Alaska News?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From the March Hanger Notes:

"As the ball gets rolling we anticipate a bid cycle which will bring back 10 of our furloughed
pilots in August with classes of six in the ensuing months. Although still in the development phase, it is safe to say that three small system bids are in the works. The exact bid size and dates are still under review with the goal of balancing the bases with projected flying before next summer."

This is something else that we should work on in the next contract - bids. You can only change bases when the company feels like issuing a bid? Nah. Get rid of that.

This is something else that we should work on in the next contract - bids. You can only change bases when the company feels like issuing a bid? Nah. Get rid of that.

I agree. The monthly "reduction bid" for retirements and medical leaves is completely bogus. If a position is vacated, especially by a retirement, it should be filled immediately. That would require the Company to bring the furloughs back sooner, irrespective of their "training issues."

Has anyone heard any recent rumors about when the next bid is coming our or when the effective date will be?

Flew with ANC LEC rep...showed me an email from KB in crew planning...basically 3 bids effective dates September, DECish and APRish'11. About 20 Captain and 20 FO slots in each bid +/- 1 or 2 (she mentioned exact numbers but I don't remember 18 one month 22 the next etc. about 60 total new positions) ANC and LAX overstaffed by 7 crews each...no reductions, however, 7 crew positions reduced within the year through attrition/no backfill. No mention of what the new position split will be betwen SEA & PDX. New Hires expected Jan/Feb depending on how many furloughees actually return.

This was close to a month ago now...so I'm sure it's all changed.

Last edited:
I don't really know how to read into this stuff, but doesn't 20 captains and 20 FOs mean 40 open positions per bid? If that's the case, shouldn't most of our invol. furloughs be offered a recall by fall?

Do any contract whizes want to take a stab on when the next bid should come out?

BCP said the first of the three will be posted May 20.

I heard they have decided to reduce anchorage around 30 crews over a couple bids, posted soon effective fall winter spring.....They were only going to do the 7 but have decided to do more as of a couple days ago

The last I heard / saw was a reduction of 5 in LAX and 20 in ANC on a bid coming out 5/20.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back