• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran recalls all furloughed today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As crappy as LOA 9 was, it did at least include some protection from this happening again. It prohibits the company from firing probies without cause.
Au contraire, mon frer... this is one of the reasons I was so angry about LOA 9; it doesn't protect FUTURE new-hires:

"Notwithstanding any provision of the Agreement that may be deemed to provide to the contrary, the Company agrees that no pilot CURRENTLY EMPLOYED as a pilot with the Company who has not completed his probationary period will be terminated without cause..."

In other words, the only people protected by LOA 9 are the pilots who were employed on DOS of that LOA. Which does us absolutely ZERO good as the returning pilots will be OFF probation by the Fall and any FUTURE new-hires can still be canned without cause.

This is one of the big reasons MemRat passed. Side letters were being signed that don't give us jack in protection and got nothing back that does us any good. From now on, ALL side letters need to come to the pilot group to close up the holes you can drive a mac truuck through.

They use this contract as toilet paper; they violate the contract willfully every day; what makes you think they won't do it again?

I'll say it again: until there is a new contract in place that protects new-hires and the company has a change of heart on how they treat their employees, be very careful coming to work at AirTran.

It could be a GREAT place to work, but it's going to require a lot of work to get it there first.

Nope, I'm still fired from AirTran for my union involvement and killing 2 T.A.'s and still awaiting Arbitration, but thanks for your concern.

I'm certain that's why you posted, right?

p.s. Does "Browntothebone" translate into "full of sh*t"? Just wondering...

Nope. It means "gainfully employed and a profitable airline." Quite unlike Lear70.

All Hail the new Village Idiot!

Nope. It means "gainfully employed and a profitable airline." Quite unlike Lear70.

I don't know you, but I do know Lear, and I can tell from your post that you aren't fit to carry his flight case, little man.
----------

Ty Webb
(delivering well-deserved comeuppances to idiots like yourself on F.I. since 1996). :cool:

I don't know you, but I do know Lear, and I can tell from your post that you aren't fit to carry his flight case, little man.
----------

Ty Webb
(delivering well-deserved comeuppances to idiots like yourself on F.I. since 1996). :cool:

How's that big pay raise you said that you would be getting in your new contract working out for you?

And evidently not an English major, or drinking early in the morning.

Either way, your posts only serve to point out not only your own IQ shortcomings but also your only purpose here on FI: to post useless brown fecal matter... so keep posting, please. :)

So all the guys on probation that were fired have to re-interview and if hired start from the bottom again?

So all the guys on probation that were fired have to re-interview and if hired start from the bottom again?
No.

The company was furloughing and, per the contract, the company had to release the training center retirees and fill their positions with active pilots before they could furlough an active pilot.

The company didn't want to do that, so the company was threatening to fire the probationary pilots to get around that restriction.

The union caved and signed a side-letter that "allowed" the company to keep the instructors in exchange for "only" furloughing the line pilots rather than firing them.

The legality of the whole maneuver was questionable, and although it protected the furloughees, it came at the cost of teaching management that threats, fear, and intimidation still works well on this pilot group. Until the pilots stop giving in to those kinds of tactics, we're never going to get a good contract. It's just that simple.

Au contraire, mon frer... this is one of the reasons I was so angry about LOA 9; it doesn't protect FUTURE new-hires:

Correct. I thought you were talking about the recalled guys possibly getting fired, which can't happen (assuming the language can hold up). Newhires would still not be protected, which is something we really need to fix in the next agreement.

This is one of the big reasons MemRat passed.

Yeah, I'm familiar. ;)

Correct. I thought you were talking about the recalled guys possibly getting fired, which can't happen (assuming the language can hold up). Newhires would still not be protected, which is something we really need to fix in the next agreement.
Yeah, BIG miss by the people negotiating LOA 9... Just makes one MORE thing to have to negotiate for.

Personally, I'm a big fan of going into negotiations, laying the stack of things they've violated and changed the status quo over the last 4 years, say "Fix these with NO required give-backs from us or we won't even sit down at the table". They say no, ask for immediate release into self-help, then walk out.

But that's just me... Personally, I'm surprised more pilots aren't quite simply DONE with playing nice. It hasn't worked in the last 3 years, why will it magically start working now?

The gloves really DO need to come off, and AirTran pilots need to start saving up a strike fund. Period.

Yeah, I'm familiar. ;)
I thought you might be...

So new hires have no contractual recall rights?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back