ALPA Age 60 Survey

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
N2264J said:
But in every instance you mentioned, age is not the only criterion for the decision. ... The Age 60 rule has only one arbitrary threshold to meet.

There's no difference. Both criteria are based soley on age, not the individual's actual cognative abilities. The recent research on brain development actually shows that age 16 or 17 is too early for driving as the part of the brain which foresees the posibility of negative outcomes is severely underdeveloped at that point. Those brain functions are not fully matured until around age 25. Driver's accident rates support those findings and resulted in most car rental companies establishing a minimum age of 25 for renters.

But we do. Cognative ability is checked on the semi annual proficiency ride/LOFT/line check. Medicals, also twice a year.

There is no such check on pro-checks, loft or in the FAA required medicals.

As an example, take the crash last November of the Gulfstream attempting to land at Houston. What would have happened to a crew who crashed in such a fashion on their pro-check or LOFT? They would have received some additional training and would be right back on the line unless they were so far gone that they crashed repeatedly.

There simply is no quantitative measure that a check airman can use to evaluate the cognative ability of a crewmember.

767pilot said:
N2264J said:
To fire someone who wants to work base on their age alone is discrimination.

You'd better have a talk with the EEOC and the courts then. They decided that there are times when age based qualifications are appropriate and not considered discriminitory. The part 121 airline proffession was considered to be one of those careers where a limit was quite legal

Slavery was legal in this country until the mid 1860s. What's your point?

Be careful for what you wish for old guys, you might just get it. If they do change this (which they won't because there is no enhancement to safety), I guarantee it won't be without a cost. That would be in the form of MUCH, much stricter medical standards if they are going to justify changing the age limit. I just hope those higher standards will be applied to ALL pilots, not just the over 60 group. We wouldn't want to discriminate, would we?

Purpledog said:
That would be in the form of MUCH, much stricter medical standards if they are going to justify changing the age limit. I just hope those higher standards will be applied to ALL pilots, not just the over 60 group. We wouldn't want to discriminate, would we?
Sounds good to me.

N2264J said:
Slavery was legal in this country until the mid 1860s. What's your point?

And if it was 1865 I would be worried about who was going to harvest my plantation, but it is not. Age 60 is not legal discrimination.

LJ-ABX said:
N2264J said:
But we do. Cognative ability is checked on the semi annual proficiency ride/LOFT/line check. Medicals, also twice a year.

There is no such check on pro-checks, loft or in the FAA required medicals.

Are you saying the annual proficiency ride is not a check of cognative ability? Let me help you out with that:

cog ni tion (kog nish' en) n 1. the act or process of knowing; perception. 2. something known or perceived.
3. knowledge cog ni tive (kog' ni tiv) adj.

Last edited:
N2264J said:
Are you saying the annual proficiency ride is not a check of cognative ability?

The problems that we develop with age are generally associated with our ability to maintain situational awareness and work through any areas of confusion that arrise.

Flying a well known pro-check profile that you have been flying for twenty or thirty years is not particularly challenging to your cognative ability. You know the pitch/power settings that the simulator wants and you know the manuevers that are required. If you do get confused, or lose situational awareness, you get a little retraining and try again. The chances that you'll make the same mistake again are quite low.

Think of an elderly driver. The problem isn't that they can't control the car. The problem is that they stop in the middle of the road while they try to decide which way to go, they drive where they should not drive, etc. They get confused too easily.

LJ-ABX said:
Think of an elderly driver. The problem isn't that they can't control the car. The problem is that they stop in the middle of the road while they try to decide which way to go, they drive where they should not drive, etc. They get confused too easily.

Why just the other day I followed one of our planes across the Atlantic where the pilot had left the right turn signal on for the whole flight!

Obviously, you're joking but I once saw an older pilot complete his cockpit setup leaving the DC Start Pump, Mach Trim, Yaw Damper and Anti-Skid switches all in the wrong position!

OK, then why is it OK for BOTH judges and senators to work well into their EIGHTIES and influence people's lives, sometimes in a big way?
The age 60 rule was, when it came out, purely political. That's fact. If we don't change with the times we and everthing around us stagnates. No wonder the US is being denigrated around the world right now with our antiquated "laws". Only in America as they say! Many countries around the world have moved on and realized it's no longer appropriate. In this respect, America is left standing in the Middle Ages, not as a leader. I know, because I have worked extensively overseas. Incidently, they fly the SAME planes we do, have a level of experience/expertise that we do - if not more - and go through a much more rigorous initial training than us FAA rated guys. I don't see their planes falling out of the skies the past few years because there is an old fogey at the controls!!
There is absolutely NO rational reason why pilots should have to retire solely because of age, especially if they continue to pass their physicals and PCs. After all, we are a very select bunch. How many lawyers, doctors & surgeons do you know that are currently mandated to have 6-monthly PCs and medicals where upon their careers theoretically hang? They usually only get scrutinized if there is a malpractice suit, not as a matter of routine.
Also, how can you answer the deal whereby you HAVE to retire because of age but you not prohibited from drawing social security until age 62? Same lawmakers. Nice, very nice.
The beauty of all this is that in a democratic country (last time I checked, it still was) people are given the freedom to choose. Let that freedom be exercised and let the individual choose to retire earlier than average joe or not. Too much govt. interference is bad for everyone - they should be examining their own back yard, so to speak!

Latest resources

Back