alaska info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flx757 said:
I'll gladly give you my name, number, and exact location on the "second floor" where I do nothing day in and day out except work on behalf of the pilots. Feel free to come by and discuss it anytime. I would be happy to listen to your (and any other pilot who stops by) suggestions on what I can do to improve the MD training program. Or, perhaps you would like to deliver the nuke yourself?

I assume he was not refering to people in the training department like yourself in his post. I believe he was talking more about upper management. At least I would hope so.

Well said

Well said Flx. You sir, are a pilot first, and an instructor second. You have seen many years on the line, you think like a line pilot and you understand what it is all about. I am glad you are with us, I'm not on the MD and able to train with you, but I still know that you are a valuable asset to us.

Now, on the other hand, there are a lot of men on the second floor making rules, writing memos, and tinkering with the family recipe that are so far removed from the line that they have not got a single clue as to how I do my job.

Take our TA for example - any line pilot could have looked at it for 5 minutes and told them that it was a dead fish - but K.F. crafts it, puts his heart and soul into it and sells it to Mr. Ayer who doesn't have a clue as to how poorly he is been served by one of his VP's. Mr Ayer trusts him, thinks that KF knows what he is doing so down the merry path they go, hand in hand. BOOOM - the dead fish explodes and Mr. Ayer is left dazed and confused as to what just happened? Why didn't the pilots go for it? What was wrong with the TA? He doesn't have a clue, cuz he is not a line pilot and doesn't really understand what it is all about. He trusted one of his VP's to get it done, but that VP is so far removed from the line, been behind that desk writing memo's for so long that he can't communicate with or understand the line pilot anymore.

If I were king, I would make anyone on the second floor who has a medical use it! A requirement of one week (say 6 days) on the line for every 6 weeks in the office as a minimum. If you go non-current on the line, then you can't come into the office until you first get current on the line! A guy can dream can't he?:(

Last edited:
How about having Chief Pilots/Managers fly the line one month a year, only they don't get to bid their own seniority number, they bid halfway down the list in their base. That way they get a good glimpse of actual line flying, dealing with hotel issues, flying tired, etc.

Amen! Put 'em on 64/65 and watch them sweat!

Latest resources

Back