• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA and SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not nearly a 20 year captain but close, and most are of the same way, no thankyou ALPA. Wev'e been through so many drives and after the fact most if not all are happy with what we have.

ALPA is going to have to come up with a substantial performance package and history to push the majority to make this happen. What ahppened 30 years ago is not relevent.

Almost 16 years here...................please don't attempt to speak for me. What happened thirty years ago is relevant................but not as relevant as what has happened lately..................bucket system, DH JM pay thingy, etc., etc..

AF :cool:

So do those numbers include the 2% paycut you take after voting ALPA in?? To me, and I'm in no position to vote either way, ALPA would have to make a pretty strong case to the pilots that they would get at least a 4% pay raise in negotiations. I myself don't see that happening. Maybe if ALPA knocks one out of the park for the ASA pilots... we'll see.

Last edited:
I was always told if isn't broke don't fix it. Going ALPA would just even the playing field for the have-not regionals. They know we hold an unfair advantage over them by not having a union. Thanks for the rhetoric. Get back to us when a vote is actually in place. Until then, I'll just consider it a worn out scare tatic.

I have to agree with that! We have a huge advantage here. We are able to wait and see what the market can bear before we take too big of a raise. Getting a 2001 Comair style contract does not help if your going down the tubes just a few years later. This drive is really nothing but a big bore. Just a bunch of people telling you what you need instead of letting you think for yourself.

The jB guys are calling ALPA. VA exist on paper.

non union... it seems to me most places are unionized. care to address the Southwest factor? I asked you already but you didn't reply... or did I miss it?

Yea Southwest is doing well and they have an in house union NOT ALPA. I believe they continue to thrive because they are not getting crap advice from ALPA. ALPA tends to poison every company culture. Southwests unions actually work with the company not against it. Most places are unionized, being non union gives us an excellent advantage. Management always has to keep us just happy enough to keep the union away. I wouldn't be opposed to an in-house union as long as certain angry people who will remain un-named have absolutely nothing to do with it. This drive has been going on since mid 2005 and is going no where fast. A lot of people I talk to sent in their card but don't plan on voting for it.

Have you read Flying the Line Vol I and II? yes or no? (that goes for you too Newman)

What will happen in 5-10 years in relevent. Will you be prepared?

While I am sure that book means well it is also a biased book. It was written by an ALPA guy I believe so its obviously biased toward the union view.

I have to agree with that! We have a huge advantage here. We are able to wait and see what the market can bear before we take too big of a raise. Getting a 2001 Comair style contract does not help if your going down the tubes just a few years later. This drive is really nothing but a big bore. Just a bunch of people telling you what you need instead of letting you think for yourself.

You mean SkyWest management has a huge advantage, right? I don't see how having our leg cancellation policy unilaterally changed is an advantage to the pilots, do you?

I don't see how implementing the bucket system is an advantage to the pilots. Senior reserve pilots used to be able to decide if they wanted to fly lots and try to break guarantee they would go on "call first". If they wanted to spend time with their family or work on a project at home they would be called in seniority order. Now almost NOBODY breaks guarantee and NOBODY can expect to stay home with the kids.

How about PBS? Is that an advantage? I actually have been treated pretty well, but others have had flying forced onto their schedule even though they were senior enough to hold those days off. In the past, those pilots could have chosen to pick up that flying at time-and-a-half. Not anymore. We also get screwed on vacation under PBS. We now need to use more vacation hours to get the same number of days vacation under the old system. The system can be fixed by increasing the accrual rate. Do you think SAPA will get that for us?

I wish management wanted to please us as much as you want to please them.

You mean SkyWest management has a huge advantage, right? I don't see how having our leg cancellation policy unilaterally changed is an advantage to the pilots, do you?

I don't see how implementing the bucket system is an advantage to the pilots. Senior reserve pilots used to be able to decide if they wanted to fly lots and try to break guarantee they would go on "call first". If they wanted to spend time with their family or work on a project at home they would be called in seniority order. Now almost NOBODY breaks guarantee and NOBODY can expect to stay home with the kids.

How about PBS? Is that an advantage? I actually have been treated pretty well, but others have had flying forced onto their schedule even though they were senior enough to hold those days off. In the past, those pilots could have chosen to pick up that flying at time-and-a-half. Not anymore. We also get screwed on vacation under PBS. We now need to use more vacation hours to get the same number of days vacation under the old system. The system can be fixed by increasing the accrual rate. Do you think SAPA will get that for us?

I wish management wanted to please us as much as you want to please them.

If newwoman doesn't respond right away, please give her a minute(it's hard to type while she's grabbing her ankles)!

Nobody i know that supports a Union is asking for a Comair style contract. The main reason is to stop the slide of QOL/ work rules. If you can sit here and tell me that those issues havent gone south lately, you really need to take off the kool aid goggles.

Latest resources

Back