Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Airlines increases hiring minimums.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8instyle

Above Average Member
Just saw this on the website. What a crock.

PilotFull Time - Regular posted 11.07.06Seattle, WA
xx.gif
Requirements
x.gif
Description:
Performs as Pilot in Command or Second in Command in the transport of passengers, mail, or freight, or for other commercial purposes. Responsible for all aspects and conduct of flight to include preflight of required paperwork and restrictions,conduct of safe flight and all post flight duties.

Must have knowledge commensurate with holder of airline transport pilot certificate and have knowledge of all aspects of applicable FARs and AIM.

Pilots airplane to transport passengers, mail, or freight, or for other commercial purposes. Reviews aircraft's papers to ascertain factors, such as load weight, fuel supply, load, route, or schedule to ensure safety of flight. Reads gauges to verify oil, hydraulic fluid, fuel quantities and cabin pressure are at prescribed levels prior to start engines. Communicates with control tower, ground and flight crew.

Domiciles:
Seattle, WA
Los Angeles, CA
Anchorage, AK

Minimum Qualifications:
Experience: Minimum of 3000 hours total pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. Minimum 1000 PIC hours in multi-engine (turbojet/ turboprop) aircraft or single-engine high performance military jet or 750 hours PIC in multi-engine (turbojet/ turboprop) and 2000 hours SIC in multi-engine (turbojet/ turboprop) aircraft or single-engine high performance military jet. Minimum 50 hours flown within the last 12 months.

Education:Four year degree required from an accredited institution.

Licenses and Certificates: Airline Transport Pilot (ATP)

Health: Applicant must hold current First Class FAA Medical Certificate. Vision must be correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Non user of nicotine products.

Legal Status: Applicants must be able to prove legal right to work in the United States. A background check will be completed for each applicant.

Candidates must possess:
-Excellent judgment and leadership skills
-Demonstrated command ability and maturity
-Ability to communicate effectively and learn rapidly
-Sound analytical ability and high tolerance to stress
-Professional demeanor and appearance

***Please note that these are minimum requirements and the majority of our applicants considerably exceed these standards.

Equal Opportunity Employer

It's kinda hard to have 1000 PIC in a jet and not have 3000 fixed wing, isnt it?

It's kinda hard to have 1000 PIC in a jet and not have 3000 fixed wing, isnt it?
Think military guys, especially lower time fighter jocks versus their transport bretheren.

Don't military get a conversion? Seems like it would be fair.

Eitherway, these minimums are a joke, I mean here I am exceeding all published minimums at every airline I've applied to, no incidents, accidents, failed checks, anything... and not a single call.

Oh, I forgot to mention.. I don't know anyone at anywhere that is hiring! ;)

Think military guys, especially lower time fighter jocks versus their transport bretheren.
Exactly. Like most of the bros in my squadron that have YEARS of experience flying high performance aircraft and all of a sudden they are out of the picture. I think it's just a shame that they're gonna miss out on a lot of experience.

Exactly. Like most of the bros in my squadron that have YEARS of experience flying high performance aircraft and all of a sudden they are out of the picture. I think it's just a shame that they're gonna miss out on a lot of experience.

What I find is amazing is the corporate jet world and 135 world..

for a while I flew at a bottom dweller 135 that had citations and their upgrade requirement was 3500TT and 1000 Multi engine.. so in effect an F16 pilot with 3000TT was unable.. on the other hand, an idiot they hired right into the left seat of a Citation 560 (I was a 3300TT FO at the time, but mind you, had prior 121 PIC in ATR 72's and 2000+ turbine multi).. anyway, this idiot came from Empire flying caravans and flew Cessna 414's before that.. so his total experience in jets was 0, and his highest altitude flights were in the teens' in prop's... They deemed him "qualified" as a captain and he ended up running out of gas (or damn near) after landing with 6 gal in the plane.

This is the kind of twisted logic in of our profession that drives me crazy.

Those mins are very reasonable...but then again, we've had 6 resignations in 6 weeks so maybe they should look at something else other than mins. They're far to arrogant for that though.

Those mins are very reasonable...but then again, we've had 6 resignations in 6 weeks so maybe they should look at something else other than mins. They're far to arrogant for that though.
Something else other than mins is right. Not taking anything away from other lines of experience, a guy that has 1500-2000 of fighter time has been flying jets for 10-15 years. That's a lot of aviation experience that this friggen company is thumbing their nose at. These mins are NOT alright. They need to be back where they were. They always have the option of not taking certain people that don't have "3000". But they have effectively eliminated a lot of experience by imposing these mins.

Latest resources

Back