• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA drive starting at Jetblue...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me guess you never worked under a union; let alone alpa. And you think: Karl Rove, Chenney and Bush are the best patriots in the world. I, UTA and fly with closed minded folks such as yourself who have never left their little glass bubble. Do me a favor and read a book other than a Limbaugh book.

Excuse me? Please tell me where you get all of this from my post? Are you drinking before noon on a layover again?

As a matter of record, I have been in a union (non-aviation) and voted to strike once. As for my politics, I'm a Democrat. NOT THAT YOU NEEDED TO F-ING KNOW.

If you have something intelligent to say or ask, like "Chef, why are you not ready to vote for ALPA?" -- then by all means do it. Otherwise, put your cravat back on, polish up that man-pleaser of yours and get ready for your next "UTA".

... but 2 out of 3 pilots said, "no thank you".

NO they absolutely did not. You have no way of knowing what those pilots did or didn't do. At a company where only 50% of the pilot group does the Speak Out Survey, and only 600 pilots vote in the PVC election (yep, I'm one of those too), all you can say about our pilot group (other than we have a lot of pilots that couldn't get hired at real airlines) is that they are apathetic and lazy.

I am already hearing stories about 190 FOs telling their CAs about how they didn't vote, but wish they had.

On another note -- JB hired two over 60 pilots in the latest 190 FO class that started on 18 Feb. One of those was K. Kelly (a retread). Ahhhh, JetBlue ... raising the bar once again. Age 60 and over -- cheap, dispensable labor.

Last edited:
On another note -- JB hired two over 60 pilots in the latest 190 FO class that started on 18 Feb. One of those was K. Kelly (a retread). Ahhhh, JetBlue ... raising the bar once again. Age 60 and over -- cheap, dispensable labor.
I'll be surprised if more airlines don't do this next year if they hire, and one or two might (JB and AAI come to mind).

3 years is plenty of time to recoup training costs. 61-62 year old guys would not upgrade to Captain with current upgrade times anywhere, and instead of upgrading a 3 year guy, they upgrade a 2 year guy and replace the 3 year guy with a new-hire.

As far as ALPA at JB? I wouldn't bet on it. At least not right now... I still hold out hope that the JBPA is a wakeup call for JB management, but we'll see what the year brings.

The biggest problem at Jetblue is that you have many captains here that look at their current situation and fear losing their current situation more than they fear the slow reduction in their pay and benefits due to lack of any defined COLA.

In 2003 they got theirs and have lost 15-18% since

Then you have " We were going to execute our compensation plan but we were punched in the teeth by this surprise filing and our hands are tied now " by top management.

Then following labratory conditions now nothing but silence followed by 2 yes 2 surveys which JB is oh so famous for.

Add in the 600 or so junior FO's here that everyday were preached to that they would be furloughed the second the union was voted in. ( Even though we may hire up to 100 this year with classes currently running)

There you have it the anatomy of a union defeat at jetblue.

The biggest problem at Jetblue is that you have many captains here that look at their current situation and fear losing their current situation more than they fear the slow reduction in their pay and benefits due to lack of any defined COLA.

Bingo. Not just Captains though.

JET41 has hit the nail on the head. First, JBPA failed because no goals were ever defined or achieved. Second, many of us were turned off by the rhetorical chest thumping by a few vociferous pilots who continue to rant today like little children. Finally, JBPA failed because it lost in a landslide 2-1 vote--not just 350 pilots short, but 2 out of 3 pilots said, "no thank you". A union drive in this next year is just plain S-T-U-P-I-D because you're unlikely to sway enough people when you've given the company no time to even address the issues at hand.

Just wondering how long time-wise one should give the company to "address the issues at hand" before one says enough is enough ? Haven't you given them enough time already ??

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
Is it true that Dave Barger built a LEANING TOWER OF EXPECTATIONS during the JBPA union movement?

I had a JBLU pilot in the JS last week going into SDF who believes the Barger brothers will make right where Neelman failed.

Is that the general sense or are pilots happy with where they sit in respect to their peers. It would seem that an ALPA movement would be succesful if leadership fails to follow through.

I must say the LEANING TOWER OF EXPECTATIONS did get a laugh from us...when it falls I hope you guys are brough back into reality.

I'm a 190 FO in the bottom 200 who voted for JBPA and has already sent my info to ALPA. I actually had a captain tell me we were flying an RJ and needed MY wages to be competitive with RJ operators, WHILE WE WERE FLYING JFK-SDQ WITH 98 FREAKIN PEOPLE WEIGHING 114K!! I asked him if he thought he was an RJ pilot when he was in the right seat of the bus flying JFK-BOS...

Pilots in general are short-sighted and selfish but we've got some extreme examples here... and hell no I'm not happy where we sit in respect to our peers/

Unfortunately, I believe there are enough B6 pilots with residual heartburn at ALPA that this election will fail worse than the JBPA election.

JBPA was the best hope for a union at B6 and I think we've all seen how the rank and file feels.

JBPA was the best hope for a union at B6 and I think we've all seen how the rank and file feels.

Well, 33% feels pretty bad about the outcome!

Time will tell what transpires, but the longer this drags on, positive changes that is, the better, since more will see it for the scam it really is.

Of course, never mind the fact, that certain issues simply cannot be resolved outside of a CBA.

Latest resources

Back