• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran recalls all furloughed today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anybody know if (and how many) there are pilots who bypassed the recalls and, if so, when do they need to make a decision to either come back or surrender recall rights? Also, has anybody heard about any potential new-hire classes from the pool?

Thanks, I'm glad to see pilots getting their jobs back. There's way too many of us out of work right now so I hope that with cheap fuel some of the other carriers start bringing some people back and increasing their aircraft utilization. Best of luck to everybody.

Does anybody know if (and how many) there are pilots who bypassed the recalls and, if so, when do they need to make a decision to either come back or surrender recall rights? Also, has anybody heard about any potential new-hire classes from the pool?

Thanks, I'm glad to see pilots getting their jobs back. There's way too many of us out of work right now so I hope that with cheap fuel some of the other carriers start bringing some people back and increasing their aircraft utilization. Best of luck to everybody.

I have heard the recall % varied. The first batch was 75%. Heard the next group, only a little over 60% even called back to say they were or were not going to accept the recall. I do not know how many actually accepted. But I have heard the company was caught off guard by the number not returning on such a short furlough (HMMM.... you threaten to fire us and there might be some animosity?) When i went through recurrent I ran into two non furloughed guys who were just waiting for new jobs(non flying) to start before they quit. I have even heard rumors of hiring, probably dependent on how many accept recall. Welcome back to those who come back.

I just hate to see mentioned that they are needed for the summer schedule... So are you getting furloughed again in fall?

I have heard the recall % varied. The first batch was 75%. Heard the next group, only a little over 60% even called back to say they were or were not going to accept the recall. I do not know how many actually accepted...

So 75% accepted recall out of the first round, then something less than 60% accepted from the second round, so at least a third took a pass. Is that about right? Does a pilot get more than one bypass?

Post 9-11 recall rates were lower than that due to contract degregation and pilots finding jobs they wanted to keep. In some cases 20-25% acceptance rates for legacies occurred, the lowest by far in history, which averaged 80-90% acceptance prior to 9/11.

Wow....classic 'knee-jerk' furlough, huh?
I don't know if I would call it "knee-jerk". Jet A was over $4/gallon, we were bleeding cash during our traditionally most profitable season, credit card companies were getting restless and increasing holdback percentages, and some people were saying oil was going to $200/barrel. Even the great Southwest was still locking up additional 2009 hedges during last summer.

Thankfully, Jet A is low enough to allow us to increase utilization and get everyone back on the property. Lets hope the Milwaukee and Caribbean flying Fornaro mentioned at the Raymond James conference today produce strong enough revenue that we decide to do some growing prior to 2011.

So 75% accepted recall out of the first round, then something less than 60% accepted from the second round, so at least a third took a pass. Is that about right? Does a pilot get more than one bypass?

Post 9-11 recall rates were lower than that due to contract degregation and pilots finding jobs they wanted to keep. In some cases 20-25% acceptance rates for legacies occurred, the lowest by far in history, which averaged 80-90% acceptance prior to 9/11.

But most of our guys were only out for 4 months. Those guys were out for 4 years.

Latest resources

Back