Aloha/Hawaiian info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rollback

What I was told by Phyllis last year was the only reason some furloughed AQ pilots were allowed back to Island Air was they were on previously approved LOA's from Island while going through AQ's training.

The most junior pilot at Hawaiian has been there over 14 months. I dont think its possible unless they went to the bottom of Island Air's list as a new hire again. They are an ALPA carrier with a contract they're supposed to follow.

I'm not sure where you've heard this rumor, because we haven't heard anything on the property about it. And as Jim and I have said before in this thread, management just finished a new vacancy bid effective for February, and I don't think they'd have done if if furloughs were in the mix. It just seems like a wild rumor started by someone not happy with HA. (AQ pilot maybe?)

That's not to say they may not come in the future because of the reduction in interisland flying that comes with the agreement with Aloha. But to have a hard-and-fast number like 85 right now seems pretty unlikely.

HAL

jumpseat,

Thanks for the rollback info. I feel a little better. I'll feel much better when IA has a class and I'm in it.
Are you at IA now?

HAL,

Last week I "heard" from a couple sources (friend of a friend type deals) that there could be furloughs in the near future. Then yesterday I "heard" the 85 number. I was definitely surprised (and bummed for youz guyz) to hear that high of a specific number. I hope for everyone there that this is not true at all and that it never happens. Hopefully it's just a wild rumor.

Do you think that antitrust interisland deal will kick up ops at IA?
Just curious what your opinion is. :)

My friend's neighbor flys for HA, that is were I heard the furlough rumor. I assume he heard it going around at flight ops. Hope it doesn't haqppen.

I have another friend at Island. He said the only pilots Island took back from HA were becuase they were check pilots at Island.

jenga said:
jumpseat,

Thanks for the rollback info. I feel a little better. I'll feel much better when IA has a class and I'm in it.
Are you at IA now?

Do you think that antitrust interisland deal will kick up ops at IA?
Just curious what your opinion is. :)

No I almost went to Island after suffering a severe case of homesickness but opted to stick it out at a mainland 121 commuter airline. I didn't want to be at the bottom of some "Island Air Pilot" hiring list (if one exists). I know I will get in at AQ or HA quicker by staying away from Island. I get all kinds of weather and its more like a real airline and I fly a jet. I have reasonable seniority and even though I work on the mainland I have more time off IN HAWAII than ever before. I make the commute back and forth over the water 2 or 3x's a month.

Aloha has strict scope regarding Island Air. I dont expect to see a big boom there beyond their 4 DHC-8's without large gains in other areas for mainline AQ pilots. Do you know what scope is? Hopefully for all of us it is a word that will never become too common in Hawaii.

HAL said:
I'm not sure where you've heard this rumor, because we haven't heard anything on the property about it. And as Jim and I have said before in this thread, management just finished a new vacancy bid effective for February, and I don't think they'd have done if if furloughs were in the mix. It just seems like a wild rumor started by someone not happy with HA. (AQ pilot maybe?)

That's not to say they may not come in the future because of the reduction in interisland flying that comes with the agreement with Aloha. But to have a hard-and-fast number like 85 right now seems pretty unlikely.

HAL

I just did a three day trip and jumped on HA both ways out of LAX and both crews had heard the "furlough rumor" but neither had heard the 85 number.

I am always amazed how rumors start. I heard the 85 number from three different, un-related people on the same day. Glad to realize its just wildfire and nothing more.

Got Jumpseat, I'd like to add a couple of things regarding Island Air.

Aloha scope has Island Air restricted from flying nonstop between the 5 major airports (HNL, OGG, KOA, ITO, LIH). However, we are free to make a stop at any secondary airport and continue. This was the case after 9/11 when we were flying OGG-ITO and OGG-KOA via either LNY or MKK. When Aloha took back direct flights, we pulled back. IMHO, Island Air's problem is marketing, but that's another issue altogether.

Before you knock Island Air, consider a few things:

- Most people who come here with any kind of flight time will upgrade within 1 year. I came here with 1500TT, spent a year in the right seat, and upgraded to captain. Mind you, this was while most other airlines including most regionals were furloughing. I don't know what the upgrade times are back in the mainland, but I can almost guarantee you that they aren't anywhere near as fast as ours.

- Getting to Aloha from mainland commuter than via Island Air? Well, I dunno... we had brand new captains with as little as 2 weeks online as captains go to Aloha. The exodus continues... Bear in mind that any kind of movement within our ranks is significant because it makes your relative seniority higher enabling you to upgrade quicker or get a line quicker. Compare that with the current attrition at any mainland regional. Granted of course, mainland regionals are expanding while their mainline partners are shrinking.

- Guys with your time who are still flying their consolidation hours as FO's are being upgraded to captains here having spent only like 4 months with the company.

For those of you in the pool, hang in there... we'll have to have another class pretty soon.

Last edited:
I was trying not to knock Island Air, I said the circumstances after 911 would have been favorable if I HAD gone to Island. Did you get that from my last post? How long have you been at Island Air anyway? The quick upgrade time has not always been the case. Wasn't it not too long ago you could have been an FO in the twatter for 4 years before any movement at all out there??

When all you got is 4 airplanes and 45 pilots there is always the chance things happen rather quickly. I like Island, I am just saying it is not always the best choice. There are much quicker upgrade times out there besides Island Air. Air Midwest, a US Air Express and America West Express Beech 1900 operation (which I might add had a few ex-Island guys at) has had 2 or 3 month upgrade times then their pilots get 80-100 hrs a month. How much time do your pilots get per month? What happens when these 5000+ hr furloughed guys Island is now hiring upgrade at Island Air and have no place to go besides backwards? Do you really think Aloha mainline or Hawaiian will touch a furloughed United or American pilot?

Freight Dog said:
Got Jumpseat, I'd like to add a couple of things regarding Island Air.

Aloha scope has Island Air restricted from flying nonstop between the 5 major airports (HNL, OGG, KOA, ITO, LIH). However, we are free to make a stop at any secondary airport and continue. This was the case after 9/11 when we were flying OGG-ITO and OGG-KOA via either LNY or MKK. When Aloha took back direct flights, we pulled back. IMHO, Island Air's problem is marketing, but that's another issue altogether.

Before you knock Island Air, consider a few things:

- Most people who come here with any kind of flight time will upgrade within 1 year. I came here with 1500TT, spent a year in the right seat, and upgraded to captain. Mind you, this was while most other airlines including most regionals were furloughing. I don't know what the upgrade times are back in the mainland, but I can almost guarantee you that they aren't anywhere near as fast as ours.

- Getting to Aloha from mainland commuter than via Island Air? Well, I dunno... we had brand new captains with as little as 2 weeks online as captains go to Aloha. The exodus continues... Bear in mind that any kind of movement within our ranks is significant because it makes your relative seniority higher enabling you to upgrade quicker or get a line quicker. Compare that with the current attrition at any mainland regional. Granted of course, mainland regionals are expanding while their mainline partners are shrinking.

- Guys with your time who are still flying their consolidation hours as FO's are being upgraded to captains here having spent only like 4 months with the company.

Well if they had told me that I would be a DHC-8 CA right now. Last year they were not sure if the sun would rise the next day and I told them PASS. I played my cards, I still dont have a bad hand as it is, I will wait it out here for AQ or HA.

I agree with you that there were times that it took 4 years to move anywhere. But then again, it was no different than any other place, there was no hiring anywhere, so people stayed where they were. When the big hiring started, things started to move. Before I got here, Hawaiian was cleaning up the house, now Aloha is cleaning up the house. I got here at the tail end of Hawaiian's hiring, but I am here during Aloha's hiring, and I just call it like I see it. Most people who left so far had right around 2000 hours TOTAL time give or take a few hundred. We had people with as low as 1600 hours go to Aloha.

As for Mesa and its subsidiaries, sure, before 9/11, they were kicking around a near-instant upgrade in B1900. But a lot of those guys were furloughed after 9/11. We have one FO here who was furloughed from Mesa who was offered a recall and declined it because the upgrade here will be sooner.

I would guess it all depends on what you want and where you want to be... For me, Island Air was the best choice possible. I live where I wanted to live, I upgraded to captain in a very short time, and I'm living the dream....

Man, I don't even care how much the pay ends up being. As long as I'm flying, I can't wait to get back home and make a living. It looks like it's going to be a really long time now though. I know 2 HAL pilots with over 6000 hours furloughed. And the high timers getting on with Island Air Doesn't help us scrubs... It's all timing. I was thinking more along the lines of jumpseat and getting more hours in a mainland commuter outfit because the legs are longer, plus the experience with weather and stuff keeps things interesting, but I'm not saying I would let a chance at Island Air go by either. Beggers can't be choosers. I swear, sometimes I read the posts and get all stoked, and sometimes, well... a lot lately, I don't. At least there's some surf where I'm at now, like once a month.
Aloha all.
list

Latest resources

Back