All Airline Pilots MUST READ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CRJ200FO

Nice to see that you did PFT to get your job.

Thread: "Is PFT Back?"

If that isn't contradictory to all of your statements on this thread, I don't know what is.

JetPilot500

Nice to see that you did PFT to get your job.

Wait a second...CRJ200FO went to Gulfstream and paid for his training, and then called other people dirty scabs and talked about union brothers sticking together? Please tell me that 's not true CRJ. I wanted to at least TRY to think seriously about some of the things you've been saying...

AlphEcho said:

Wait a second...CRJ200FO went to Gulfstream and paid for his training, and then called other people dirty scabs and talked about union brothers sticking together? Please tell me that 's not true CRJ. I wanted to at least TRY to think seriously about some of the things you've been saying...

If you think PFT and unionism are mutually exclusive, then ALPA better start revoking memberships fast. Pinnacle, Comair, ASA, etc.. have all required PFT at times. Many of these pilots that paid for training at these airlines are at majors now. PFT is nothing new. Thousands of pilots have paid for training throughout the industry's history. Especially in the early to mid '90s.

Amazing

It always is interesting to see how long some of these threads take before they sink into the abyss of name calling and puffing the chest out like a rooster in heat.

Like most people who want an airline career would not like to fly for Southwest and receive those substandard wages and profit checks.

The railway labor act may have some good points but the fact is that the airline business is changing. Maybe the fares are too low but you have to look at the customer base and realize that it has changed.

People do things differently today and an industry must keep up with the changing landscape. I email everythiing today, hardly ever use fax or mail which 10 years ago I used all the time.

Aviation labor needs revamped. On another thread, the term LCC was used for low cost carrier. My contention is that there is no such thing anymore. Airlines are all moving to become the same thing. Somewhere in the middle is where they all will land as will wages and work scope. ALPA will change as well. More or less all they have ever been in an association for negotiation.

CRJ,
You go and tell yourself whatever you need to to keep your conscience clear. There are different PFT situations to be sure, but the one you have taken is not one of the easier to excuse. I'm sorry but I'm sick of this BS. If PFT and blind unionism aren't mutually exclusive, they seem to be pretty da@@ near that by my estimation. I have been questioning some of the positions ALPA has taken but one thing I would NOT do is pay to fill a job. I agree with Publisher and don't want to degenerate this board so I'm out...I continue to learn a lot about this industry, and one thing that seems to be true in many arenas is that when people seem to put so much into their heated rhetoric, all that they really have is their heated, empty, rhetoric.

I find it hard to believe someone would claim that SWA does not provide retirement when they have a dollar for dollar company match on the 401k up to the first 7.3% of a pilots salary. For a 30 year pilot upgrading in year 6 of the 30 years, I'll bet that's a couple million to enjoy for 20+ years after 60. All without the benefit of having to worry about getting furloughed for 30 years.

Someone hasn't done their homework on SWA if they believe there is no retirement program. That retirement allows for a pilot to choose where the $$$ are invested, unlike a pension. Much more in line with how other industries in America operate.

SWA is only going to grow. They have requests for service from over 100 cities. I'd take that 401k match, 15 days off a month flying as a CA for 30 years, anyday!!!

Unless a pilot there has 3-4 wives or too many kids to feed, they'll retire at retirement!!!

Mr. I.

JetPilot500, my guess is that you are a corporate pilot. It is not really fair to compare the position you are in to that of the airline pilots. I flew corporate for one year in Atlanta prior to training with the Air Guard and the difference between corporate and airline working environments is night and day in terms of labor management relations. It is great that you received an extra two weeks vacation and you do not feel the need to be represented by a union. In an ideal world, I would not give close to 2% of my pay to ALPA but, that is a necessity given the industry that I work in. If you ever leave your current position and go fly for an airline, get back to me on your thoughts on whether or not a union is necessary. Ask yourself this question, will S1327 in any way affect your career as a corporate pilot? I can guarantee you it will affect the careers of all airline pilots from the 777 Capt. to the EMB-120 FO and not in a positive way. I will continue to pay dues and contribute to ALPA-PAC to defend the career I have worked so hard to obtain. Not trying to bust you chops, I just think you are living in a different world/working environment than airline pilots and it does not appear that you have a dog in this fight so why not just enjoy your extra vacation time and let those of us who will be negatively impacted by S1327 worry about how to deal with it. As someone who grew up in a Republican household that was anti-union, I have learned through experience that ALPA and the right to self help is a necessity in this industry. Airlines get the unions they deserve and leadership must start from the top and work its way down. The difference between Kelleher and other CEOs is that he believed in taking care of your people first and they in turn will take care of the shareholders. Todays CEOs do not understand that concept and the unionism we see today is a direct result of their unwillingness to treat employees in a fair and most of all honest way.

Last edited:
B737G

Thank you for your comments.

Let me first clear this up. I was an ALPA member flying a DC-9 for a national airline. I was furloughed about 1 year ago. I have since taken this corporate job, in large part due to my dislike of working in a union environment.

I loved my job flying for an airline. But something has to change. The "Us Against Them" relationship with management drove me crazy. God forbid I somewhat defended the company in a choice they made. No one was very happy. And it wasn't just my company. Everytime I jumpseated on a "Major" all the crews did was complain, complain, complain. Thats not very fun, IMO.

So, since it wasn't right for me, I didn't go back, even after being recalled.

JetPilot500

Last edited:
CRJ200FO,

YGTBSM!!! You are whining about SWA pilots adversely effecting other airlines contracts and you paid for your job. I think all will agree that PFT was a ridiculous idea and people like you were the ones that kept it alive. You say that pilots everywhere should stand up against management to force them to kiss your a$$ but you were the first in line to kiss theirs. How are you in a position to argue against how an airline does business when you were managements best friend by paying for your job and effectively jumping ahead of others. Don't lecture anyone here about looking out for the bro's when you trampled all over them in your rush to write a check.

Listening to your rhetoric is like listening to Bill Clinton advocate abstinence.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back