All Airline Pilots MUST READ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
C'mon people...

Did anyone put a gun to your head and force you to accept the jobs you have?

Supply and Demand. Supply of pilots is high, and demand for them is low. Basic economics here.

If the wage and work rules are so bad at some of these places, why is it people are standing in line for these jobs?

Anyone who calls SWA a crappy company is a disillusioned fool! SWA is probally THE most successful airline in history! And, I don't hear many of their employees complaining about their jobs. SWA has found the perfect mix of affordable salaries and product pricing to make them successful. UAL and other majors are failing products.

Also, lets clear up something else. When SWA pilots start retiring in larger numbers, their costs will not suddenly increase. There are pensions funds already established to cover these costs. Pension payments do not come from daily operating costs.

CEO's and management have the task of providing a profit to their investors, not to make pilots millionairs. If CEO's operate an unsafe operation, eventually people will stop flying that airline and they will become un-profitable. Therefore, if the unions went away tomorrow, things would not suddenly become unsafe. If the unions went away tomorrow, Delta 737 Captains would not be making $50k/yr.

ALPA is all about ALPA, not you! The pilots are all about themselves and not their brothers and sisters. The guy at the top would rather keep making his $300k per year and see the company furlough 1000 pilots to protect his pay. Where is the brotherhood in that?

CRJ200FO and others like you, if you don't like what SWA has to offer, then don't apply there. Be done with it, it is that simple. And if everyone feels that way, then their Supply of pilot resumes will be reduced. If that happens, then they will be forced to pay more or give more time off or whatever. That IS Supply and Demand. That also applies to any other airline or job out there. If you don't like what they have to offer don't accept a job there.

JetPilot500
Former ALPA Member

Last edited:
JetPilot500 said:
CRJ200FO and others like you, if you don't like what SWA has to offer, then don't apply there. Be done with it, it is that simple. And if everyone feels that way, then their Supply of pilot resumes will be reduced. If that happens, then they will be forced to pay more or give more time off or whatever. That IS Supply and Demand. That also applies to any other airline or job out there. If you don't like what they have to offer don't accept a job there.

Don't worry, I won't ever being applying to SWA. I won't sink to that level. I'd rather sit right seat on CRJ for the rest of my career.

The problem is that there are many pilots willing to go there and they are driving the salaries in the rest of the industry down. How can the pilots at Airtran for example ask for more money when mgmt can just say "Well, the pilots at SWA are willing to do it for lower. Why should I pay you more?"

It's time that you face the facts that what happens at another airline affects things at the airline you work. If Bigsky pilots are willing to work for $10 an hour then why would PCL be willing to pay me $30? It's another case of pilots f*cking pilots. When you accept lower pay at your airline it drives pay down at mine. If you allowed market forces to determine pilot salaries then a 747 CA would be making $30,000 a year. Don't fool yourself into thinking that mgmt would pay more out of the goodness of their hearts. They don't have any.

Nobody owes you a job.

Umm, ya think? Beech1900D, that is exactly right, and it is kind of my point. Nobody owes you a job, or the right to industry-leading contracts, although that would be great and I hope you get there some day.
However, I am troubled that you think that because I hope the union uses common sense I have "so much animosity for ALPA." Quite the contrary. For example, it would seem to me that the contract extension negotiated with NWA over the summer was an example of good common sense by both parties, considering the times.
I was more speaking to CRJ200 about the situations brought on by the contracts at UAL and USair. They might have been industry-leading for a while, but because of a variety of factors, not just because of their great contracts, their respective companies are leading the industry in concessions. Maybe that's the way to play it though? That's what it seems you are advocating, anyway: Get as much as you can out of the company now, because that next industry downturn is right around the corner. You might be right, although it seems like a strange way to go about it. I'm new at this.
Thanks for the discussion, I'm learning a lot.

dualrated

. . . you still don't get it. S1347 will NOT eliminate all market forces. It may attempt to manage the market in some ways but, again, will not control the market. The old Soviet Union tried to manage it's economy/market in detail. Dismal failure. Can't be done. The market will ultimately prevail.

CRJ200FO, chill out and get some more life experience.

JetPilot500 is right on.

CRJ200FO said:
Don't fool yourself into thinking that mgmt would pay more out of the goodness of their hearts. They don't have any.

You are correct, they won't be paying more money out of the goodness of their hearts.

I work at a Non-Union company now. We are not paying our Captains $30k per year. In fact, many of our pilots are making over $100K per year. The pay has continued to go up through-out the years to retain good employees and attract more good people, not because of a union.

JetPilot500

Re: dualrated

prodigal said:
. . . you still don't get it. S1347 will NOT eliminate all market forces. It may attempt to manage the market in some ways but, again, will not control the market. The old Soviet Union tried to manage it's economy/market in detail. Dismal failure. Can't be done. The market will ultimately prevail.

CRJ200FO, chill out and get some more life experience.

JetPilot500 is right on.

Actually the industry was run pretty well under regulation until 1978. When the airlines were deregulated that's when all the problems really started. Read Flying The Line Vol. II. It has all the details. A free market really doesn't work too well for this industry. The national transportation system is one of the few things that need more gov't control.

Chill out and "get some more life experience" huh? I'll get right on that. In the mean time airline mgmt, Senators McCain and Lott, and the RJDC can destroy the industry I depend on for my livelihood. But I guess I should just chill out, right?

Wake up

JetPilot500 said:
C'mon people...

>>If the wage and work rules are so bad at some of these places, why is it people are standing in line for these jobs? >>

People take low paying jobs to gain experience necessary to obtain the high paying jobs. They don't want the low paying job, they want the experience that will move them up to the Major job. Remove the the pot at the end of the rainbow and you remove the incentive for quality people to pursue that careeer.

>>Also, lets clear up something else. When SWA pilots start retiring in larger numbers, their costs will not suddenly increase. There are pensions funds already established to cover these costs. Pension payments do not come from daily operating costs.>>

I think YOU are the only one who had to have that one explained.

>>CEO's and management have the task of providing a profit to their investors, not to make pilots millionairs. If CEO's operate an unsafe operation, eventually people will stop flying that airline and they will become un-profitable. Therefore, if the unions went away tomorrow, things would not suddenly become unsafe. If the unions went away tomorrow, Delta 737 Captains would not be making $50k/yr.>>

Kindergarten economics and flawed reasoning. Unions exist to protect their workers in the event of a strike (self help) and obviously to protect them from the wrath of management. The airline business is cyclical; it is not supply and demand. If it were an airline pilot would be paid $200,000 during the up times and $20,000 during the down times. When those down times come there must be a way to keep the airlines from reducing wages or raiding work rules, pension plans, etc. You seem to believe an overage of qualified pilots, while a high supply/low demand scenario, would not result in an erosion of the wage scale. How many pilots capable of handling the job safely currently exist on the street? Thousands are currently furloughed from the Major Airlines. Almost all could operate an aircraft with complete safety. To put food on the table how many would work for half wages....... $100,000 vs $200,000??? Once that happened how many would then work for $50,000........vs $100,000?? We'd have an entire industry full of scabs

>>ALPA is all about ALPA, not you! The pilots are all about themselves and not their brothers and sisters. The guy at the top would rather keep making his $300k per year and see the company furlough 1000 pilots to protect his pay. Where is the brotherhood in that?>>

How far would you let the erosion go? To the point where the job didn't pay enough for any quality individuals to pursue it? Once you started where would you draw the line?

>>CRJ200FO and others like you, if you don't like what SWA has to offer, then don't apply there. Be done with it, it is that simple. And if everyone feels that way, then their Supply of pilot resumes will be reduced. If that happens, then they will be forced to pay more or give more time off or whatever. That IS Supply and Demand. That also applies to any other airline or job out there. If you don't like what they have to offer don't accept a job there.>>

Supply and demand exists only in the hiring phase of the airline industry. The most qualified applicants receive the interviews and the jobs. IT DOES NOT EXIST in the daily operation of the airline when the management team is looking to cut costs or the industry has entered a down cycle.

crj200 fo

I'll tell you. Their FA's are much better looking. No Big-Bertha's allowed. Yet, they are not the brightest.

Re: Wake up

Clownpilot said:
Kindergarten economics and flawed reasoning. Unions exist to protect their workers in the event of a strike (self help) and obviously to protect them from the wrath of management. The airline business is cyclical; it is not supply and demand. If it were an airline pilot would be paid $200,000 during the up times and $20,000 during the down times. When those down times come there must be a way to keep the airlines from reducing wages or raiding work rules, pension plans, etc. You seem to believe an overage of qualified pilots, while a high supply/low demand scenario, would not result in an erosion of the wage scale. How many pilots capable of handling the job safely currently exist on the street? Thousands are currently furloughed from the Major Airlines. Almost all could operate an aircraft with complete safety. To put food on the table how many would work for half wages....... $100,000 vs $200,000??? Once that happened how many would then work for $50,000........vs $100,000?? We'd have an entire industry full of scabs.

My company isn't cutting pay. SWA isn't cutting pay. Many other white collar workers (non-union) are not getting their pay cut either in these economic times.

Clownpilot said:
Supply and demand exists only in the hiring phase of the airline industry. The most qualified applicants receive the interviews and the jobs. IT DOES NOT EXIST in the daily operation of the airline when the management team is looking to cut costs or the industry has entered a down cycle.

Companies have to compete with each other in order to retain good employees. My company continues to rank itself with other companies to make sure that we are in-line with the others. If we are not at least in-line with other companies, there would be a lot of attrition, and attrition adds cost. In fact, my company just gave me TWO extra weeks of vacation to remain competitive in the industry. I didn't need a union for that, good 'ol Supply and Demand got me that...even in tough economic times.

Pilots are White Collar workers, and therefore should not act like Blue Collar workers. Don't go and insult all of those people out there working their A$$ off in a steel mill by comparing yourselves to them.

JetPilot500

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back