Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigMotorToter

ALPA Drive Starting at Jetblue...

Please call ALPA's Ron Rindfleisch @ (703) 689-4179 for details.

If this starts now it'll have about as munch success as JBPA. Those that are organizing this drive need to study the real reasons why JBPA failed. If the standard response is to assume that somehow 66% of the pilot group are Kool-ad drinkers or in managements hip pocket they are sorely mistaken, this simply isn't the case. Be better prepared in knowing what the pilot group as a whole wants and needs, disregard the 5 or 10% that represents the extremes of both sides. Talk to the hundreds of pilots that you'll find between either extreme, you might be surprised are what you find and hear.

Jet41...

Enlighten us please. Tell us what they are waiting for??? Because they just passed on a GOLDEN opportunity.

In spite of what appears as a lopsided vote, 33%/67%, a union at Jetblue only needs an additional 350 pilots or so. That would give us the 50% + 1 we need.

There are quite a few pilots here who wanted ALPA in the first place and didn't want an in-house, so many didn't vote in the hopes that the in-house would fail and we would only have to wait one year for the next vote, vs. waiting possibly years to merge with ALPA or de-certify JBPA and then vote ALPA.

Throw in some fence sitters that will switch to yes when jetblue doesn't do what they said they would do this year, and we just might get it passed next year.

In spite of what appears as a lopsided vote, 33%/67%, a union at Jetblue only needs an additional 350 pilots or so. That would give us the 50% + 1 we need.

There are quite a few pilots here who wanted ALPA in the first place and didn't want an in-house, so many didn't vote in the hopes that the in-house would fail and we would only have to wait one year for the next vote, vs. waiting possibly years to merge with ALPA or de-certify JBPA and then vote ALPA.

Throw in some fence sitters that will switch to yes when jetblue doesn't do what they said they would do this year, and we just might get it passed next year.

But will the 646 vote for ALPA? I voted for the JBPA, not just any union. Management would really have to drop the ball (again) for me to vote in ALPA.

But will the 646 vote for ALPA? I voted for the JBPA, not just any union. Management would really have to drop the ball (again) for me to vote in ALPA.
Let me guess you never worked under a union; let alone alpa. And you think: Karl Rove, Chenney and Bush are the best patriots in the world. I, UTA and fly with closed minded folks such as yourself who have never left their little glass bubble. Do me a favor and read a book other than a Limbaugh book.

If this starts now it'll have about as munch success as JBPA. Those that are organizing this drive need to study the real reasons why JBPA failed. If the standard response is to assume that somehow 66% of the pilot group are Kool-ad drinkers or in managements hip pocket they are sorely mistaken, this simply isn't the case. Be better prepared in knowing what the pilot group as a whole wants and needs, disregard the 5 or 10% that represents the extremes of both sides. Talk to the hundreds of pilots that you'll find between either extreme, you might be surprised are what you find and hear.

JET41 has hit the nail on the head. First, JBPA failed because no goals were ever defined or achieved. Second, many of us were turned off by the rhetorical chest thumping by a few vociferous pilots who continue to rant today like little children. Finally, JBPA failed because it lost in a landslide 2-1 vote--not just 350 pilots short, but 2 out of 3 pilots said, "no thank you". A union drive in this next year is just plain S-T-U-P-I-D because you're unlikely to sway enough people when you've given the company no time to even address the issues at hand.

.... Finally, JBPA failed because it lost in a landslide 2-1 vote--not just 350 pilots short, but 2 out of 3 pilots said, "no thank you". A union drive in this next year is just plain S-T-U-P-I-D because you're unlikely to sway enough people when you've given the company no time to even address the issues at hand.

Nice try. It is clear that JBPA lost the vote under the current scenario - but this scenario will quite possibly change. I concede that the JBPA lost - but if you believe that there were 67% of the pilots actively against the union you might want to reconsider your "analysis".

Voter turnout varies, but a 60% turnout is considered good in the mainstream political spectrum - where only those who vote count. Under current NMB rules, couch potatoes, apathetics and the clueless are all aligned with the no voters.

It is hard to know their exact percentage but based on standard union election voter turnout -there is at least a 35% no show factor. If these non-votes were excluded, as they will be under at least one pending bill, the JBPA would be your representative today.

I just read on another site that ALPA got a whopping 49 write-ins for the election. I realize some ALPA supporters will wait until they think there is more ALPA support before they vote. However, in my class of about 25 people, I was the only one trying to sway guys to vote for JBPA. There was only one other person who even agreed with me that I know of. I doubt my class is unique in its opinion. Ninety percent of the arguments again voting in any union was that they went down that road before and didn't feel they got squat for representation.

There are way to many USAir, TWA, other general ALPA haters at JetBlue for ALPA have a chance anytime in the near future, if ever at all.

Latest resources

Back