• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA Defeats Emirates in Rent-A-Code Scheme

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You don't need to tell us all the advantages of being employed in the Middle East. We all know the advantages, and have decided that living there would never be worth it. Thanks for sharing.

Quite an arrogant and blanket statement for you to ASSume that you know what everyone else on this board knows or wants in their life. The choice between working at a non-union second rate carrier in the US or EK is definitely an individual decision. Thanks for sharing.

Again, you have no constructive answer so you chose a ridiculous and pointless argument. It is kind of like me bashing Delta for deciding to initiate Atlanta to Tupelo, MS. If they make money on it, go for it.

Care to comment on why a Local government in the US would subsidize Emirates with taxpayer dollars rather than trying to attract a US carrier to do the same pairing with their crap service or do you just want to try and side line the real issue as you normally do?

Yeah, but I don't want to fly to Kabul, Khartoum, or even Nairobi right now. No thanks. But, you can do it. And, why would the Govt do that? Well, looks like they won't do that anymore. It was under a cheaper contract with National Air Cargo, but it looks like people didn't investigate much, until DL did. You're welcome. That really was ridiculous, and now apparently solved.

Bye Bye---General Lee

General,

It's a waste of time to correct your misinformation. But just in case someone is reading your posts and thinking about going to EK I will correct a few of your mistakes. It is quite easy to trip trade. I do it every month. The maximum days off in a row for trip trading is 7 not 5. Not sure where you heard that. I am in the middle of 7 off right now. So you are simply WRONG.

The middle east destinations you mentioned are all turn arounds. You don't layover in DOH, KWI, Tehran, etc. So for pilots who like to be home every night they are perfect trips. You can be home virtually every day of the month if you swap your layovers for turns. If you like layovers then EK destinations beat DAL hands down. No comparison. Your clapped out 767 cannot compete with the variety on the EK777 fleet. Take a look at an EK route map.

We have Rest Days here as well. it's not considered an OFF day even though you don't go to work. So my usual 14-15 OFF days plus my 2-3 rest days means a normal month is 16-18 OFF days using a US scheduling system. Add in 42 days of vacation per year and our rosters are not that bad. I have been averaging about 750 hours per year.

There are lots of things wrong with EK but you consistently post misinformation. And dude if you are living the Delta dream (ice cream sundae and all) why are you spending every waking minute on FI? Life must be amazing for you to have the time to break 18,000 posts.

Uhhhh, you're not telling the whole truth unsurprisingly. You may not layover in Tehran, but you are doing allnight turns (Look at EK 975), along with a couple day turns. Same with plenty of allnight India turns that are long 2 man flights. Throw in 95 hour monthly schedules that are given to you that you may not be able to change, and that doesn't sound fun. Where do I get this info? Read this forum, on the INTL section, and a couple other boards that we all know about.

The key here Green is what happened to Typhoon pilot. Why would that guy leave being so senior? That very rarely happens to senior US legacy pilots. Something else must be happening over there, and people should determine what that is before making such a major decision. Read what TP and Golden Falcon have to say on the "Ethihad info" thread. TP said he'd gladly take a newhire seat at a US legacy rather than stay over there.

Green, I do not spend "all my time" on FI, but certain topics interest me more, and people need to know what is going on out there. Read the other forums too, and the whole picture becomes more clear. Have a great day!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
We'll see, General, we'll see...It's been at best a trickle so far.

True. The torrent of water has to start sometime. I think the Legacies are currently ramping up for hiring. Once it does start at all 3, it will likely continue for years.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Our national budget is in shambles. 5, 10, couple hundred, they need to save wherever they can. If Emirates offers a cheaper ticket than Delta, it is our taxpayer money that should be spent in a cost effective way.

Your comments frighten me. :eek: Always

General,

Why did Typhoon leave? Who knows? I'm guessing because he wanted to. Maybe he bought a villa in Phuket and wants to be close to it. Maybe he missed living in the USA and has plenty of money in his bank account. Maybe he wanted a little variety in his life and decided to try out a new airline. Maybe he's sick of Dubai. Not everyone wants to put on the same uniform for 30 years. As a contract pilot you aren't tied to one airline. You don't take a big pay cut when you change jobs.

Because I'm bored here's a breakdown of my last 12 months (777fo). I never broke 90 hours. Captains have tougher schedules. Generally one extra trip per month. FO's fly 65-85 hours and CA's seem to be around 80-92. The company won't give you more than 92 even if you wanted it as it triggers premium pay.

Oct- 21 Days Off, 1 turnaround, 66 Hours
Sep- 17 Days Off, 1 turn, 86 Hours
Aug -22 Days Off, No Turns, 44 hours
Jul- 15 Days off ,No Turns, 79 hours
Jun- 17 days off, No turns, 53 hours block
May-14 days off, No turns, 85 hours
Apr - 18 Days off, No Turns, 58 hours
March- 11 Days Off, No Turns, 81 Hours
Feb- 13 Days Off, 0 Turns, 79 Hours
Jan- 17 Days Off, 2 turns, 52 hours
Dec2012- 15 Days Off, 1 turn, 73 hours
Nov2012- Reserve all month. Zero scheduled days off. Find out the night before if you are off or on call. Everybody sits reserve appx 1 month per year.

Not the best in the world but certainly not bad. Etihad and Qatar are a different story. IMHO there is only one airline in the ME worth working for. Plenty of downsides to EK but I think it's very competitive when stacked up against Delta.

Would i give up my spot for a place on the Fedex list? In a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I don't want to fly to Kabul, Khartoum, or even Nairobi right now. No thanks. But, you can do it. And, why would the Govt do that? Well, looks like they won't do that anymore. It was under a cheaper contract with National Air Cargo, but it looks like people didn't investigate much, until DL did. You're welcome. That really was ridiculous, and now apparently solved.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Did you actually read the article?

Read the bold text that I highlighted for you. Had United and the UAL MEC not taken a stand, nothing would have ever happened. All DAL and your MEC did was sniff the dogs butt and follow along as backup (you will see that further in the article if you actually read it).

September 20, 2013
Fellow ALPA members,
It?s a common perception that Washington, D.C., isn?t always known for its good judgment. However, ALPA, the United MEC, and United Airlines (UAL) worked together, and the General Services Administration (GSA) reversed a decision that would have required U.S. government employees to fly on a state-supported, foreign competitor?Emirates Airline. Instead, our collaborative, quick, and aggressive efforts will keep those passengers on United.

Last edited:
Did you actually read the article?

Read the bold text that I highlighted for you. Had United and the UAL MEC not taken a stand, nothing would have ever happened. All DAL and your MEC did was sniff the dogs butt and follow along as backup (you will see that further in the article if you actually read it).

September 20, 2013
Fellow ALPA members,
It?s a common perception that Washington, D.C., isn?t always known for its good judgment. However, ALPA, the United MEC, and United Airlines (UAL) worked together, and the General Services Administration (GSA) reversed a decision that would have required U.S. government employees to fly on a state-supported, foreign competitor?Emirates Airline. Instead, our collaborative, quick, and aggressive efforts will keep those passengers on United.

Thanks for the clarification, but DL and ALPA pushed against EK taking handouts from the EXIM Bank, with discounts for "poor countries." Is the UAE a poor country? So, UAL pilots and DL pilots have partnered with ALPA (lead by a DL pilot) to give your airline a backhanded slap. Thanks.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Freebird, General Lee is a girl?

Wow, resorting to grade school type slams. I'm really getting to you. Look, if you like your airline, great. I am pointing out things to perspective pilots, and you are free to try to correct me if you want. I am entitled to my opinion, though, and you can comment on that as well. Green just responded and gave a lot of good info. I like that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back