AirTran QOL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CAVOK69 said:
i am currently corporate now. fly single pilot on a citation, and i am looking for a job with a better schedule/ benefits. I also would like to live in Atl. so i'm thinking it would be a good fit. Hopefully with some luck I can snag an interview.

Unfortunatly i'm low on TT.... its above mins but on the lower side. I'm hoping they will consider quality of time rather than simply quantity.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Hope you got 500 hours of 121 PIC. They won't even talk to you if you don't.

"You Sir, are the idiot. We are ordering aircraft,turning profits and growing like crazy! This place will never go out of business!! we have a great business model, alot of dedicated employees and a proven track record.
I suggest you go back to writing childrens books."

Whenever I hear stuff like that I get nervous. Nothing is perfect.

"This place will never go out of business!!"

These words were spoken by pilots at:

Eastern
Braniff
Pan-Am (Pan-Am 2, Pan-Am 3)
Independance
Kiwi
Midway
Jets-Go
Southeast
Great Plains
National
Vanguard
Panagra...

Shall we go on?

CapnVegetto said:
Hope you got 500 hours of 121 PIC. They won't even talk to you if you don't.

not true, airtran has corporate and military pilots, the 121 thing isnt a hard rule

BenderGonzales said:
"This place will never go out of business!!"

These words were spoken by pilots at:

Independance

Shall we go on?

I don't think we at Independence were ever that cocky! We were always on pins and needles, starting from the Tom Moore Tour of Hate & Discontent (spring 03), UEX rebidding, Bain, Mesa, Independence announcement on July 28, and beyond.

jt

Thumbs Up Here

FWIW . . . hired Feb 06. 15 total in class with 9 737 slots, and 6 717 slots. The 737 went senior (everyone in the class bid for the 737 first). Completed OE in May, sat Reserve in June, got a line in July. Last quarter AirTran announced they were exercising the rest of their 737 options. From a news release April 27:

"AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today announced that the airline has converted purchase options to firm orders for fourteen new Boeing 737-700 series aircraft for delivery in 2008 and exercised purchase rights for ten more of the same aircraft type for delivery in 2010. This exercise completes the airline's original order of 100 aircraft placed with Boeing in 2003. The airline currently operates 26 Boeing 737-700 series aircraft and 85 Boeing 717-200 aircraft -- making it the world's largest operator of the Boeing 717 and the airline with youngest all-Boeing fleet in America."

I think we're up to 30 737s now.

Compared to my previous employer, its night~n~day. No pun intended. When I come to work, I have fun; and make a little money. Life is good.

Mr. Burgundy,

I know you are something of a "big deal" and that you own many leather bound books.

Perhaps I can send you a signed copy ( leather bound of course ) of my latest childrens book:

"Pinchy Meets The Big Head Boy" ?

Or, would you prefer the classic:

"Gary the Gecko Hangs With Gephardt and Gertrude" ?

I defer to your ultimate wisdom in all matters aviation related.

AirTran Rules.

YKW

P.S. - Airlines are still for idiots. I know...I am an "Airline Pilot". Whoopdie-Friggin'-Doo.

Last edited:
nice... Well I really want to get the ball rolling with airtran at this point. If some of the pilots who are familiar with average hiring experience can fill me in on what is typical i would appreciate it.

I currently have around 2500 TT 800 PIC jet 1200 jet 3 types. Is this way too low?

Was talking to our recruiters the other day about a buddy who I'd really like to see get hired here and was told he needs at LEAST 2000 PIC 121 Turbine to really get seriously looked at, especially since he's only flying turboprops.

I was also told that you MUST attend an AIR, Inc conference and meet and greet the hiring peeps. I saw a stack of resumes on her desk about a foot deep and that was JUST from recommendations in the last WEEK.

Bottom line, 99.9% of the applicants have to have internal recs and you have to come to one of Kit Darby's seminars.

I didn't ask about minimum total time... Most people with the 1000 hours of 121 PIC usually have about 3,500 - 4000 total time, coming from 500 or so hours of basic instruction through Comm Multiengine cert, then about 2,000 hours over 2-3 years as a regional F/O than another year or two as a CA for that additional 1,000, giving you half a decade or so in 121 ops. I "hear" most of the people in class have upwards of 5,000+ hours.

For what it's worth, 717 reserve sits are going to start going upwards of 8-12 months. I finished in May with 3 people below me on the 717, two 717 pilots in the class behind us, 4 more in the class behind that, and small classes just started. So now, two months later, there are 9 people below me with 46 Reserve lines last bid packet for the F/O's. 3-4 more 717 F/O's per month = 10-12 months unless there's a BIG hiring spree of 717 peeps.

737 Reserve is going fast, maybe a month or two; 737 guys in my class were within 1 or 2 people of holding a buildup line in July.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back