• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Furloughed80

September 20, 2013
Fellow ALPA members,
It?s a common perception that Washington, D.C., isn?t always known for its good judgment. However, ALPA, the United MEC, and United Airlines (UAL) worked together, and the General Services Administration (GSA) reversed a decision that would have required U.S. government employees to fly on a state-supported, foreign competitor?Emirates Airline. Instead, our collaborative, quick, and aggressive efforts will keep those passengers on United.
You can?t make this stuff up. The U.S. government awarded National Air Cargo (NAC) a contract to operate service on 31 U.S.?Middle East city pairs under the Fly America Act. Why should you care? NAC has just one passenger aircraft. It would be nearly impossible to use that NAC aircraft to fly all the routes awarded. What?s the real story? Another scheme.
The NAC contract was simply a ?rent-a-code? ploy for Emirates flights to and from the United States. The purpose of the Fly America Act is to ensure that passengers whose travel is paid for by the U.S. government will fly on U.S. airlines. This flying may include some code sharing with foreign partners, but NAC planned to fulfill this contract almost exclusively by placing its designator code on Emirates flights to and from the United States, putting U.S. taxpayer dollars to work supporting the Gulf carrier.
Recognizing the threat to our flying, United immediately mounted challenges. First, United challenged the GSA award to NAC/Emirates. Second, United challenged NAC?s application for scheduled passenger authority at DOT. ALPA strongly backed United?s positions in both efforts and, along with Delta Air Lines and Airlines for America, argued aggressively in support of UAL?s position at DOT. Our joint efforts prevailed?the GSA terminated NAC?s contract this week, returning 27 city pairs to UAL.
While this is an important and promising development, it is only temporary. The battle is not over. Long-term success is still uncertain because the GSA and DOT proceedings are still underway and could be reversed again in the coming weeks. It is clear, however, that concerted action by ALPA and the United MEC can effect change in Washington when we focus on the common ground we share. In the coming weeks and months, our union must push for a long-term?not just a temporary?policy that enhances the competitive position of U.S. airlines and does not threaten U.S. jobs. We need to make certain that U.S. government policy advances?or at a minimum, does not harm?the U.S. airline industry and its employees.
This victory is in part due to ALPA?s impeccable reputation in Washington, built upon the dedicated efforts of hundreds of United pilots who enable our government affairs work by participating in our Calls-to-Action and contributing to ALPA-PAC. Couple that with the support of thousands of ALPA pilots across all company lines, and we have a reliable cache of support for our issues.
As I said earlier, much work remains to remake our government?s policies for our industry and to achieve a truly level playing field globally, but the GSA?s decision serves as an indicator that we are flying in the right direction.
Respectfully,

Capt. Lee Moak

It's time to stop giving "handouts" to these Gulf carriers like EK, in addition to cheap financing that should be given to "poor countries" via the EXIM Bank. What does fv and 8sugarsugar think of this? Also, why is Typhoonpilot, the most prolific EK pilot on this board and other boards, leaving EK as a 777 Capt? Why would anyone want to do that? Just askin.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Fantastic! ALPA lobbyists beat Emirates lobbyists!

Bye Bye---General Lee

why is Typhoonpilot, the most prolific EK pilot on this board and other boards, leaving EK as a 777 Capt? Why would anyone want to do that? Just askin.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

They slapped him in the face with a lot of cash...! (As in "made him an offer he couldn't refuse") What's it to ya?

I like my gig, but they do send me an email here and again that makes me wonder....! God forbit we don't explain ourselves to you.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good...Glad ALPA finally did something useful with your money. The American military should stay on American aircraft.

The lobbying effort obviously didn't work in the destination arena though as Emirates has announced they will be starting DXB-BOS.

The purpose of the Fly America Act is to ensure that passengers whose travel is paid for by the U.S. government will fly on U.S. airlines.
What if the foreign airline ticket is cheaper?

They slapped him in the face with a lot of cash...! (As in "made him an offer he couldn't refuse") What's it to ya?

I like my gig, but they do send me an email here and again that makes me wonder....! God forbit we don't explain ourselves to you.:rolleyes:

What's it to ya??? Huh? Just asking about the biggest proponent of EK now leaving, which is a surprise to anyone who has read his posts over the years. Quit getting cocky. Not everyone at your airline loves it. An Aussie pilot at your airline gave me an earful a few months ago in HNL about things, and said if it got worse he'd probably leave. In the meantime, enjoy the NRT to MSP commute and the allnighter cargo runs out of Okinawa. You're awesome!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back