• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA and SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yea Southwest is doing well and they have an in house union NOT ALPA. I believe they continue to thrive because they are not getting crap advice from ALPA. ALPA tends to poison every company culture.

ALPA does no such thing. It is the company managements, not ALPA, that create the adversarial relationships. Take a look at ExpressJet. One of the leading ALPA small-jet carriers, their pilots have the highest W2 earnings in the industry, and they have a superb relationship with management. ALPA doesn't poison any relationships. We want to get along with management. Unfortunately, the feeling isn't usually mutual.

While I am sure that book means well it is also a biased book. It was written by an ALPA guy I believe so its obviously biased toward the union view.

It is not. The books were written by a college professor named George Hopkins. He had absolutely no connection to ALPA or the industry. The books were a completely non-biased view of the Association's history. You would do well to read them and become educated. Better yet, come out to the next event that ALPA organizes in your domicile for the organizing drive and we'll give you free copies of both books along with a free dinner. You game, or do you just want to hide behind a screen name forever?

ALPA does no such thing. It is the company managements, not ALPA, that create the adversarial relationships. Take a look at ExpressJet. One of the leading ALPA small-jet carriers, their pilots have the highest W2 earnings in the industry, and they have a superb relationship with management. ALPA doesn't poison any relationships. We want to get along with management. Unfortunately, the feeling isn't usually mutual.

It is not. The books were written by a college professor named George Hopkins. He had absolutely no connection to ALPA or the industry. The books were a completely non-biased view of the Association's history. You would do well to read them and become educated. Better yet, come out to the next event that ALPA organizes in your domicile for the organizing drive and we'll give you free copies of both books along with a free dinner. You game, or do you just want to hide behind a screen name forever?

Newman you continue to prove to everyone how uniformed you really are.

How was your cancellation policy changed?

A stiff margarita and a couple glasses of wine down, but here goes...

In the past, we have been guaranteed to be paid for what we bid, plus any extra that cropped up.

If the trip you bid is cos-lax-oak, you WILL get paid for that at a minimum. So if you end up diverting to sjc instead of continuing to oak, tthen later make it into oak, you get paid cos-lax-oak PLUS sjc-oak.

New rules: you get paid cos-lax-sjc-oak.

In this example, it's not a big difference because sjc is in the line between lax and oak. Most situations would be a lot worse.

Here's the problem: we LOST WORK RULES. And for what? Did we get something in return? HELL NO!

I have to agree with that! We have a huge advantage here. We are able to wait and see what the market can bear before we take too big of a raise. Getting a 2001 Comair style contract does not help if your going down the tubes just a few years later. This drive is really nothing but a big bore. Just a bunch of people telling you what you need instead of letting you think for yourself.

Once again, you flaunt your willingness to ride on the coattails of ALPA (and IBT747) represented pilot groups in their contract negotiations but not willing to do any of the fighting yourself. Why aren't YOU willing to bear some of the burden of lifting the rest of the industry up like ACA, Comair and Air Wisconsin did in 2001?

There are a few people on the line here at AWAC saying we should fly 70s at our 50 seat rate if that would get us growth. Now where in the world would they have ever gotten that idea???

Take a look at ExpressJet. One of the leading ALPA small-jet carriers, their pilots have the highest W2 earnings in the industry, and they have a superb relationship with management.

not according to the 4 friends I have there. I make more and they are all envious of what we have at SkyWest. they better us in some areas, but overall they all agree that we win out. flame all you want, this is just the input I've gotten from people I personally know there.

not according to the 4 friends I have there. I make more and they are all envious of what we have at SkyWest. they better us in some areas, but overall they all agree that we win out. flame all you want, this is just the input I've gotten from people I personally know there.

Your anecdotal observations aren't exactly a scientific analysis. ALPA's Economics & Financial Analysis Department (so well respected in the industry that even airline managements purchase their services to do costing analysis) has done thorough research on this and determine that ExpressJet is #1 by just a slight margin over Comair. I can't remember where Skywest was, but it certainly wasn't in the top two. You earn more than your friends because you've admitted that you fly nearly 1000 hours a year. I doubt they do anything close to that.

Your anecdotal observations aren't exactly a scientific analysis. ALPA's Economics & Financial Analysis Department (so well respected in the industry that even airline managements purchase their services to do costing analysis) has done thorough research on this and determine that ExpressJet is #1 by just a slight margin over Comair. I can't remember where Skywest was, but it certainly wasn't in the top two. You earn more than your friends because you've admitted that you fly nearly 1000 hours a year. I doubt they do anything close to that.

you're right, these are only my conversations with them. they don't pick up as much extra work as I do, but they've all told me that even if they did they wouldn't earn what I do. they say that it is not that easy, and comparing our QOL mine is always regarded as the best. this probably has to do with bases, stability, and future outlook as well as compensation.

Using two carriers that are losing airplanes and flying doesn't entice me to come over to the club. can you imagine an airline that doesn't need ALPA, or do you assert that it is automatic, that you MUST have it? why or why not?

Using two carriers that are losing airplanes and flying doesn't entice me to come over to the club.

ExpressJet hasn't lost anything. They're still flying the same number of planes, and they just got a contract extension that included a big raise and new charter work-rules. That's two big pay raises they've gotten in the amount of time that Skywest was supposed to have given you a higher 70-seat rate.

can you imagine an airline that doesn't need ALPA, or do you assert that it is automatic, that you MUST have it? why or why not?

No one must do anything, but it is certainly preferable and smart. The profession needs be a cohesive group that works together to raise our standard of living. As disparate groups, we'll never get anywhere.

Also, as I've said many times in the past, just because you have it good now doesn't mean that that will continue. All it takes is a swipe of the pin for Jerry to destroy your pay and quality of life. Things can change very quickly for you without protection. Union representation is always the smart move. It would be nice if we lived in a world where that wasn't true, but that's simply not the world we live in, or will ever live in.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back