• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aloha/Hawaiian info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone also care to post HAL and Aloha work days/month and retirement benefits, profit sharing, 401k, etc? Thanks in advance.

Just had a buddy who interviewed with Aloha this week. Haven't heard the results or numbers, but still, encouraging that the interviews are happening!

Jimbo

HAL vs ALO

Wondering if anyone has any input on which airline is the better. I don't see anyone from ALO posting here. I have a couple of friends from each and i'm not sure who seems to have the better deal! You HAL guys-

What is your schedule like? How many hrs a month are ya flying?
What kind of financial shape are you in?
Did that $50M loss for the first half of the year slow hiring?
What is your relationship with the ALO guys?

ALO guys-

What is your schedule like? hrs/month?
Are you guys privately held? If so, what is your financial condition?
I understand you are still hiring as many as you can, how long is this going to continue?
What is your relationship with the HAL gusy?

Thanks for the info in advance. You both look like good companies. My buds seem to enjoy both. Seems like equipment and domiciles go to HAL but pay and bennies go to ALO. Curious to see what else comes up!

ISEA

Jim, if everything you wrote below is true, then what are all these rumors about furloughs at Hawaiian again? I have many friends at HA & AQ and all I hear is the expansion is over at HA or at least on hold indefinately. Meanwhile AQ is running classes non-stop for the forseeable future. What's really going on over there? HA is my first choice but I am about to go to AQ instead, I am tired of waiting. I am not the only one.

Jim said:
To elaborate on HAL's previous post. I've gotten the following from the Chief Pilot and various union leaders...

As HAL said, the only announced expansion is the PHX service to starting in Oct. Further, we have trimmed some fat off our schedule starting in Sept by changing some flights from daily to 3x, 4x or 5x weekly.

That being said, there are currently signs all over the tourist areas in HNL and at the shopping malls that show a map with a bunch of red dots labeled with our current destinations. The caption says "Seeing spots? You'll soon see more." There are rumors that we will announce at least 5 new destinations in the mid and eastern US for spring 2003. My union rep actually named the cities for me and said we would have to hire in early 2003 if we wanted to start service in late spring/early summer.

Management is currently looking at acquiring 757s to augment the ordered 767s. The union has been asked to negotiate 757 rates, but we have other issues to resolve first. Hawaiian looked at National closely, but did not make an offer as their 757s are not ETOPS and it would cost too much to modify them (this National bit was from our majority stockholder, John Adams.)

The CP told me he doesn't expect any hiring until after the first of the year. He also said there are 19 pilots in our hiring pool and the hiring committee is working on making a "to be interviewed list".

Aloha is trying to expand it's international market. To stay competative and keep market share, Hawaiian has to match this expansion.

Bottomline from my short tenure here after furlough...the future is looking good. I expect more growth/hiring next year.

Jim said:
What can I say, things change quickly......and being 5 from the bottom of the senority list, I am definitely keeping track of things.

A month ago, the former Assistant Chief Pilot who still heads up interviewing showed me a list of 25 names to be interviewed (my friend was on it). He expected to be interviewing by to first of the year.

A week ago, John Adams (the CEO / majority stockholder) said "furloughs are going to happen". It was at a company wide meeting and it's not for sure that he meant pilots or company-wide. It kind of depends on what happens with our routes/expansion.

It seems to me the Chief Pilot's office and Adams office are frustratingly not on the same page when it comes to pilot staffing at HAL. Q; Do any of those 25 people on the list have a way of finding out if they are on that list??

Jim said:
Not really, I was quite surprised when he showed it to me. I've seen him since and he said the whole process was put on hold shortly after he showed it to me.

Why doesnt that surprise me? Well I am very interested to see how the PHX run works out for HA. This has the potential to turn everything around for Pualani. Its the first time low-cost discount airfares have been available through a big mainland hub in a long time. HP lost so much money with their 747 HNL service it was called the non-rev express. I really think this partnership could work out for both HA & HP. I sure hope it does.

Hawaiian Furlough

Twice today I heard Hawaiian is letting go of 80-85 pilots. Anybody else know what the deal is?

I dont have any idea what the deal is, but yesterday I heard the same - that Hawaiian is gonna furlough 85 pilots.:eek:

If it happens, I hope it doesnt roll back to Island Air.

Latest resources

Back