• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PurpleTail

Is that RMB or USD???
ALPA Strikes Back!!!

You gotta be kidding me. Does EVERYONE have to jump on the bandwagon???

Message Line

May 10, 2006

Possible Strike by ALPA Staff: ALPA, both nationally and in the MEC office, depends on numerous staff employees in the daily operation of our union. These staff employees are unionized themselves and are divided into two groups for the purposes of union representation and contract bargaining with their employer, ALPA. The two groups are simply designated Unit 1 and Unit 2.

Since March of this year, Unit 2, which represents the administrative employees, and ALPA have been negotiating a new contract with a goal of reaching agreement prior to the expiration of the current contract extension at midnight on May 10, 2006. The respective negotiating committees have been working diligently to achieve a contract, but an agreement has not yet been reached.

In the event of a strike, all ALPA offices that are ordinarily manned by Unit 2 employees will be closed. This will include the MEC office. We will not request any ALPA member or employee – management or otherwise - to cross a picket line of striking employees at ALPA offices, and no effort whatsoever will be made to replace striking employees.

In the event of a strike, which may well be honored by Unit 1 employees (professional staff such as legal, communications, etc.), communications with both local and national union offices that are not of an emergency nature should be handled by e-mail, as that will be the most reliable and easily accessed venue for committee members and block representatives.

There will also be a new link on the MEC website listing emergency contact numbers. Again, it will be best to do all possible non-emergency communication with your union by e-mail in the case of a strike. The listing on the website for committees and block representatives should only be used in the case of urgent matters.

Be advised that this is still only a possible strike by the ALPA staff. The strike has yet to be initiated. We will keep you apprised of the status of this situation, and will announce the closing of the office if necessary.

We hope that a new Unit 2 contract is agreed to soon. If an agreement is not reached, however, we will work diligently to maintain essential services during a Unit 2 walkout while still respecting their right to strike.

Ahh yes, I can hear airline CEO's laughing from here!!

I wonder if ALPA is going to outsource the work to a regional secretary? :)

So, will ALPA conduct a sympathetic strike against itself?

In the event of a strike, all ALPA offices that are ordinarily manned by Unit 2 employees will be closed. This will include the MEC office. We will not request any ALPA member or employee – management or otherwise - to cross a picket line of striking employees at ALPA offices, and no effort whatsoever will be made to replace striking employees.

If noone crosses, then how will you negotiate? This is almost funny.

Their day of reckoning is coming!! And ill be there, in all my glory, watching, watching as it all comes crrrrrrummbling down!! hahahaha

D'Angelo.....

I've read alot of your posts and I have never agreed with your point of view on any of your arguments, BUT on this topic I agree with you 100%. Let me know when you want to go and watch this corrupt," woerthless " bunch of muthafu..... go down the toilet and I'll bring the beers. Heckling the ALPA sec that makes 116K a year, while they walk the picket line, would make up for the last 5 years of BS most of us have gone through. Karma's a b!tch duane and your times a comin your woerthless sack O Crap...........

I can only hope that the strike happens, ALPA crumbles, and a union emerges that recognizes the simple FACT that there has to be some MINIMUM STANDARD for contracts and wages for ALL carriers.

Too many whores willing to become bottom-feeders; only one way to stop it. If the individual MEC's don't like the new minimum standards, they can leave the larger union and strike out on their own, just like SWAPA, NPA, APA, etc.

Good luck, ALPA. Or should I said, good riddance.

Holy cow this board gets dumber by the minute...

Take a deep breath and think about this for a minute. ALPA is a union. Everyone that works as staff for that union, is also a part of an organized labor group. Additionally, all outsourced work (i.e. printing, mailing, etc) must also be completed by a unionized work force.

In this case, we have a union group exercising their right to self help. Nothing more, nothing less. Their contract expires, and they will not go to work without a contract.

I fail too see the big deal. Do a little research and you will find that when Unit 1 was in negotiations they also threatened a strike.

Alpa strikes back? Is it acceptable for us to threaten to strike but not ok for other unionized groups?

"Too many whores willing to become bottom-feeders"

This coming from a regional guy, you gotta be kidding me! You want a minimum standard contract, then you need to negotiate it! Why is it ALPA national's fault?

That said, I did get a good laugh about the admin strike at ALPA. I guess they deserve a big raise when everyone else is taking it in the $hitter.

furloughed dude said:
"Too many whores willing to become bottom-feeders"

This coming from a regional guy, you gotta be kidding me!
No, I'm not a regional guy. I USED to be a regional guy (and that was only after my 727 job tanked), but I also refused to work for a regional as an F/O because of the sub-par wages and I refused to go to training without pay and without a hotel.

Guess, what? I got every bit of it. So yes, I have every right to say "too many whores willing to become bottom-feeders" as I never participated in that race. I'm sick to DEATH of all these sh*t contracts that keep getting signed off by ALPA.

You want a minimum standard contract, then you need to negotiate it! Why is it ALPA national's fault?
OK. Maybe you're not understanding a "minimum standard contract". Let me speak slowly with small words:

ALPA has to sign off on EVERY contract at EVERY ALPA CARRIER! Duane has to put his little signature on the dotted line saying that he agrees with it.

A "minimum standard contract" means that NO carrier could negotiate wages lower than a set standard for each size of aircraft. If that carrier goes out of business because of it, too bad. If the employee's salaries can't be paid ABOVE THE FU*KING POVERTY LEVEL, then that company doesn't need to exist.

So, put simply, if ALPA had a minimum standard contract with wages and minimum work rules that addressed fatigue issues that the FAA chooses to ignore as well as minimum 401k contributions and said, "Sorry airline management, this is it. You want to give more, fine. You want to give less, not going to happen", then we wouldn't have major airline legacy carriers signing for pilot wages less than the LCC's.

So yes, ALPA is to blame because THEY KEEP FU*KING SIGNING THESE AGREEMENTS.

Do you get it now?

That said, I did get a good laugh about the admin strike at ALPA. I guess they deserve a big raise when everyone else is taking it in the $hitter.
Exactly. KMDA ALPA.

Latest resources

Back