alaska info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
alaskaplt said:
I hope so. But don't count your chickens yet. I am still not convinced that is not just a carrot.

Carrot? How many have we retired in the last few years? How many are we going to retire in the next few years? Just to maintain the present size of the airline...we have to hire. Get over it and move on. If you are unhappy, do something about it. Leave or get involved.

A pilot told me that Alaska may go to an electronic application system such as airlineapplications.com and silver bullets will have to be submitted there in the future.
Is Celeste Green a big name in the hiring department?
She was at a job fair and resquested that I have LOR emailed directly to her.

mach none said:
Carrot? How many have we retired in the last few years? How many are we going to retire in the next few years? Just to maintain the present size of the airline...we have to hire. Get over it and move on. If you are unhappy, do something about it. Leave or get involved.

It is not about moving on, being unhappy or doing something about it. What exactly are you telling me to get over? I just simply do not trust anything I hear from airline management until I actually see it happen. This is simply from past experience. I hope you are right. But, I will not even pretend to have the slightest faith in this management team to tell the truth. A lot could happen between now and the next "scheduled" bid.

Does anyone know of the place on BFI that does the sim prep? Is there another good place to go to prep?

Start in the southeast

Jeepman said:
Does anyone know of the place on BFI that does the sim prep? Is there another good place to go to prep?

Juneau
Ketchikan
Sitka

Good places to start.

Kidding. Good luck.

Mach None,

You must be joking. Remember the last bid? They canceled 80% of it. Why in the hel* do you still believe that this company must hire? They can always SHRINK like they've been doing, they can outsource more flying to Horizon, etc. It sounds to me like you are slowly succombing to stockholm syndrome. If you "get over it" you just prove Bill Ayer correct that we'll take anything up the as* and fall into line just so we can be called "alaska pilots". Come on Dude, you need to get over it.

Outsource to QX how so? We have cancelled and consolidate because of the Q400 engine problems and the 200 that is in most peoples mind a total loss. We don't have any extra lift at QX. Alaska at least have airframes on order. We have two a year coming for the next three years, wow watch our growth.

Horizon adjusts flights to deal with recent events
Sept. 2, 2005
Enough with the challenges, already! That's what many Horizon employees are feeling right now, as several teams within our company -- including Maintenance and Engineering, Schedule Planning, Flight Control and Crew Scheduling -- are forced to make adjustments to deal with major events thrown our way.

Engine modifications ordered by manufacturer Pratt & Whitney to all PW 150 engines on the Q400 fleet are causing Horizon to temporarily trim some flights from the fall schedule. The time-consuming modifications were originally estimated to be completed during routine engine overhauls but last month were put on a much more aggressive schedule. (More details about this and other summer challenges are available on this page.)

Initially Q200s were substituted for Q400s pulled off the line, with flights from Portland to Boise, Spokane, Seattle, and Vancouver feeling the effects through Sept. 10. Now additional cancellations and consolidations are on the way.

In addition, the Q200 that was clipped on the taxiway by a Northwest Airlines jet on Aug. 29 has been taken out of service for major repairs that are expected to take several months. That has required even more adjustments.

Markets bearing the brunt of the changes include Los Angeles-Sun Valley, where nonstop service will be terminated after Sept. 11 (two weeks earlier than originally planned) and will resume Dec. 15, and Kalispell and Missoula, where nonstops from Seattle will be combined on one routing Sept. 11 through Dec. 14. The Seattle-Spokane route will also be affected due to the replacement of a Q400 with a Q200 in the early morning and late evening flights from Oct. 29 through Dec. 14.

Last edited:
If the company was really sure they were actually going to have another bid in only 5 months from now, why not just add all or some of those newhires onto this bid. They could make the effective date a year into the future and have no problem.

Latest resources

Back