• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA Signs off on Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Adding a couple years and pay increases to the top of the FO payscale would be a reasonable start. Or better yet FO's at the top of the list equal to the number of age 60+ Captain's upgrade, receive Captain's pay and work as FO's or CA's as needed. No delayed upgrade or loss of pay.

Last edited:
Just heads up for couple of you guys who mentioned putting over sixty's into the right seat.In most states and the Federal government have existing age discrimination law that would prevent that.

Just heads up for couple of you guys who mentioned putting over sixty's into the right seat.In most states and the Federal government have existing age discrimination law that would prevent that.

You mean the ICAO rule is discriminatory? Why can only 1 pilot be over 60? Isn't that along the same lines?

Why bother to poll the membership if you disregard it anyway??

That's the most important question. Rez's answer was less than satisfactory, to put it lightly. We've now conducted multiple polls on this subject. Each one of these polls concluded that a majority favored the current policy, and the President, EC, and the EB have completely ignored the will of the membership. Simply deplorable.

what about the new rule that says you will have to retire at 65? or the rule that says you have to be 23 to get an ATP? or 21 to drink? That would hardly be setting new precident if they made them go to the right seat. But thats the problem....They want 5 more years at the top, and its ok that it is at our expense.

All I'm saying is you can't discriminate against anybody over 40 by law because of age. The union or company couldn't make anybody downgrade at 60 as some have suggested cause of age if the 65 thing goes thru.. It has nothing to do with ICAO or anything else as its present day law and is not specific to airlines.Please don't shoot the messenger.

All I'm saying is you can't discriminate against anybody over 40 by law because of age. The union or company couldn't make anybody downgrade at 60 as some have suggested cause of age if the 65 thing goes thru.. It has nothing to do with ICAO or anything else as its present day law and is not specific to airlines.Please don't shoot the messenger.

I remember Gen Lee bringing up the point that firemen and policemen have to retire at 55, and that is why the Supreme Court ruled against a group of Southwest pilots that tried to get the rule changed earlier. The Court didn't want to change the rule then because they would have to allow firemen and policemen to work longer, endangering lives possibly. Only Congress could legally change this rule, and so far they haven't done it for the policemen or firemen, but may do it now for the pilots. I think you are wrong, and you can shoot the messenger. Also, pilots in Britian go to the right seat at age 60 for two years.

Heavy,Thats my point once the FAA changes to 65 you can't discriminate, union or companies.As for Britain as of Nov 2006 its 65 although I don't know if they have the same discrimination laws we do so a union contract may prevent over 60 flying .I don't think my lady / lawyer friend knows English law but I'll ask her in the AM.

Heavy,Thats my point once the FAA changes to 65 you can't discriminate, union or companies.As for Britain as of Nov 2006 its 65 although I don't know if they have the same discrimination laws we do so a union contract may prevent over 60 flying .I don't think my lady / lawyer friend knows English law but I'll ask her in the AM.

File,
How is it discrimination if its in a negotiated contract between the company and pilots themselves. I could see if it was imposed without consent, but isn't the union contract implied consent.

Latest resources

Back