• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA and SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even if Comair pilots agreed to the concessions demanded by their management they'd still earn more than SKyWest pilots AND have a better retirement plan.

SkyNate you have to admit that when the management of a bankrupt carrier is willing to pay better than what you're getting you're not getting what you should.

you're right, these are only my conversations with them. they don't pick up as much extra work as I do, but they've all told me that even if they did they wouldn't earn what I do.?

I don't know SkyWest's work rules, but you ExpressJet buddies can get paid 150% pay on 3.75 hours for a 1:05 BPT turn. If they wanted. (Thats $190 for maybe 2 hours of work for a 2nd year FO.)

they say that it is not that easy, and comparing our QOL mine is always regarded as the best. this probably has to do with bases, stability, and future outlook as well as compensation.

I don't live in base, so I don't don't pick up much of anything maybe a red-eye here or here but if your buddies do it's extreemley easy. We have a commuter policy, that helps out QOL, we bid on lines we don't use PBS. 90% of the IAH lines are commutable, our vacation is great, most people (myself included) don't have to bid trips we want or commutable trips; we trade everything in line improvent cycles with 500 open trips a month so we can litterally write our own schedules. SkyWest's bases trump our current bases but soon we will have at least one of the same, and better bases in general. Plus we have an east coast option. As far as stability and future outlook go, no one can tell how that stuff will work out EVER. In regards to compensation, I'll believe the published information - no offense to you or your buddies but it looks like you're only .3% above industry average and 6.2% below the max for 50 seat pay... On the 70 seater you 5.8% below the avearage and 18.3% below the max.

Using two carriers that are losing airplanes and flying doesn't entice me to come over to the club. can you imagine an airline that doesn't need ALPA, or do you assert that it is automatic, that you MUST have it? why or why not?

Maybe if you "came to the club" those two carriers wouldn't be losing airplanes and flying... I can imagine an airline that doesn't need ALPA, but I think for the sake of the profession any airline in competition with so many others needs ALPA so that together as a network of pilots we can all stregethen our contracts as a whole. You know as well as I do that the minnute somone works for less than someone else jobs are shifting. Look at ASA and Comair, if SKYW had an enforceable contract comparable to those would Delta be diverting flying to SKYW? I don't know, but I tend to think not. Plus, I think you will enjoy ALPA - someone to call the get things fixed any hour of the day or night in less thatn 15 minnutes - even if it was just an honest pay or scheduling mistake.... That's nice.

Last edited:
ExpressJet hasn't lost anything. They're still flying the same number of planes, and they just got a contract extension that included a big raise and new charter work-rules. That's two big pay raises they've gotten in the amount of time that Skywest was supposed to have given you a higher 70-seat rate.

my bad. I thought they lost 69 airplanes worth of flying. they're better than us, you win. I still wouldn't trade what we have.

No one must do anything, but it is certainly preferable and smart. The profession needs be a cohesive group that works together to raise our standard of living. As disparate groups, we'll never get anywhere.

it is my opinion that it is a fantasy to think that you can strong arm managements into getting your way and that if we all did we'd somehow get huge raises, work less for more, and on and on. it just doesn't exist.

Also, as I've said many times in the past, just because you have it good now doesn't mean that that will continue. All it takes is a swipe of the pin for Jerry to destroy your pay and quality of life. Things can change very quickly for you without protection. Union representation is always the smart move. It would be nice if we lived in a world where that wasn't true, but that's simply not the world we live in, or will ever live in.

this always seems to be the remark made after people realize that we, in fact, do have things pretty good at SkyWest-"well, you might have it good now, but the bogeyman will come get you soon." to that I say two things: 35 years and counting, and having the 'protection' of ALPA has produced certain results at other regionals. one can decide for themselves how worthwhile those results have been.

I appreciate your well thought out responses, and I respect your opinions. too bad so many others on here reinforce the stereotypes of union thuggery.

ERJFO,

sounds like you are happy at XJT. Best to you, I am happy at SkyWest. I think it is silly to argue who has it better. I think, based on what you've said, that we both have it pretty good, comparatively speaking. I, for one, don't believe we'd do any better via ALPA, but I can see us doing worse.

thanks for the well thought out response.

this always seems to be the remark made after people realize that we, in fact, do have things pretty good at SkyWest-"well, you might have it good now, but the bogeyman will come get you soon." to that I say two things: 35 years and counting, and having the 'protection' of ALPA has produced certain results at other regionals. one can decide for themselves how worthwhile those results have been.

I appreciate your well thought out responses, and I respect your opinions. too bad so many others on here reinforce the stereotypes of union thuggery.

Union thuggery made possible by the IBT, NYC transit workers, PATCO and APA.

Not ALPA.

ALPA is a respected safety organization and above board political operative on Captial Hill. ALPA is a player and a partner. Fact is even the non ALPA carriers such as SWAPA, APA, NPA and IPA have formed coalitions to address issues on Captial Hill. They do so thru CAPA-PAC which is just like ALPA-PAC.

How do the Skywest Pilots address issues on CapHill?

35 years ago was 35 years ago. Let's look to the future: Cabatoge, Multi Crew licensing, globalization, foreign ownership, liberalization, Code Share, Aliances, and on and on...

The Skywest pilots will be effected by these forces. How will they address them?

If ALPA is so bad why do most pilots group choose ALPA and why is ALPA not being de-certified.....

FedEx and CAL came back to ALPA. How 'bout those FedEx apples? (TA)

ERJFO,

sounds like you are happy at XJT. Best to you, I am happy at SkyWest. I think it is silly to argue who has it better. I think, based on what you've said, that we both have it pretty good, comparatively speaking. I, for one, don't believe we'd do any better via ALPA, but I can see us doing worse.

SN-

Please do a search on this message board for unionfacts.org and consider removing it from your signature.

ERJFO,

SkyNation,

You're welcome... I"m glad you're happy at SkyWest. I don't wish to argue we both have it good. I don't know if you'd do any better via ALPA or not. But I think if SkyWest had ALPA others would benifit.

If you Skywest guys think alpa REALLY helps, look at ASA! Tell everyone how are they helping?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back