• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Recall Results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA's main goal is to recapture lost wages due to bankruptcy filings at their Legacy-represented airlines, Delta included.

Anything that helps them accomplish that goal, including increasing OUR salaries for SNB aircraft, only helps them.

I'm not jumping on the ALPA bandwagon quite yet; there's quite a bit of strong feelings both ways in that argument and a lot of history that has left a bad taste in my mouth, but no reason to add black helicopter "they'll throw us under the bus" conspiracy theory to things.

but no reason to add black helicopter "they'll throw us under the bus" conspiracy theory to things.

Why not? Most of the FO's on this site seem to think all of us captains are throwing them under the bus. I know it's not the same but might as well stir the sh!t pot.

ALPA has $87 million in the Major Contingency Fund (MCF). If the TWA pilots are able to convince some moronic judge that they deserve some money (highly unlikely), then the MCF will easily cover the payout without any need to raise dues. I was actually a supporter of raising dues when I was a rep to increase the funds in the OCF, but Captain Beebe was steadfastly opposed and said that he couldn't foresee any circumstances that would require a raising of the dues. Captain Beebe still has over 3 years left on this term, and I doubt you'll see dues raised at all during that time.

last i heard the TWA folks were hoping for a lot more than $87 million. if they prove ALPA sold them out to APA (by trying to bring the APA back into the fold - and they have documents detailing this) the career expectations payout for each and every pilot there could easily exceed $87 million. this payout isn't including punitive damages if ALPA is shown to have maliciously acted.

like you said, it still must be proven in court.....

last i heard the TWA folks were hoping for a lot more than $87 million.

They can hope for whatever they want. Not a chance in hell that they'll get even a fraction of it.

Why not? Most of the FO's on this site seem to think all of us captains are throwing them under the bus. I know it's not the same but might as well stir the sh!t pot.
LOL - I like to stir the pot from time to time, also, but I don't get that from the F/O's at all.

Several of them have flown with senior CA's who fit that mold (I had lunch next to a guy several weeks ago who openly said he was voting for it and nothing I could say would dissuade him - he didn't care about anyone else).

But, by a FAR cry, those guys are outnumbered by the Captains here who have been F/O's within the last few years, remember what it's like to struggle on F/O pay with a family, or just plain have the moral fortitude to watch out for the little guy - they're just built that way.

A LOT of you CA's fit that description, and I applaud you and thank you for it. Those are the kind of people who will keep the bar from lowering any further...

As a former TWA and Alllegheny pilot again I say F&^$ ALPA. The only thing they do is give money (your dues)to the democrats. And I remember hearing ALPA offered each TWA pilot $80,000 as a settlement. If that's what they paid out assuming 2400 pilots I believe that's in the neighborhood of $192,000,000. That was turned down if the info I was privvy to was correct. I could really care less if I get a penny from alpa but if a huge settlement or award is given I hope they go bankrupt. Id give my share to charity to see those aholes go down in flames. If we wanted a real negotiating team we'd get the Netjet guys. They earned huge raises and a retro check that would buy a frigging kickass car not 6 months worth of gas!

As a former TWA and Alllegheny pilot again I say F&^$ ALPA. The only thing they do is give money (your dues)to the democrats. And I remember hearing ALPA offered each TWA pilot $80,000 as a settlement. If that's what they paid out assuming 2400 pilots I believe that's in the neighborhood of $192,000,000. That was turned down if the info I was privvy to was correct. I could really care less if I get a penny from alpa but if a huge settlement or award is given I hope they go bankrupt. Id give my share to charity to see those aholes go down in flames. If we wanted a real negotiating team we'd get the Netjet guys. They earned huge raises and a retro check that would buy a frigging kickass car not 6 months worth of gas!

Tube, I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. Maybe you could repost, without sugar coating the issue

If we wanted a real negotiating team we'd get the Netjet guys. They earned huge raises and a retro check that would buy a frigging kickass car not 6 months worth of gas!
That's because management their knows that their pilots control customer retention.

HUGE difference.

If a Netjets pilot decides to go on the warpath, the owners leave, the company loses MILLIONS. AirTran's passengers are just looking for the lowest fare, and will come back again if we have it, even if they had a crappy experience last time.

I know the Netjets MEC Chair, we used to fly together; he's in the very enviable position of having the leverage to keep management in the mindset of keeping their pilots happy...

Not saying your view of ALPA isn't valid, especially given what all you TWA guys went through; that was just plain WRONG. Just making sure that you understand why Netjets pilots are in a better relative position for bargaining.

Edit: Nevermind. Wasting my time arguing with the anti-ALPA zealots. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well after I was furloughed for a few years I also had the pleasure of working for Flight Options for 2 years. If companies like that are the competition to Netjets, the owners won't go anywhere. Options is the Kmart and Netjets is the Nieman Marcus. Maybe Citation Shares is real competition, but the fact is Netjets is bigger, better, etc. If people are treated crappy anywhere they will leave, pilots or owners/customers. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I know there is going to be a mass-exodus at Airtran if this TA goes through. We need no nonsense leadership, with a clear vision, who communicates to the pilots. And when they poll them for direction they actually follow the groups' wishes. I guess that's all I was saying those guys went in after a weaker union leadership was thrown out and got a great deal for the Netjets guys.

And to be crystal F*&^ ALPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back