Aloha ʻino Mesa! Shame On You!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Uhm... Mesa sucks?

If the rumor is true - I can't believe that they're going to try to fly out here non-union. Yeah, of course the company thinks it'll save money...but sheesh. Talk about problems.

Der Kommissar said:
Uhm... Mesa sucks?

If the rumor is true - I can't believe that they're going to try to fly out here non-union. Yeah, of course the company thinks it'll save money...but sheesh. Talk about problems.

I have said all along Mesa is after the AQ 737 certificate in order to use our airplanes to bring down whats left of the entire industry. The Mesa CEO wants to bust ALPA national.

Any Mesa guys want to call "BS" on that one?

I may not have the correct understanding of this, but isn't the ETOPS certificate kinda aircraft specific? Or is it that once they theoretically grab AQs cert they can fly 737s ETOPS anywhere they want?

I'm not saying it's not a really crappy thing to do, but how would it bring down the industry? I must be missing something.

I think he's implying that JO getting 73's would allow him to operate them with a non-union group, flying for mcdonald's wages, (which a ton of little fukker's would be willing to do in a heartbeat) which would cause a knee-jerk reaction by the rest of the industry to lower cost's in order to compete.

Der Kommissar said:
I may not have the correct understanding of this, but isn't the ETOPS certificate kinda aircraft specific? Or is it that once they theoretically grab AQs cert they can fly 737s ETOPS anywhere they want?

I'm not saying it's not a really crappy thing to do, but how would it bring down the industry? I must be missing something.
I'm not an expert on ETOPS certification, I am not sure if JO even wants the ETOPS flying, I doubt he could maintain the certification even if he tried. You cant just MEL certain stuff and launch (the mesa way) out over the Pacific. Our inter-island fleet is not ETOPS. Its all short haul 737 stuff.

Anyway, Mesa wants 737's... thats no secret. In a speech to his MEC last week he demanded 737 pay rates they "could live with" immediately!

What he plans on dong with them I can only imagine. JO probably thinks he can profit off the 1113c craze. Say he got a dozen 737's and the pilots are flying them at 90 seat RJ pay (his last offer to his MEC) he might be able to BS his way into getting a BK judge to award him flying away from much higher paid ALPA pilots. (Maybe even higher paid ALPA pilots that are on strike -- check the recent Delta threads) Thats pure speculation on my part but I bet dimes to dollars i'm not too far off the mark!

I agree he is nuts to think he can get away with it but he could end up getting court sanctioned into some narrow body flying. I have read recent speeches of his and I tell you..... he thinks he can do it. He would make a KILLING unlike any before if he pulled it off too.

Last edited:
mdanno808 said:
I think he's implying that JO getting 73's would allow him to operate them with a non-union group, flying for mcdonald's wages, (which a ton of little fukker's would be willing to do in a heartbeat) which would cause a knee-jerk reaction by the rest of the industry to lower cost's in order to compete.

Mesa rumors last year had a pair or three 737-200's hidden out in Grand Junction or Montrose CO last year. IF TRUE, how much you want to bet that JO's loyal crew that helped him launch Desert Sun and Freedom are already typed and checked out as instructors in the 737?

Now thats a conspiracy theory!

I don't think any of us here at Mesa know what JO has up his sleeves on this whole Hawaii thing. Personally, I hope he gets his ass handed to him...even if it's at our own expense. If he tries to pull off another Freedom (and who doubts he will?) I would really, really hope that there's enough new blood in this group to simply walk away. I know I would.

As is oftentimes said, JO is a cancer...he won't stop unless something stops him/it. All the aviation trade press continues to glorify him for being such a great businessman, pulling off all the deals (at others expense, of course) and further inflating his ego. He needs to fall flat on his face. And fall HARD!

Islandhopper, I hope you're wrong about the 737's, but I have a feeling you may be on to something. I just really hope JO never gets his hands on one...

Earl Williams said:
Islandhopper, I hope you're wrong about the 737's, but I have a feeling you may be on to something. I just really hope JO never gets his hands on one...

I hope I am wrong too but being directly involved at Aloha as part of a "Mesa workgroup" I can only tell you this... what I say I am sure of, I am sure of. If I am speculating, I mention that as well.

Heres a quick summary to bring any new visitors up to speed.

[FONT=&quot]. JO was bragging to his employees for two weeks before the Yucaipa announcement that “He already owned Aloha” and an announcement was pending. Ask any mesa employee that went to the PHX sun & fun picnic this year!

. JO has demanded 737 pay rates from his pilots for at least a year and a half. They only ask for a written offer. The Mesa MEC would gladly accept 737's on the property if paid enough to fly them.
[/FONT] http://www.thestreet.com/_tscana/markets/ericgillin/10161930.html
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04146/321454.stm

. Mesa has been known in the past to try and bluff their way into somebody elses flying, often somebody else with LABOR issues! if you dont see the parallel here I cant help you.
http://www.mesa-air.com/article_05222001a.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2001/07/02/daily23.html

I have much more than this on Mesa, but this is the basic idea here... And if any JO snitches are reading this you can tell him I said to kiss my a$$! He only WISHES this forum is the only place where I pass on this info!

His big mouth always blows his own deals. If he was half as smart as he is given credit for he would shut his grill!!!

islandhopper said:
I saw it... The tail is still blank. Now can we please get back to bashing Mesa?
Of course it's blank, it's a rental for God's sake.

While I applaud your research in this thread, you're going to end up giving yourself an aneurysm.

Latest resources

Back