Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Airlines increases hiring minimums.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The ego's on this thread are nuckin futs. Flying is not rocket surgery. Nasa's taught monkeys to fly.

But in all seriousness, could the minimums just be posted as a way to narrow down the amount of applicants that the airline receives. Kind of like the college degree requirement. Everybody knows that you don't need a college degree to fly an airplane but it sure cuts down the number of guys applying when you require one. I always thought the two most important questions in a new applicant would be: Is this person trainable? Does this person have the personality to get along with the rest of the pilot group?

As far as the military vs. civilian portion of the thread. I've never flown for the military so any comment that I make would be suspect. I can say that I'm flying 121 now and it's not very difficult. 135 single pilot in a multi piston aircraft in the weather (below the flight levels) is some of the more difficult flying that I've done. Maybe that should be listed as a requirement.

The ego's on this thread are nuckin futs. Flying is not rocket surgery. Nasa's taught monkeys to fly.

But in all seriousness, could the minimums just be posted as a way to narrow down the amount of applicants that the airline receives. Kind of like the college degree requirement. Everybody knows that you don't need a college degree to fly an airplane but it sure cuts down the number of guys applying when you require one. I always thought the two most important questions in a new applicant would be: Is this person trainable? Does this person have the personality to get along with the rest of the pilot group?
Yeah, my guess is it's just to whittle down the number of candidates. It just seems a little short sighted to me, that's all.

Let's settle this for all time...

Ok, let's get this straight for all time! Military is better than civilian, er, I mean civilian is better than military, ah, what I mean is fighter is better than transport, darn it, bomber is better than fighter, ok, ok, Navy is better than Air Force, or maybe the other way around. You know what I mean, one is better than the other--isn't it? Ok, ok, I know it for sure... anyone who takes any of these positions is a dumb @ss. Questions? WS

P.S. When you demean a person for flying a particular type of airplane you're also a dumb @ss. PPS Trying to explain why any type of flying is better than another is even more dumb @ss. IMNSHO

I'll see your 5500 hours and raise you 4500 autopilot-free hours just to get hired into 7 years of Metroliner wrangling. I'm guessing 11K or so before I ever said the word "push" in an airplane.

Good luck getting there my friend. Just remember, each day you stay in the game, two quit. Keep the faith and see you on the line soon!

Good luck getting there my friend. Just remember, each day you stay in the game, two quit. Keep the faith and see you on the line soon!

Uh, I'm already "there." Thanks for the concern.

Latest resources

Back