AirTran to announce new city

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FLB717 said:
Guys lets chill a little here. Redfag just wants to get a flame. It proves that not all Pilots are stand-up people and that he is the lower form of Pilots and thought in NWA, dont bite.

General,

Your simple fares affect only 6% of our routes. Most of that is used to attack you code-share partners and JBLU. But it has cost DAL million and put downward pressure on revenues.

If we did move the operation to CVG (I like it) I am sure gates would be found with little trouble, but the impact to your bottom line would be great. Just be glad we are in DAY and not CVG, unless you neeed a ride.

What gates? You obviously have never been to CVG (lucky you). Seriously, there aren't anymore open gates. Really.

Bye Bye--General Lee

PS---I am betting that Saginaw MI and Trenton NJ are your next two cities...

General Lee said:
What gates? You obviously have never been to CVG (lucky you). Seriously, there aren't anymore open gates. Really.

Bye Bye--General Lee

PS---I am betting that Saginaw MI and Trenton NJ are your next two cities...

I'm betting they're going to Hickory, NC and Tupelo, MS. That's why DL will be sending ASA there, to compete with them the Delta way! :rolleyes:

FLB717,

Your quote here is interesting:

"Your simple fares affect only 6% of our routes. Most of that is used to attack you code-share partners and JBLU. But it has cost DAL million and put downward pressure on revenues."

Only 6%? What? Simplifares affects walkup fares on every flight from ATL. That is what we are doing, going after the walk up people that don't want to pay $1500 each way for walk ups. You guys have poached a lot of our customers that couldn't afford the high walk up fares, and now we want them back. A lower percentage of our pax were paying those super high fares, and we will now make that up and more with medium fares ($499 or $599 for first) walk ups, which you have been advertising too.

As far as our code share partners, NW has very little LCC competition (besides Sun Country from MSP and Spirit from DTW---and they are quite a bit smaller than Airtran), and CO owns two out of it's three hub cities (CLE and EWR). I can understand that they are angry, but that doesn't address our problem. Song was created to deal with Jetblue, and so far it has been doing a good job regardless of what people say on this board. So, Simplifares was created to combat primarily you guys. We will see how it goes.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
I'm betting they're going to Hickory, NC and Tupelo, MS. That's why DL will be sending ASA there, to compete with them the Delta way! :rolleyes:

Yeah, our CRJs do a great job competing against their 717s..... NOT. But, after thinking it over, I now think the new cities are Madison WI and Elko NV.

Bye Bye--General Lee

"Song was created to deal with Jetblue, and so far it has been doing a good job regardless of what people say on this board".

General, considering the losses DAL is posting, how can you say Song is doing a "good job"? All DAL is doing with Song is matching the fares and trying to prevent jetblue from growing, but at a loss rate that is not sustainable. Don't take my word for it, the DAL numbers are there for all to see.

Dizel8 said:
General, considering the losses DAL is posting, how can you say Song is doing a "good job"? All DAL is doing with Song is matching the fares and trying to prevent jetblue from growing, but at a loss rate that is not sustainable. Don't take my word for it, the DAL numbers are there for all to see.

(In my best General Lee voice) "Yeah but Song flys to all 3 NYC airports..."

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
Spoken like a true idiot. How many have you guys put in the dirt over there? Yup. That's what I thought. And how many NWA pilots does it take to fly a plane . . . three and a fifth . . . . blah-blah-blah.

KMAMF

Your never-got-hired-by-the-big-boys attitude clearly rears its ugly head in this most moronic post. Spoken like a true critter.

Mr B.,
In all fairness to Ty, he didn't start this pissing contest.

Dizel8 said:
"Song was created to deal with Jetblue, and so far it has been doing a good job regardless of what people say on this board".

You don't know how Song is doing, and neither do I. Grinstein said it was profitable in a public forum, and he could be held accountable for that. I bet Song is doing well, since we added seats and we use those planes more. The reason the rest of the airline is a mess is because we have taken a long time to change the rest of the operation. It has taken awhile to figure out that DFW was (and has been) losing way too much money. It has taken awhile to get our ATL operation more efficient. (operation clockwork) It has taken awhile to get labor concessions (always painful...for me too) We got that done, but it has taken a long time. And, in the mean time, Leo and his boys wished USAir would go away, and it did not. Now Leo and his boys are GONE. Leo did see the need for Song, but that was one of the only things he did constructively IMO. He saw that our 737-200s on Express were going to lose miserably to Jetblue. We needed something comparable, and Song did it. Song does well, it is just the rest of the airline is slowly coming around, and hopefully not too late----but better late than never......

Latest resources

Back