ALPA Age 60 Survey

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TurboS7 said:
I have put up with 30 years of crap just to get where I am now. You young guys have had it made and have no idea how tough it can be. I remember a friend of mine with UAL spent 12 years in the back seat and still was on reserve. Finally in 85 thngs started to move. Would I vote to stay in the airplane as long as possible, you bet, all of us have earned it.

This "kid" is very wet behind the ears, say Niagara Fall wet.

I've yet to hear much more than greed-driven, financially-based answers to this question yet, regardless of the side you take.
Nobody has told me what magical metamorphosis takes place upon one's 60th birthday which makes one unable to fly an airplane. The bottom line is that placing a mandatory retirement age on a person is baseless discrimination. If you can hold a medical, you should be able to fly.
Our efforts should be put more strenuously into establishing better medical screening to weed out the 40 and 50-somethings that aren't fit to fly and allowing the 60-somethings who are capable to do what they want to do.
Those screaming "greedy bastards" the loudest smell like greedy bastards to me. I'm a long way from 60, but the idea of knowing that one day I'll be there, and that some 40 year-old walking sebaceous gland is going to tell me that I have to quit flying because I crossed an imaginary line makes me want to vomit.

Oh, im not young.. Im one of the older career switchers.

I thought the same as you. I thought I had it all. Retire at 60, live off of my funds. Ive contributed heavily for 20 years to a 401 plan, and was on my way to "millions" and then along comes some family health problems, a divorce, a sick child and then a job layoff. Hmmm,..

NONE left....

Anyone who wants to cut their earnings short when they possibly have a chance to change it, is an idiot. No one said everyone HAS to wait until 65. If youre well off enough by 60, then retire then if you want. But give ME the choice.

Youre in a dream world...

In Dec 2000, a part 121 Captain retired at the age of 69. He was grandfathered under the conversion of Part 135-scheduled commuter to 121 in 1999. That is nine years beyond the present age 60 retirement. The FAA blessed it. The age 60 is political, and has nothing to do with a person's abilities after age 60.

TurboS7 said:
I have put up with 30 years of crap just to get where I am now. You young guys have had it made and have no idea how tough it can be. I remember a friend of mine with UAL spent 12 years in the back seat and still was on reserve. Finally in 85 thngs started to move. Would I vote to stay in the airplane as long as possible, you bet, all of us have earned it.

How long would your friend have been on reserve without the age 60 rule driving upward movement? You can't have it both ways.

Just because you gambled on a pension that was only GUARANTEED to 26K a year why should I now have to work extra years because you want to stay to make up for your lost gamble.

You will say I can still go at 60 or earlier but the delayed upgrade from your greed to stay will result in less earnings for me.

Yes, I agree it is age descrimination. So allow 121 pilots to fly after age 60.
In the right seat. That makes it fair for both sides of the issue.

Don't give me that "I put in my time" and "times were tough, you young guys have it easy" crap. I can't control when I was born and neither can you. That's the only reason you're in the left seat, your date of hire and the guys that left at age 60 ahead of you.

I ABSOLUTELY voted for 65. Think of your future. Do you actually think you will be financially ABLE to retire when you reach 60?
If you're younger and in this business, you're on crack if you dont vote yes.
Yes I will be able to retire. Wake up, most people fund their own retirments thru 401Ks and IRAs! Get off your cheap ass and hire a pro when you are young. Relying on the company to take care of your golden years is absurd. Additionaly because the age 60 increase will not pass, I will upgrade to Capt that much quicker and further advance my own portfolio. If my company still hass an A/B plan when I retire, that will be gravy. It's called self empowerment you young guys scared of what might happen twenty years down the road. In 20 years you can always go back and try to backstab the younger pilots at your company like these greedy elders are doing.

Purpledog said:
In 20 years you can always go back and try to backstab the younger pilots at your company like these greedy elders are doing.

no one is backstabing anyone. everyone's situation is different and it is not a matter of greed. and it will change, if not now, sooner or later. things change. gotta learn to adapt. :)

Purpledog said:
because the age 60 increase will not pass, I will upgrade to Capt that much quicker and further advance my own portfolio.
No greed behind that statement, now is there?:rolleyes:

dbrownie said:
I think it smacks of greed from the all "about me crowd."
My retirement IS "about me." I'm not in this business to make all the younger pilots happy.

And why are the "yes" votes selfish, but not the "no" votes? Any vote is just looking out for one's self. Why the hell should I vote away future potential income for someone else's benefit?

FL000 said:
My retirement IS "about me." I'm not in this business to make all the younger pilots happy.

And why are the "yes" votes selfish, but not the "no" votes? Any vote is just looking out for one's self. Why the hell should I vote away future potential income for someone else's benefit?

Finally an honest reply.

My "NO" vote is about my future potential income as well.

I'm sorry you gambled on the pension being there when you retire or whatever it is that causes your retirement funds to be insufficent now but I'm not going to pay for it. The government is allready making me subsidize your social security by moving my retirement age to 67, why should I give up earnings and retirment $$ so you can make up for your retirment shortfall? Are you willing to give back the extra money you made because of the age 60 rule?

Again, you can stay but get outta my seat. Make up your retirment funds as an FO or go fly a biz jet.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back