AirTran profitable for 7th consecutive year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Eagleflip said:
Congrats Airtran! Great work in a hostile environment (fuel, for starters).

Only wish we at JB could be so fortunate for the year...:0

Did JB post a loss for the year? Fuel must have really hurt.

boeing747-800 said:
...time will tell who wins I'm betting AAI,LUV,UAUA,AMR will be around but then again that's a guess.

Wow, I hope you're right, but who really knows for sure until you're 60 and looking in the rear view mirror.

I'm glad we made a profit, too, and I hope White Plains is a big hit for us.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot...

GO STEELERS!!!!

boeing747-800 said:
I love how Ty rips United...a few years ago your comment would've got it's ass kicked...

I've been making these same comments about United on this board since 1997 . . . . you just weren't around here to see them.

time will tell who wins I'm betting AAI,LUV,UAUA,AMR will be around but then again that's a guess. Personally I have an affinity for UAL they've always treated me well and I consider them the best trained pilots in the business.

They would need to have the best training to make line pilots out of some of the scrubs they hired from our University. Sure, they hired some good people, but they also hired some of the least capable and least experienced pilots I have ever seen.

Andy said:
And this is the reason why I posted the link.
I did not predict anything; I blah, blah, blah . . . .

Once again, you have yet to defend your premise. As I have stated twice before, the Legacy carriers have been dumping seats into the market, right into bankrupcty, and beyond. Flame away, pal.

You wouldn't know the truth if it came down the steps of your parent's basement and caught you living down there in the dark, cursing the LCC's for your plight instead of putting the blame where it rightfully belongs, on the head of your management and union.

Ty Webb said:
Face it, Andy, what I said was true, and all your name calling and attempts to "spin" the issue don't change the facts-

The Legacy carriers are in bankruptcy because they are dumping seats into the marketplace at a price below their cost, to the extent that they are losing money on an on-going basis. How much money? Enough to drive them into bankruptcy.

Does AirTran having a $400,000. loss last quarter compare to that? No, it doesn't. Did you come off like an idiot predicting we would lose money for the year, yes you did. Are you man enough to admit you called it wrong? Apparently not.

If we start dumping seats into the marketplace and are headed for bankruptcy, buddy, you'll know about it. Until then, you'll have to just pretending that we're in the same boat with your beloved United . . . . not!

Lots of luck when they take the training wheels off, though. . . . . with $65. a barrel oil, you're gonna need it. . . . we're hedged.

Right, the legacy carriers are in bankruptcy because they dump seats in the market place below cost. Has nothing to do with the fact that airtran and other LCC, Luv aside, are willing to do the job for half the pay. Enjoy maxing out at 150k with no retirement and poor work rules.

800Dog said:
Right, the legacy carriers are in bankruptcy because they dump seats in the market place below cost. Has nothing to do with the fact that airtran and other LCC, Luv aside, are willing to do the job for half the pay. Enjoy maxing out at 150k with no retirement and poor work rules.

Spoken like a true idiot. Pilot pay as a percentage of CASM really isn't what makes or breaks an airline, far from it.

The lowest pilot CASM right now is ATA and they are on life support. USAirways pilots are making less than AirTran pilots . . . . . so why is AirTran making money when U isn't? And SWA Captains are making more than any Legacy airline is paying, yet their company makes money . . . . go figure.

So, keep telling yourself that pilot pay is the key, though, if it makes you feel better. . . . . it sure makes your management feel better.

By the way, I like our work rules just fine, I have a healthy "B" fund that I own, and $150K isn't a limitation around here.

Have a nice life.

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
Spoken like a true idiot. Pilot pay as a percentage of CASM really isn't what makes or breaks an airline, far from it.

The lowest pilot CASM right now is ATA and they are on life support. USAirways pilots are making less than AirTran pilots . . . . . so why is AirTran making money when U isn't? And SWA Captains are making more than any Legacy airline is paying, yet their company makes money . . . . go figure.

So, keep telling yourself that pilot pay is the key, though, if it makes you feel better. . . . . it sure makes your management feel better.

By the way, I like our work rules just fine, I have a healthy "B" fund that I own, and $150K isn't a limitation around here.

Have a nice life.

Thanks for making my point for me sport. You could have made significantly more, with better work rules and a DB plan if you were not such a whore. I would call you an idiot but, that would be an insult to the real idiots out there. If you like your current contract so much, why don't you accept managements latest proposal? Give us some more high school educated drivel. Please!

Ah, another nutless wonder who lacks the testicular fortitude to tell us who he works for (if anyone) but is an expert on everyone else's situation.

Better work rules, huh? You don;t know squat about AirTran, that's for sure. Let's see, I flew just under 600 hours last year, but was paid for over a thousand. How much better do you think my work rules need to be? I guess if I was furloughed, and was getting paid a few thousand dollars a month but flew zero hours, then I would be in your club, right, tough guy?

Get a job!

Ty Webb said:
Ah, another nutless wonder who lacks the testicular fortitude to tell us who he works for (if anyone) but is an expert on everyone else's situation.

Better work rules, huh? You don;t know squat about AirTran, that's for sure. Let's see, I flew just under 600 hours last year, but was paid for over a thousand. How much better do you think my work rules need to be? I guess if I was furloughed, and was getting paid a few thousand dollars a month but flew zero hours, then I would be in your club, right, tough guy?

Get a job!

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. If you only flew 6oo hrs last year and got paid for over 1,000, your company has some serious issues. I think your full of it Ty boy

Ty Webb said:
Once again, you have yet to defend your premise. As I have stated twice before, the Legacy carriers have been dumping seats into the market, right into bankrupcty, and beyond. Flame away, pal.

You wouldn't know the truth if it came down the steps of your parent's basement and caught you living down there in the dark, cursing the LCC's for your plight instead of putting the blame where it rightfully belongs, on the head of your management and union.

My premise? ty, stick to monosyllabic words; it's quite obvious that you have no idea of the definition of premise. As can be seen in the original thread, I did not put forth ANY premise. I merely applied YOUR premise to YOUR airline.

I have not made any comments blaming all LCCs for United's current financial malaise. You have quite a talent for fabrication and embellishment.

As a sidenote, I'm quite impressed with your misuse of the apostrophe in the above quoted post. Two for two. Here are some links that may help: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mattpowe/cartoons/english_02.html
http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif
http://www.angryflower.com/plural.gif

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back