Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska offerers 80K to retire is it enough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So what you're saying is, "I'm OK with what's going on, becuase it's good for me." Thanks. I hope you will be volunteering at the soup kitchen my family will be attending often.

No. What I'm saying is by the time the 199 get enough votes to make a change, they may NOT want to change. That's how seniority works.

Maybe someday Americans will relearn what unity means. (Hint: It's not "I got mine, you might get yours if we don't take it from you first.)

Perception is reality. Seniority tends to change perception.

Most of you guys are truly unbelievable. I can’t believe there is so much misinformation here, oh wait it’s FI. It’s the land of rumors. So I called my rep and got some answers instead of coming on here and assuming. I would ask you to do the same, but no matter what is ever said by your rep, I’m sure you have the right answer and they are wrong.

Okay let’s start:
The 1st 60 furloughed pilots have been screwed by ALPA.
  • Has your health care been paid by the active pilots? Yes.
  • ALPA didn’t fight to save my job. Not true. Do you have the facts behind the grievance settlement? I bet not, just pick up the phone and ask. There is interesting history on the 23 language from years back (this would have come out in the System Board) and we would not have won anything (my opinion).
  • I don’t care about settling, I want my day in court. There isn’t a court, just a System Board. Is getting something now better than nothing on the other side?
I got sold out on the new contract.
  • The new language says mitigate and the old said prevent.
  • Sure sounds worse, until the company comes out and says a furlough of 500, and were are flying 40 hour lines.
  • Really, how was that signing bonus? Just ask around to see how other airlines treated their furloughed pilots in a similar situation.

Lines are still at 83, why hasn’t ALPA forced the company to reduce the line values.
  • Hmmmm...... This one is hard; I’ve read the new (and old) contract and I can’t find a violation. Oh wait there isn’t one. The COMPANY builds the lines (and they haven’t violated section 24 or 25 from what I could see), not ALPA. The Company decided to furlough, not ALPA. Why don't you send a derogatory email to your BCP and call them out for Alaska not treating you nicely.
What is up with this POS EO program?
  • ALPA had NO room to negotiate improvements. Why not? You need contract language and we don’t have any that forces a program like this. It’s what “OUR” company put out to prevent downgrades, not furloughs. This is a company problem, not ALPA.
Why hasn’t ALPA pushed more guys into the RBBP and VF?
  • ALPA has informed the pilots of the programs available, and people just aren’t signing up to help out. I haven’t because I can’t afford to. I can do a month to month for a month, but that doesn’t help out the furloughed guys.
Why hasn’t ALPA drop the line average with the new section 23 language?
  • The company must agree as well. From what I was told, the company isn’t interested in reducing line guarantee. Has ALPA tried? I don’t know, but it sounds like the NC was told to go and ask. Time will tell.
FEDEX MEC dropped the line values to help prevent a furlough.
  • Wrong; their management used their contract, and the pilots had NO say so.

So where do we stand. ALPA has enforced the contract (from what I can tell). Many of you have been furloughed, and more are to come. That sucks. Our “management” decided to make the cuts, not ALPA. Our “management” has decided to treat us like s@#t, ALPA can’t change that fact. If everyone in ALPA has a personal agenda, how does “screwing” the furloughed pilots fill someone’s agenda? Bottom line, we don’t have any unity and aren’t acting like a union. Is that our rep’s fault or is our group very self serving (There is still VSA being flown)? The SEA FO Rep is open to be filled in August. Time to put the keyboard down and show up to a meeting for once. I’ll be there (even if I have to call in sick).

Perception is reality. Seniority tends to change perception.

So do drugs, greed, etc. Pick your rationalization.

The union chose a contract that weakened furlough mitigation and allowed pilots to pick up more hours at premium pay.

Most of you guys are truly unbelievable. I can’t believe there is so much misinformation here, oh wait it’s FI. It’s the land of rumors. So I called my rep and got some answers instead of coming on here and assuming. I would ask you to do the same, but no matter what is ever said by your rep, I’m sure you have the right answer and they are wrong.

Okay let’s start:

The 1st 60 furloughed pilots have been screwed by ALPA.
  • Has your health care been paid by the active pilots? Yes.
  • ALPA didn’t fight to save my job. Not true. Do you have the facts behind the grievance settlement? I bet not, just pick up the phone and ask. There is interesting history on the 23 language from years back (this would have come out in the System Board) and we would not have won anything (my opinion).
  • I don’t care about settling, I want my day in court. There isn’t a court, just a System Board. Is getting something now better than nothing on the other side?
I got sold out on the new contract.
  • The new language says mitigate and the old said prevent.
  • Sure sounds worse, until the company comes out and says a furlough of 500, and were are flying 40 hour lines.
  • Really, how was that signing bonus? Just ask around to see how other airlines treated their furloughed pilots in a similar situation.

Lines are still at 83, why hasn’t ALPA forced the company to reduce the line values.
  • Hmmmm...... This one is hard; I’ve read the new (and old) contract and I can’t find a violation. Oh wait there isn’t one. The COMPANY builds the lines (and they haven’t violated section 24 or 25 from what I could see), not ALPA. The Company decided to furlough, not ALPA. Why don't you send a derogatory email to your BCP and call them out for Alaska not treating you nicely.
What is up with this POS EO program?
  • ALPA had NO room to negotiate improvements. Why not? You need contract language and we don’t have any that forces a program like this. It’s what “OUR” company put out to prevent downgrades, not furloughs. This is a company problem, not ALPA.
Why hasn’t ALPA pushed more guys into the RBBP and VF?
  • ALPA has informed the pilots of the programs available, and people just aren’t signing up to help out. I haven’t because I can’t afford to. I can do a month to month for a month, but that doesn’t help out the furloughed guys.
Why hasn’t ALPA drop the line average with the new section 23 language?
  • The company must agree as well. From what I was told, the company isn’t interested in reducing line guarantee. Has ALPA tried? I don’t know, but it sounds like the NC was told to go and ask. Time will tell.
FEDEX MEC dropped the line values to help prevent a furlough.
  • Wrong; their management used their contract, and the pilots had NO say so.
So where do we stand. ALPA has enforced the contract (from what I can tell). Many of you have been furloughed, and more are to come. That sucks. Our “management” decided to make the cuts, not ALPA. Our “management” has decided to treat us like s@#t, ALPA can’t change that fact. If everyone in ALPA has a personal agenda, how does “screwing” the furloughed pilots fill someone’s agenda? Bottom line, we don’t have any unity and aren’t acting like a union. Is that our rep’s fault or is our group very self serving (There is still VSA being flown)? The SEA FO Rep is open to be filled in August. Time to put the keyboard down and show up to a meeting for once. I’ll be there (even if I have to call in sick).

Do you believe everything our MEC and National tell you? Dig a little deeperand get the facts in writing, not by word of mouth from the spin doctors. If it smells like $hit, tastes like $hit, and feels like $hit, then it IS $HIT! We need a better check & balance system. You're right. I'll layoff the keyboard. I'm tired of typing.

That's good news.

QX Buyout

Alaska offerers 80K to retire! Is it enough to get the min 25 required to mitigate more layoffs? I don't think they will get enough but What The F Do I No?

The QX buyout a year ago was 100k for the old guys. And I thought management was cheap then!

Latest resources

Back