• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Come on guys - relax - goosefrabbaa- have a sandwitch or something.
Why so much anger and hate towards your company and your union? I don't get it.

You work for a great airline. You are now being paid very well. Some years #2, some years #4 and if we get a big PBP - some years maybe #1. Don't forget that the differance between #2 and #4 is only a buck or two - not $20.

Our management has a good thing going. They are good at making money with a 737. They are looking for 10% ROIC. They have achieved that for the last few years. The best that QX has ever done is 6.5% ROIC which means we are subsidizing them. But somehow, there are those (1/3?) that think it would be a smart business decision to give up 11% ROIC and replace it with 6.5% ROIC.

I hope that American has success and that they can push the bar even further forward. Right now it is speculation, which is why it was not included in any of our negotiations. If they do put together a great package, then you can bet UniCal and Delta will follow suit in a few years, then we will come along a year or so after that and join them. That is the way this industy works - the way it has always worked.

Why all the hate recently? I just don't get it. There seems to be a batch of guys, SNAPS as they have come to be known, who just hate. Look, I understand some of it. Once upon a time early in my career, I remember being frustrated and angry. But I guess that I slowly figured it out - that this is a great company, that I am paid a fair wage, that I have good benifits, that I get to do some cool flying and spend my days off doing neat things - there is really nothing to be angry / frustrated about! I know that upgrade times are not what we would all like, but Alaska Airlines is still one of the quickest upgrading airlines in the nation, second only to LUV. You want high suck? Look at some of the 20 plus years it takes to upgrade at some of the other airlines.
I realize that most will disagree with me. There will be some more poo throwing, probably a lot of "you got yours" and "Captains just don't understand". There will be those who are certain that the RJ's are coming and will refuse to accept reality when they don't show up. I imagine there will even be some more creative language because cussing somebody out on the internet is a time tested tactic. And what time I have spent here on this board, sipping my morning joe before I head off to work, has done nothing (but fire up some SNAPS).
I've been a member of this board for something like 14 or 15 years. I've always enjoyed it. But it has changed into a bunch of haters who do not share my values / opinions anymore. Maybe I've matured, maybe the next generation is different, I don't know. But I'm thinking more and more that there are a lot better things I could do with my coffee time. We use to have discussions on this board. Now it's just cussing and hate. I don't get it.

Thanks for a good one fam62c! That's funny right there!
I am sad that 1/3 of our pilot group voted nay. There is something wrong with those fellas. SNAPS - sensitive new age pilots - I guess.
Lots of chimps running around on these web boards throwing poo, beatin their chest thinking that they are a mossy back low land mountain gorilla.
5 year from now, when the mythical RJ fleet has not taken our jobs, I wonder if they will actually learn anything?

Really? Look yourself in the mirror before you open your pie hole. You've sure changed your tune when you moved to the left seat.

Great job maturing...calling guys names you don't agree with. How about I call you a pretentious, condescending ******************************bag because of your inability or reluctance to see how others ended up on the contract. I came out ok with the pension and pay raise but those who are going to hold my future got shafted....415 of them. By the way, many captains don't share your view that this contract is great. Are they SNAPS too? You need to pull your head out of your butt and realize this contract is not all rainbows and unicorns. Be grateful you got yours and try to understand how others feel. Some will be bitter a long time. You opening your pretentious pie-hole and pouring gasoline on the fire helps nobody.

I don't think that just because you voted "no" you are a SNAP, or whatever that new firestarter term is...

I voted "no" because I thought we could have done better. I had some concerns over scope and the lower end of our payscale. I still enjoy my job, I still want Alaska to succeed as a company, and I am still going to do my best to be a professional every single day.

The TA passed. That is how a majority rules system works. It is time for all of us to get over it. Being bitter is a waste of time and if we truly still have concerns over job security, pay, and benefits then we should make sure that we are working toward those things with LOAs or even start working ahead toward the next contract (ie making sure we have elected the proper people who share our concerns).

Thought we could have done better, but life just isn't that bad.

Just my 2 cents...

If you don't have scope, the rest of the contract really isn't worth much.

Disclaimer, I have know skin in the game but wish you guys the best.

RF

5 year from now, when the mythical RJ fleet has not taken our jobs, I wonder if they will actually learn anything?
tens of thousands of mainline legacy pilots who have been furloughed are wondering just that, what happened to their jobs going to RJ fleets. I bet AK has more than fifty RJ's flying inside five years connecting the lower 48 dots.

Who cares what horizons roic is..that's not the threat..they can have all the 76 seaters they want..the threat to us is the 737-700 replacement airplane..the large rj which will fill the gaping hole between 166 seats on the 800 with the new seats and the 76 seat q-400...every other mainline pilot is gonna be flying those things because of their pesky little scope clauses..that is where all the growth is gonna be in the next 10 years because those markets have had no service since the heyday of the dc-9..where the hell is the growth for Alaska in the 737?? Hawaii? Already maxed out..we already fly to the top 50 cities out of Seattle..portlands nearly maxed..how big can San Diego realistically get..not much bigger..the revenue growth for the "air group" isn't coming from Alaska..oursourcing here we come..but hey at least we are going to be the 4th highest paid with the lowest b plan..so I have that going for me which is nice

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back