• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran posts 4th quarter profit of 1.9 million

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
birdman1 [FONT=&quot]One of three outcomes will happen with this deal.

1.) Both pilot groups reach a fair SLI that pleases both sides. This will not only lead to a successful merger but a major force to reckon with in the airline industry. This is a very unlikely scenario. But, I hope I am wrong...this deal will be good for both the employee and the customer.

I agree, unfortunately. Every time I go to work this dominates the conversation with every pilot. The pilots at SWA are very concerned about this SLI. And not for the good.

2.) DOJ does not approve the deal. I'm sorry to say, but this is very likely. Can't go into the details.

This is also a distinct possibility. Many deals have fallen through because of difficulty through the process. Many deals have also fallen through because of the unions not coming to terms on transitional and seniority issues. The controlling companies 6000 pilots at this time DO NOT like what they are hearing on the line largely from the ones of the likes of "Ty Webb". The flight attendants at 10,000 strong are now and I quote "are beginning to freak out" about this integration. These two SWA groups DO NOT want this integration. I know our leaders and if they think this may affect our core service, this deal is dead.

3.) Another USAir/AWA...this is also very likely. You SWA guys just cannot get off your high horse. When are too many stables enough? Bad karma is about to catch up to you.

Protecting ones career and family is not being on a high horse. If this resembles anything like US/AWA, these groups will not be one.

The bottom line that sums up this SLI is that the AT pilots love this opportunity and the SWA pilots want it to go away. But the AT pilots on this board just don't get why the SWA pilots want to guard their own turf. The career expectations for the AT guys just got a tremendous boost. SWA pilots on the other hand will have lower career expectations or seeing someone have more seniority than they do with 17 years less dedicated time in service. That is like someone cutting in line in front of you. A line you have been waiting in for 33 years.

SWA pilots understand how the AT pilots feel and the opportunity that lies in front of them. We think the AT guys don't give a crap what our legitimate concerns are and yet they will be working under a much better contract and relationship with management that has bee forged for close to 40 years. I speak for SWA pilot group that it appears that the AT pilots just don't respect the opportunity we are giving them. SWA management didn't give us our working conditions, we ALL earned them. A little respect and understanding would go a long ways at this point.

[/FONT]

I just hope the AT guys are great full for AM and B/M just like I am. Because with out it, hate to say it it's just business.

The flight attendants at 10,000 strong are now and I quote "are beginning to freak out" about this integration. These two SWA groups DO NOT want this integration.
It is not just the pilot's and F/As that don't want this it is the mechanics as well. So that is 3 of the biggest unions at SWA that has major concerns about this acquisition.

Hey Snoop D O Double G you and the other pilots over there at SWA aren't giving us Airtran pilots anything. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. So stop with the sniveling about our not "respecting the opportunity you are giving us." You sound like a spoiled child. It is undignified and unbecoming.

There is absolutely no evidence to support yours and others claims that any of the likely SLI outcomes will in any way delay an upgrade opportunity or diminish at all anyones career expectations. All speculation and conjecture not backed up with a shred of verifiable data.

You call for "a little respect and understanding." Well that is a two way street cuz and thus far based on the inflammatory nature of the things you've said in this thread and others you are deserving of neither.

Thankfully your laughable claim to "speak for" the pilots at SWA is far from the case and in the end the grown ups will hash this out.

We are like spoiled children, we are not deserving of respect or understanding, and our claims laughable that us children will have the grownups hash it out....

These responses absolutely further inflames a dicey situation. In a casual conversation with an assistant chief, he asked what I thought of the purchase and I asked him what have others been saying. He said although this may be good for the profit margin, largely he is concerned about what he is hearing about what the Airtran pilots are saying and hopes that Gary is listening.

This is what I guess would be "unverifiable data". When half of your unionized work force is not supporting this purchase, I know our highly respectable executives will take pause and say, is this worth it? Or, is there a way around this without frustrating at least half of our core work group?

This is a business before it is our careers.

Call us what ever you want. This is who we are. You don't like it maybe you should start looking for a place you will feel like more of a fit. You will be miserable here at our company if you can't understand or respect our concerns of outsiders coming in.

Thankfully your laughable claim to "speak for" the pilots at SWA is far from the case and in the end the grown ups will hash this out.

Man, ain't that the truth! I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself. . . . Some of the SWA guys on here are even claiming to speak for the mechanics now. . . :laugh:

Man, ain't that the truth! I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself. . . . Some of the SWA guys on here are even claiming to speak for the mechanics now. . . :laugh:

I can say that the mechanics are as concerned as the pilots and flight attendants. That is what the two, three or four mechanics that I see every trip say about what their work group is talking about.

Latest resources

Back