Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
slaquer5 said:
( Economic and Financial Analysis, etc)

O R I think we will pass on there advice.

ya

Too late!

Like your contract? It would've looked a lot different if your negotiators had showed up at the table with no clue about the value of each individual item in the deal.

Look at SWAPA's LM-2 statement and check out how much you paid ALPA for the gouge.

Southwest is a good airline, with good pilots, and a good union. But SWAPA doesn't have the resources or the organization in-house as ALPA does...so they hire ours. ALPA goes outside to hire professional pollsters, so the situation isn't unique to SWAPA.

Why fly when you can be a temp at ALPA for 41K. Home every night, probably decent medical etc.

Time for Duane and ALPA to wake up and smell the coffee!

Dizel8 said:
Why fly when you can be a temp at ALPA for 41K. Home every night, probably decent medical etc.

Time for Duane and ALPA to wake up and smell the coffee!

Yes...you can be a "temp" and pull down $41K a year in wages. :rolleyes:

Want me to get you an application?

If you're gullible enough to buy off on the screwy numbers posted by an anti-union organization, then perhaps I can interest you in a great deal on the Brooklyn Bridge?

Lear70 said:
No, my W-2 last year was a little over $80,000 at PCL. Not fantastic, but not bad for a 50 seat RJ.

Out of curiosity, what was the hourly pay rate you were working under to achieve that $80k W-2? Did you include per diem by chance? How many credit hours did it take to achieve that W-2? Honest questions...no disrespect intended.

Lear70 said:
Ummm... where did I say I was giving my previous coworkers a bunch of crap? What an unintuitive leap, jacka*s. I was giving ALPA a rash of sh*t for Duane's hypocritical "NO MORE CONCESSIONARY CONTRACTS" claim then the very carrier Duane works for takes a huge hit. Get it straight, moron.

I believe DW was referring to carriers negotiating outside of bankruptcy. NWA is currently in BK as we all know.

Lear70 said:
Not completely, but partially, yes. Regional MEC's are pretty much the epitome of "the blind leading the blind." Pilots who have no CLUE how to negotiate contracts are in there against professional union-busters and attorneys. ALPA bears the responsibility to draw a bottom line and say "Here's the starting point, boys. I know you're new at this and you've only been TRAINED to fly airplanes, but this is the bottom, work up from here." And yes, I served on various committees almost my entire time at PCL and I'm not new to how ALPA works.

Are you lumping the latest XJT contract in with this generalization? Are you also saying that the PCL NC is negotiating against PCL management with no attorney/professional negotiator and E&FA/R&I presence?

-Neal

BluDevAv8r said:
Out of curiosity, what was the hourly pay rate you were working under to achieve that $80k W-2? Did you include per diem by chance? How many credit hours did it take to achieve that W-2? Honest questions...no disrespect intended.
None taken, I don't mind the questions.

Yes, I included per diem. The pay rate was $63 an hour with over 1,100 credit hours, 980 hours of flying. I also did 4 months of 24/7 per diem from base hopping early in the year.

I believe DW was referring to carriers negotiating outside of bankruptcy. NWA is currently in BK as we all know.
I didn't read the quote directly, you could be correct about his quote. Either way, there should be NO concessions given where they're not absolutely needed. NWA has yet to prove how the concessions they were awarded will put them in the black. MSA has been consistently profitable yet the MSA MEC last time I heard was considering a 6% pay cut? WTFO?

Are you lumping the latest XJT contract in with this generalization?
Quite honestly, I wasn't that impressed with the XJT contract. As far as I know, the XJT NC is made up of pilots as well, which I still believe to be a bad idea.

Are you also saying that the PCL NC is negotiating against PCL management with no attorney/professional negotiator and E&FA/R&I presence?
Oh yeah, the ALPA attorney is around, for what he's worth (nothing). I have almost 20 outstanding grievances over the last 5 years and the ALPA attorney hasn't done squat with them. Additionally, he's lost so many disciplinary grievances that I PREFERRED our Grievance Chair to do my grievances, rather than the attorney, and recommended to other pilots who were in disciplinary process to get a non-ALPA attorney to represent them.

That's the kind of representation (or lack thereof) I'm talking about. ALPA has a GREAT research department, lots of good info for the NC, but no real negotiating help by someone WHO NEGOTIATES FOR A LIVING, which is what the MEC should use their money for.

Where was that Kharas seminar CD again?

Boy that one cracks me up! This toad includes per diem in his annual salary! Also, he says he isn't a whore and flys 1100 hours at $63/hour. Son, you are the epitome of a whore! I certainly wouldn't brag about that!

I love the part about having 20 grievances! What a loser! Can you say cry baby? You work for a regional with crap wages and work rules and then cry about your poor treatment. I can certainly understand why you have disciplinary problems! You seem to be that 1% that should have never made it into this profession. Quit looking for someone else to blame for your $hitty life....

furloughed dude said:
I love the part about having 20 grievances! What a loser! Can you say cry baby? You work for a regional with crap wages and work rules and then cry about your poor treatment. I can certainly understand why you have disciplinary problems! You seem to be that 1% that should have never made it into this profession. Quit looking for someone else to blame for your $hitty life....

Not to defend him or speak for him...but...

He didn't say HE had disciplinary problems. He said that he didn't want to use their professional from ALPA on his contract grievance cases because he had issues with the way the professional handled some past disciplinary cases.

Now we all know that Pinnacle doesn't have the greatest work rules, pay rates, etc. But that notwithstanding, how can you fault someone for trying to enforce the rules that they DO have in place? If he feels the contract isn't being followed, then he is well within his right to grieve the infraction and let the process run its course. ALPA has 3 main tenets. First is safety, second is negotiating contracts and the third is to enforce those contracts. Too many people don't enforce their contract because it "takes up their free time" and they "don't want to commute in on a day off."

-Neal

BluDevAv8r said:
Not to defend him or speak for him...but...

He didn't say HE had disciplinary problems. He said that he didn't want to use their professional from ALPA on his contract grievance cases because he had issues with the way the professional handled some past disciplinary cases.
EXACTLY. Thank you for reading instead of jumping to conclusions.

I have never, ever, ever been disciplined for anything other than a Missed Trip and even then it was excused or removed. I do, however, have friends that have called me when they've gotten into serious trouble, and that's who I've recommended to find an outside attorney to represent them.

Now we all know that Pinnacle doesn't have the greatest work rules, pay rates, etc. But that notwithstanding, how can you fault someone for trying to enforce the rules that they DO have in place? If he feels the contract isn't being followed, then he is well within his right to grieve the infraction and let the process run its course.

ALPA has 3 main tenets. First is safety, second is negotiating contracts and the third is to enforce those contracts. Too many people don't enforce their contract because it "takes up their free time" and they "don't want to commute in on a day off."

-Neal
Furloughed d*uche, read that again. Several times. Seriously, before you respond, READ THE ABOVE TWO PARAGRAPHS.

Think of the schoolyard bully. He only bullies the people who LET HIM. When you fight back, the bully goes away. That's about how it is to work at PCL. I made it very difficult for them to violate the contract, so they stopped trying and went on to find other people. Half of my grievances are over money issues, the only thing they continued to violate with me (and everyone else).

Grieving something is not whining. Actually, it's the opposite. All too often I hear guys in the crew room WHINING about what the company did to them, but they never grieve it. I decided to do something about mine, rather than just complain. I filed the AVIS form, gave it to my grievance rep, and once they agreed with its validity, THEY run with it.

So that's whining, how?

Maybe you should really do some research about how ALPA (or any union for that matter) really works before you stick your foot in your mouth. Again. You're starting to sound kind of silly.

As far as blaming someone for my life and being unhappy? Are you kidding me? Have you even listened to anything I've said? You should seriously READ someone's posts before thinking of how to respond, you're missing things.

I no longer work for an ALPA carrier. I don't have a stake in whether they get their head out of their collective as*es in Herndon or not. I'm loving life, thank you very much. Have a great job with a great company, and the people who hired me have known me for years, so I guess I'm not "the 1% who shouldn't have made it in this career" after all.

Nice try though. Sounds like you have some pent-up anger you should go unload somewhere. :)

Last edited:
Per diem does count as part of the salary. If you spent $40/day on food then your spending way too much. You can treat yourself to a nice dinner and still come in under

Latest resources

Back