• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA President and Delta Connection ASA Pilots to Picket SkyWest Headquarters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can definately understand your point- however, there gets to be a point where you try and make chicken salad out of chicken s#@t. What I mean is, with a tallentless management like we have at ASA, we have to give them all we can to make up for their mental handicap....follow me??? (simple numbers = simple math)

Horizon is partly owned by Alaskan......Unfortunately we lost our wholely owned subsidiary advantage. In addition to that, they don't have the burden of a 100+aircraft fleet of inefficient, fuel guzzling, airspace backlogging 50 seaters.......don't take offense- I drive one.

This is contradictory and makes little sense.

-Blucher

Horizon is a different type of regional. You can not compare any other regional to Horizon. They have a niche.

How so??? You mean SKYW doesn't compare because we are much more profitable than they are? Give me some good reasons for them to be so much higher compensated than us? Even with their "high" employee costs Frontier wanted to expand their feed from Horizon, it was Horizon that chose to bring their equipment back for their own use.

The attitude of all these SKYW pilots simply freakin amazes me!!! ASA pilots are, and have been for OVER 4 YEARS, trying to negotiate a contract within the rules and confines of the railway labor act. And what are we negotiating for? Better wages and work rules to raise the bar a bit for this profession!!! Isnt that what we all want??? I just don't get you guys for constantly bashing us like were trying to kick some puppies!!! I realize life is great over there in Utah, but look across the fence at what we are going through and what we are trying to accomplish! You will benefit from our gains, as will the rest of this pathetic industry. Would we gain more respect from you guys if we were rolling over or undercutting you guys to try to take some of your flying and bring it to ASA???? It seems like it. Maybe since thats the mentality of so many of your pilots, you would respect that more because you understand it. Why picket SGU? Because that is the HQ of our parent company. Picketing is one of very few tools an airline union has to pressure the company in some way, any way. It is a tactic used in this industry by many of your peers. From FedEx to United to American to Delta. That is how it works. So, you guys hate unions. Great. That works for you. But we at ASA have one, and they are working to get us a fair contract, that at least brings us up to what you SKYW pilots currently enjoy, and maybe improve it a bit. Improvements that maybe you could ask to match in the future. We are at least not out trying to undercut everybody for their flying, further lowering the bar. Just cut us a break, walk a mile in our shoes. We are losing our aircraft to you at SKYW. We have deliveries slated for us diverted to you. You have had more upgrades this month than we have had all year! But yet you guys bash us for fighting to at least improve our work rules, job protection and pay, legally, with the means afforded us. It just makes no sense to me. So.....we picketed SJU. Just show some support, because as it is, you look like a bunch of greedy guys, joyous in your gains while we suffer our losses. Its no wonder many of the rest of the industry look down on you.

Couldn't have said it any better. Nice post.

For the record, I don't have any problem with ASA guys or what you're trying to accomplish. Where I do have a problem is when you attack US for not joining the ALPA club. All we have to do is look at how it has worked for ya'll to realize that our way (though it has it's own flaws) works better for us. I'm all for saying either 'you guys do it your way, we'll do it ours' OR 'you guys join the club, ask for a carbon copy of what we have and let's move on.' thing is, Unionazis like Tomct are quick to flame that we really don't have it so good and we'd do well to adopt an anti-managment position and draw up battle plans because 'we're next.' No thanks. I don't want to work in an environment like that. As to your points:

The attitude of all these SKYW pilots simply freakin amazes me!!! ASA pilots are, and have been for OVER 4 YEARS, trying to negotiate a contract within the rules and confines of the railway labor act. And what are we negotiating for? Better wages and work rules to raise the bar a bit for this profession!!! Isnt that what we all want??? I just don't get you guys for constantly bashing us like were trying to kick some puppies!!!

Again, your way doesn't seem to be working so well, and that goes back well before you were bought by Inc. Not a very good sales pitch to recruit us.

I realize life is great over there in Utah

Agreed, so why would we want to change to the way life is over there in ATL?

Would we gain more respect from you guys if we were rolling over or undercutting you guys to try to take some of your flying and bring it to ASA????

No, you would gain more respect if you directed your anger at where it belongs, instead of at us. We didn't cause your problems.

So, you guys hate unions. Great. That works for you. But we at ASA have one, and they are working to get us a fair contract, that at least brings us up to what you SKYW pilots currently enjoy, and maybe improve it a bit.

Yet again, sounds like it isn't working so well. Why should we ditch our way of doing things over here? I'd really like to hear a well thought out response from anyone with clear, non-inflammatory ideas------not so fast Tomct!!

Improvements that maybe you could ask to match in the future.

We already enjoy better overall pay, QOL, and future prospects. We're not playing catch-up here, quite the contrary.

Just cut us a break, walk a mile in our shoes. We are losing our aircraft to you at SKYW. We have deliveries slated for us diverted to you. You have had more upgrades this month than we have had all year! But yet you guys bash us for fighting to at least improve our work rules, job protection and pay, legally, with the means afforded us. It just makes no sense to me. So.....we picketed SJU. Just show some support, because as it is, you look like a bunch of greedy guys, joyous in your gains while we suffer our losses. Its no wonder many of the rest of the industry look down on you.

like I said above, I hope ya'll get everything your after. However, if history is any indicator, it is not on your side.

I told everyone that would listen that I wanted nothing to do with ASA becoming part of our 'family.' Of course that didn't matter, but I take no comfort or glee in seeing ya'll go through what you are. At the same time, I'm amazed by zealots who are trying to convert us to the ALPA way while all this goes on.

I wish you the best of luck. I'll hope that cooler heads will prevail. I think everyone at SkyWest feels the same.

The "way things are going" IS NOT THE FAULT OF ALPA OR UNIONS!!!!!!!!

It is the fault of whipsawing, and bottom feeder airlines like Mesa and Skywest (50 seat pay to 99 seaters)! Stop saying this is a union thing. Without our union, we would be in a hugh mess!!! They/it is not to blame! The blame is pressure to reduce our costs to keep up with others willing to underbid us for our flying! NOT THE UNION! Things are a mess for us at ASA because Skywest Inc is taking our airplanes and flying, and giving it to Skywest pilots. We want you to unionize to maybe put a stop to this, and insulate you SKYW pilots from facing it in the future, when they come for you next! How can you look at ASA and say you pin our problems on our having a union. Look in the mirror. There is our problem.

I just spoke to someone who was there and apparently Jerry greeted the picket line then went on to argue with Duane about how ASA needs to be at industry average pay.

Not only that, but he actually handed Captain Woerth a bunch of propoganda that he had compiled. Of course, Duane quickly threw it aside (on camera) and proceded to tell Jerry how things are going to be. Jerry didn't even know how to respond and just walked away embarrassed. A truly beautiful thing, and all recorded by the cameras. :smash:

Not only that, but he actually handed Captain Woerth a bunch of propoganda that he had compiled. Of course, Duane quickly threw it aside (on camera) and proceded to tell Jerry how things are going to be. Jerry didn't even know how to respond and just walked away embarrassed. A truly beautiful thing, and all recorded by the cameras. :smash:

And HOW is it going to be?

Bingo. Did you really think ALPA was gonna tell them about ASA? The message was "We're picketing Skywest".

No. But as often as KSL shows SkyWest on the TV, you'd think they'd do their homework and report who was picketing whom and not report something that is pretty cryptic or even misleading.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back