Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Airlines increases hiring minimums.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly. Like most of the bros in my squadron that have YEARS of experience flying high performance aircraft and all of a sudden they are out of the picture. I think it's just a shame that they're gonna miss out on a lot of experience.

I think they would rather have someone from a "crew" airplane instead of someone coming out of an F-15 anyway. Why would you want someone who's done it all by themselfs to come be your F/O for 8 years... I wouldn't - I don't know one good reason an airline would hire a military guy out of a single seat fighter.

I think they would rather have someone from a "crew" airplane instead of someone coming out of an F-15 anyway. Why would you want someone who's done it all by themselfs to come be your F/O for 8 years... I wouldn't - I don't know one good reason an airline would hire a military guy out of a single seat fighter.

INCOMING!!!!:D

I'm bored so I'll respond to this tool. I'm a heavy dude, no fighter experience, but have flown the T-38/37. So.... this coming from a heavy guy won't come accross as arrogance versus coming from a fighter dude.

Most military pilots leave the service for QOL issues. No matter what they flew in the military, many of them choose to make a living flying airplanes because most pilots enjoy flying; that's why we go to work even after managment's continuous abuse ;-) A military pilot, regardless of their flying background, is more than capable of flying for the airlines. In no way am I being arrogan, but that is the fact. If you don't like it, than I'd say you have a serious inferiority complex.

Airline flying is no more than point A to point B flying. There are many reasons why an airline would hire a single seater, aka fighter pilot. For one thing, MOST of these guys finished near the top of their class (not all.... trust me I know). They go through a pretty intensive and competitive training course after getting their wings. Although they do not fly as much as say a heavy guy, but their 1.2s are all hands on, not to mention the complexity of the missions. So, to fly an instrument approach in the weather after an exhauting mission is like parking a car in your garage. A military trained pilot is also a known quantity. I'm sure you've heard of this before. The airlines know exactly what kind of training these guys received from uncle Sam. I'm guessing that when you say "single seat" vs. crew aircraft, you are implying that a "single seat" guy has no CRM experience. That is where pilots who have no clue regarding military aviation should keep their cake hole shut. What do you think formation flying is? As lead of a formation of multiple aircraft, you are the "captain" of the entire flight. You have to have the SA and CRM skills to lead and complete a mission safely and effectively. CRM is easier to exercise when both of the pilots are in the same cockpit.

I flew heavies out of choice and I'm no fighter wannabe, but I don't think one can truly appreciate being a fighter pilot until you've done it yourself. That goes for everything else, so until you've done it yourself, I'd suggest you choose your words carefully.

God this topic drives me up the wall... Once a pilot is trained to proficiency at any particular airline, their background really becomes a moot point... It's all about attitude in my opinion. I came in at AS with a pure civilian background, with no jet time. After we had passed our sims, one of my classmates who flew B52's and I were comparing notes and laughing at how we both made the same mistakes. Two seperate and totally different backgrounds... and yet we were both new in the airplane, trained to the same standards, and got through training in the same amount of time. Once you have a certain amount of experience under your belt it really doesn't matter what you "used to do," as long as you're trainable and have a good attitude.

God this topic drives me up the wall... Once a pilot is trained to proficiency at any particular airline, their background really becomes a moot point... It's all about attitude in my opinion. I came in at AS with a pure civilian background, with no jet time. After we had passed our sims, one of my classmates who flew B52's and I were comparing notes and laughing at how we both made the same mistakes. Two seperate and totally different backgrounds... and yet we were both new in the airplane, trained to the same standards, and got through training in the same amount of time. Once you have a certain amount of experience under your belt it really doesn't matter what you "used to do," as long as you're trainable and have a good attitude.

Well said.

Hi!

I will have 1000 PIC Jet soon, and still be short of 3000 TT fixed-wing. There are a number of guys in that situation.

cliff
YIP

PS-I don't care what the mins are. Whoever owns/runs the airlines makes the rules, because they are in charge. That is life on earth. The only thing we can do is to keep trying. If you want to go there, keep flying 'til you meet the mins.

What is the minimum military committment right now, 10 years? That is 300 hours per year or 25 hours per month. I would think that even a single seat guy could accumulate that time.

3000 is too low. I would like to see most of the airlines be in the 5000 or better. You want a job there, get the time. There should be no expectation to be able to get a job at a "larger"or more desirable airline, just because your squadron buddy is there. There needs to be a set aside of this "entitlement" for either one.

But, Im also one of those wierdos who think you should have to have 1500 or more to be a flight instructor. Silly me.

As far as the dead horse issue of mil/civ issue,

The posts that point (above) to single seat having to do it all......etc etc there are alot of us that (were) single seat, too. There might have been another seat there, but its almost always empty. The single pilot, night freight dog has it hands down to the mil guys in this respect, if you want to compare apples to apples.

Also, the civ guy also doesnt need to close down half of Texas to go fly.

I dont see what the big deal is. There are guys that come through the door with good attitudes and good time, they should get hired. Not, wellllll,,,,we have hired our quota of civ guys now (or mil) we need to pull out lower qualified guys to make our numbers 50/50, or what ever it is for a peticular airline.

If this was done in almost eny other industry, Im sure there would be lawsuits over this kind of preferential treatment. Right?
:beer:

Latest resources

Back