works, and that things are improving for the companies you already represent, then I might listen. I have no confidence in all the bullsh*t you write in your cards.

1 thing a union does is "get it in writing." If you think that JA will keep his word just ask the people in the ASA GO about his word.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back