Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dash8driver said:
well, make sure you drive it like one.

you know what the difference is between a 4x4 and a rental car?

a rental car can go ANYWHERE!

C'mon Dash8driver, you know that Island Air already does. They fly into Kapalua. I think they'd take less abuse if you welded an arrestor hook on them and flew them onto carriers. :)

As for the 737 comments earlier, now I get it. If this guy can get a group of people to fly 737s at non-union rates... then other companies might jump on it too. Gotcha.

Jeez. Flying sounded a lot more fun when I was growing up talking to the TWA 727 Captain that lived across the street from me in Kansas City, MO in the 70s! I'm almost glad that things worked out the way they did - that I'm not working as a dispatcher anymore, I mean. I really loved the work, but holy crap this industry is just about as unstable as a wolverine on crack.

RJP said:
Of course it's blank, it's a rental for God's sake.

While I applaud your research in this thread, you're going to end up giving yourself an aneurysm.

you're probably right.

Island Hopper,

I'll call B.S. on the fact that J.O. is after Aloha Certificate in order to operate 737's. I agree he wants 737's, as evident by the constant attempt to get payrates from our M.E.C. He has been quoted in various public events that he intends to fly 737's at Mesa. So I'll concede the fact to you that Mesa will one day operate narrow body aircraft (not necessarly 737's). Do you think he needs (or at this point wants) the aloha certificate to do it? NO. We already have the Midway certificate. Also, considering his track record with putting new aircraft on a certificate (ie. freedom), adding 737's to any of the many certificates currently under Mesa control would take all but 3 months. Having said that I do believe he was after Aloha. For reasons I wouldn't dare speculate on he was unsuccesful in his attempts to gain control of your airline. So, as there is more than one way to skin a cat, he decided on this independent venture. Will it be succesfull? I doubt it. If you run the CASM vs RASM for any inter-island flying (regardless of aircraft used) there just isn't alot of money in that market alone. Do you think J.O. is after the inter-island market? No, it is to small and insignificant. He is after something bigger. Just speculating here, (I repeat JUST SPECULATING) he wants Aloha's mainland routes with the possibility to expand to Asia. That is the only "real" value of Aloha's route structure. So while it would have been much easier to take over Aloha that bid failed. We are simply witnessing plan "B." By the way good luck to you and everyone at Aloha with your fight against management. Like you, I would come join any picket line you guys put together.

chicago said:
Island Hopper,

I'll call B.S. on the fact that J.O. is after Aloha Certificate in order to operate 737's. I agree he wants 737's, as evident by the constant attempt to get payrates from our M.E.C. He has been quoted in various public events that he intends to fly 737's at Mesa. So I'll concede the fact to you that Mesa will one day operate narrow body aircraft (not necessarly 737's). Do you think he needs (or at this point wants) the aloha certificate to do it? NO. We already have the Midway certificate. Also, considering his track record with putting new aircraft on a certificate (ie. freedom), adding 737's to any of the many certificates currently under Mesa control would take all but 3 months. Having said that I do believe he was after Aloha. For reasons I wouldn't dare speculate on he was unsuccesful in his attempts to gain control of your airline. So, as there is more than one way to skin a cat, he decided on this independent venture. Will it be succesfull? I doubt it. If you run the CASM vs RASM for any inter-island flying (regardless of aircraft used) there just isn't alot of money in that market alone. Do you think J.O. is after the inter-island market? No, it is to small and insignificant. He is after something bigger. Just speculating here, (I repeat JUST SPECULATING) he wants Aloha's mainland routes with the possibility to expand to Asia. That is the only "real" value of Aloha's route structure. So while it would have been much easier to take over Aloha that bid failed. We are simply witnessing plan "B." By the way good luck to you and everyone at Aloha with your fight against management. Like you, I would come join any picket line you guys put together.

Asia in a 737?

I think you could make Guam - Tokyo

Der Kommissar said:
"Asia in a 737?"

Sure - that'd be the HNL - Wake - Guam - Manila - Tokyo route. :)

maybe he figures if he can eventually operate in india he can outsource from there and whipsaw all the other pilots with 9 year old indian kids. he's probably going to do some contract servicing too. on the cruise portions of the legs, layovers and turns the pilots will have to take calls for dell tech support.

Latest resources

Back