• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska ANYONE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This may be a little off topic, but are there any other Alaska guys out there who would like to get off the "On Appraoch" newsletter mailing list? I understand the company's need to serve the cool aide ~ my main complaint is that it's so poorly written (how about a few more overused, technical terms Ben?) and fricking DULL.

How about some information on hiring, growth, etc.? I think most of us by now understand the Supply/Demand relationship between available flying and hiring. And I can think of one or two more useful things to pass along to the pilots than the nit-noid organizational structure of Admin. Or what a great job the crew schedulers do. (Doesn't it go without saying?).

Engage me, Alaska. It's a contract year for God sakes.

akairman702 said:
This may be a little off topic, but are there any other Alaska guys out there who would like to get off the "On Appraoch" newsletter mailing list? I understand the company's need to serve the cool aide ~ my main complaint is that it's so poorly written (how about a few more overused, technical terms Ben?) and fricking DULL.

How about some information on hiring, growth, etc.? I think most of us by now understand the Supply/Demand relationship between available flying and hiring. And I can think of one or two more useful things to pass along to the pilots than the nit-noid organizational structure of Admin. Or what a great job the crew schedulers do. (Doesn't it go without saying?).

Engage me, Alaska. It's a contract year for God sakes.
AMEN!
What a waste of 7 seconds of skimming. I could have skimmed Maxim for the third time and been more satisfied.

Is no news good news?????

Stearmandriver said:
Hey USFlyer... any word? They've kept you hanging for a while now!

No word- I'll call next week to try and get a final answer. Still cautiously optimistic.

The daily drama of waiting for the phone to ring is making me think I'll be a good candidate for Maalox by the time this is over!

Double Amen

I agree with you fellas - Ben's news letter has got to be the worst thing ever put on paper. It takes 30 seconds to skim, it tells you absolutely nothing of any value, and it is printed on paper - so we are actually spending money (just part of what -30% will buy you) on it!

I wonder how long Ben will be here? He is independently wealthy and does not need this job. Going to work at Alaska was sort of a hobby thing for him - until he went from F/O to V/P. That's got to be a nice pay bump!

I find it very interesting that he is going to be on the company's negotiating committee. I have heard that the union does not really trust him after he fired Capt. Spero. I'll wager that Ben will only be here a few more years - he will try to hammer us in our next contract - he will loose of course - then his usefulness is over. He will take his V.P. retirement to add to his other millions and go play in geezerville. Our senior management has a good plan - they have a guy who was once "one of us" but is more than willing to die for the cause. Ben can destroy himself in the eyes of the pilots and he won't care one bit - he has his money with more to come - this management thing is just a fun way to end his career before he fades away. At his previous airline job, Ben showed his true colors when the going got really tough. There is a list "out there" that has Ben's names attached as someone who was once interested in being treated as "special". In other words, he didn't cross - he just made himself available if needed. Nuff said.

I know that we (the brother sitting next to you) will win a good contract. It is just going to be an interesting battle to get there - wading through the stuff from Ben and the others.

Ben's little letter makes a great little sun shade... I have no clue what is going on in the company other than 765's logbook takes 20 minutes to read. Good luck to everyone applying and interviewing, soon you'll be "Livin the dream!". The dream might be a little better at other companies though!

BORAT said:
Good luck to everyone applying and interviewing, soon you'll be "Livin the dream!". The dream might be a little better at other companies though!

Why does this statement turn a little light bulb on in the back of my head? I think all carriers have their little problems that get worked out w/ time - or sometimes not. If you all get your 20-40% back will things turn around or you the same old people still be miserable?

Baja.

Going2Baja said:
Why does this statement turn a little light bulb on in the back of my head? I think all carriers have their little problems that get worked out w/ time - or sometimes not. If you all get your 20-40% back will things turn around or you the same old people still be miserable?

Baja.

When the knife gets pulled from our backs, things will probably improve. However, getting over the whole ordeal is kind of like trying to unexplode a bomb. Time will tell. I've said all along that the total destruction of morale here has less to do about the actual cash and more to do about the bill of goods we were sold when we chose to dedicate our professional lives here. If SWA Screwed their pilots as hard as Alaska did, you'd see a whole lot of dis-illusioned guys too. SWA is too smart to do that however. Billy boy and his gang of former navy rapists are too stupid to understand the concept of "IMPLICATIONS" and how that may translate to the travel experience of our customers starting May 07.

Last edited:
Several people that interviewed in the last few months that were not hired, were also never notified of the decision by H.R.

Company core values:
1) Alaska Spirit
2) Integrity
3) Caring
4) Resourcefulness
5) Professionalism

I guess that these values only need to be adhered to by the flight crews?

ferlo said:
When the knife gets pulled from our backs, things will probably improve. If SWA Screwed their pilots as hard as Alaska did, you'd see a whole lot of dis-illusioned guys too.

Please explain where/how/when the screwing took place. Was something sold to you that you all signed off on and it turned out not to be the case?

I know paycuts suck...but furloughes suck even harder. No flame bait here - just trying to get a feel for what happened.

Baja.

Latest resources

Back