• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aloha/Hawaiian info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We (Hawaiian) won't be hiring until at least next year. We don't have any definite expansion plans past the HNL - PHX service to start in October, although there are lot of rumors about east coast service starting next year. If that is true we will need more people.

Aloha has hired a couple classes in the last few months, although they've been very quiet about it. They are trying to expand also, using their 737-700's to smaller cities on the west coast.

HAL

Thanks guys for the info.
The reason I'm interested is because I'm in the pool at Island Air. They are one of the few airlines that will hire furloughed pilots without asking to resign seniority. They told me they might have a class in Oct but it depends on how many pilots leave. Since most of their pilots go to HA or Aloha I was hoping there was some hiring going on.

Hawaiian Hiring Info

HAL/Jim,

Interesting post re HAL.
I am very interested in yr airline & have been following events the past 6 mnths.
A couple of questions:
1. What exactly is the pilot application process @ HAL?
2. Do you send a resume to the PO Box # attn: People Services Grp. ?
3. Would you recommend a copy/cover letter to either the CP or yr new VP Flt. Ops., Robert Glasgow?
4. I hear that internal recommendations give candidates a big advantage. Is this true? If so, what's the best (least obtrusive) way in getting one? I believe you may have a Dan Jones working for you who used to work for my current employer. Also, earlier this year I jumpsat back on UAL from Europe w/one of yr female 767 FOs. I cannot remember her name as she did not give me a business card but she did tell me she was returning from visiting relatives in Scandinavia, had previously worked as a J31 pilot in the D.C. area and was based in LAX on the 767-300ER. Either of these folks ring a bell with you?
5. Besides HNL, are there any other pilot bases/domiciles on the west coast?
6. Do either of you guys ever get to layover in LAS by any chance?

In case you are wondering, I am current on the 757 with the dual 757/767 type on my ATP, 7000+ total time including 2000+ on the 757. I also have some international/overwater experience. Looking @ both yr profiles, I have very similar past experiences in qualifications & types flown.
I may be out on the street in the near future, so any info on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Alex

I have been sending HAL resumes for about six months. This last time I received a postcard saying they'll keep it on file.

As for recommendations, most people take these pretty seriously; IOW if you don't have a good friend there who you are presumably already in regular contact with then it seems to me you may not really have a legit. contact. Hopefully if they start hiring they will not restrict themselves only to those with "silver bullets".

b757driver;
1) The application process is by resume only. Any letters of recc are attached and the decision to interview is made from that.

2) The resume should be sent to our Chief Pilot, Mike Dudley.

3) Probably not - everything should be routed through the CP

4) Don't know Mr. Jones, but the lady 767 FO is a very good friend of mine. However for a letter of recc, we'd really have to know someone pretty well, including their flying abilities to send a recc along with a resume.

5) Our bases are HNL (717, DC-10, 767), LAX (DC-10, 767), SFO (767) and SEA (767).

6) A lot of crews (mostly HNL based) lay over in LAS. If you're based in LAX, it's not often, and from SFO and SEA usually never.

I know a lot of people feel that needing a letter of reccomendation is not fair, but we are a small airline that is innundated with resumes. There has to be some way of sorting through the otherwise qualified applicants, and that is the way the current management has chosen. It's probably no more or less fair than the way other airlines choose their interviewees. At Hawaiian it's a lot like a small family, and since we all spend so much time together, we feel it may be best to 'pick' our family from people we may already feel comfortable with. We still have very high standards for flying ability and experience, but like I said, it's just another way to weed through a mile high stack of resumes.

HAL

I just think it's a bit of frustration they're venting, because they may want very much to fly for an airline like Hawaiian (and who can blame them :) ). But since we're such a relatively small airline, it's tough to actually know someone well enough to get your foot in the door. You may feel your are very well qualified, but getting that letter of recommendation can be frustratingly difficult.

HAL

I agree every company has a right to choose their own criteria in sifting through the resumes. My problem with basing this only on LOR's is that there is really nothing a person can do to make themselves a better candidate - either your buddy got hired at a particular airline and you've got an "in", or else all your friends happened to het hired by Northwest or American and right now you're out of luck. As HAL correctly points out, just going out and "meeting" pilots from HAL or Alaska or whatever company you want to work for, is really not good enough. A legitimate "silver bullet" is not someone you had on the jumpseat or ran into on the crew bus. And there lies the frustration; I can go out and get a type rating or more PIC time or whatever; but I can't do anything about the airlines my friends got hired by. That, I feel, is the unfortunate thing about the LOR system.

HAL/Jim,

Thank you both for yr replies.

Jim - you guessed correctly, it is National. Looks like we have gotten a reprieve for the time being anyway. But $30M will not last long & in addition, we took a hit of 15% pay cut for 38 months on top of our wage freeze. Morale, as you can imagine, is rock bottom right now.
Re LORs, I can relate as we, too are a "small family" company (smaller than you). Just thought that with planned expansion next year someone w/7000+ hrs, 757/767 types & international experience as well, would have a REASONABLE shot @ an interview.
As for majors, I'm not interested - I prefer the smaller companies & am interested in HAL for a variety of reasons.
I guess all I can do is to go for it & hope not knowing someone @ HAL won't hold me back.
On another note, I came across a site with gouges on interview/sim profiles for all the majors incl. HAL but can't recall where it is. Any ideas?
Many thanks, once again.

The Willflyforfood site has a couple reports on our interview process. I don't know if (or how much) the process will change next time around, but I'd bet it'll be mostly the same.

The site is at:

http://www.megaone.com/willfly4food

Scroll down the the "H" section and there we are.

Good luck now at N7, and if worse comes to worse, hope to see you on the line here at Hawaiian.

HAL

Latest resources

Back