• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran recalls all furloughed today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just had an airtran guy jump on us - he said the recalls are some attmept from the company to cover the summer flying and somehow save money when they are re-furloughed in the fall.

If this is true, and I haven't heard that it is. This would make it all the more important for the union to enforce the language in our contract for vacancy awards, thus causing the company to suffer the maximum financial penalty possible in training costs. If we hit them in their pocket it will take away any financial incentive to behave this way. Let them off the hook (like the NPA did on the vacancy award last month) and they'll continue to think they can treat our pilots like temp. workers and abuse our contract.

Maybe one more reason to bring in ALPA. I don't think they would have been so quick to cut a deal with management on this and get nothing in return. Yet another missed opportunity for the NPA.

It's a rumor that's made the rounds on the internal boards, I don't think there's an actual source for it, just the big question: "What happens in the Fall when we do the normal drop-off in frequency and block hours drop?"

That's why I was saying the guys that found other jobs and have training contracts *MIGHT* want to exercise their rights under the contract to stay out, keep that job, because it looks like they *MIGHT* need those jobs again come Fall.

Hopefully not, but everything in life is a gamble...

So 75% accepted recall out of the first round, then something less than 60% accepted from the second round, so at least a third took a pass. Is that about right? Does a pilot get more than one bypass?

Post 9-11 recall rates were lower than that due to contract degregation and pilots finding jobs they wanted to keep. In some cases 20-25% acceptance rates for legacies occurred, the lowest by far in history, which averaged 80-90% acceptance prior to 9/11.

Doubtful it was that low.....And you found this info where?? (enquiring minds and all)

Read my signature below......

For one people on these boards also dont understand is that under LOA 9 guys that were furloughed still gain seniority for another 180 days or otherwise 6 months.

Actually the contract already provides for this in Sec 17

"After a pilot’s release from service due to a reduction in force or furlough, the pilot will
continue to retain his respective seniority position, but, will not accrue longevity for
pay purposes after a period of 180 days from the reduction in force or furlough date."

Just my 2 cents, but now the company knows exactly how much it costs to do the furlough/downgrade/transition thing now. If Jet A prices stay low and we do a normal post labor day cut (about 15% ASM) instead of the 2008 25% post labor day cut, we should be able to get through the slow fall/winter season by just bringing the LVI back down to the mid 70's. In addition, with the staffing problems that have occurred in the right seat since Labor day, I would think the company is going to be using more generous FO staffing levels going forward which should keep everyone on property after Labor Day 2009.

Found it? Dude, I lived it. I am the source! Ha!

Sorry about the tough love your company handed out....

Maybe on your property that was the recall rate, but painting all the majors with that broad brush isn't too accurate.

In addition, with the staffing problems that have occurred in the right seat since Labor day, I would think the company is going to be using more generous FO staffing levels going forward which should keep everyone on property after Labor Day 2009.

The 11 new daily departures out of MKE should help as well.

Speaking of which, does this put MKE in the running with BWI for AAI's next hub, or is BWI still way ahead?

Maybe on your property that was the recall rate, but painting all the majors with that broad brush isn't too accurate.

It was common knowledge, as well as info put out by avaition media, that recall rates were abysmial. It was easy to remember because on average it was the old rate of 80/20 flipped to 20/80 industry wide.

I'm more curious what your basis is for refuting it. What did you read/hear/experience?

Latest resources

Back